Linux

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Constant Freezes on Linux with Nvidia GeForce GTX 980, garbled audio

Author
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2017-04-11 01:10:29 UTC
Hello All!

I've posted this bug here: https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1003271/debian-jessie-crashes-when-playing-eve-on-wine/?offset=2#5124974

and here:

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=859634

I can play for about 20 minutes sometimes, sometimes for hours.

There comes a moment when the whole system freezes. Control Alt Del doesn't work, ssh cannot log in (sockets not open), full system freeze. :)

At one point I thought it was the PSU being too low, I bought one that definitely would cover all bases and have enough to spare. That didn't work either.

Anyway, wanted to see if anyone has had this issue, if you've resolved it, and if so, how!
#2 - 2017-04-12 11:52:19 UTC
no issue under ubuntu.

Tthe drivers made system crash in previous versions though.
Brute Force Solutions
#3 - 2017-04-12 19:15:23 UTC
It need to be reported upstream. Your link to the nvidia bug don't show up, they did remove it no maybe it need moderator approbation?

Switching distribution is not a solution, Blob need to adapt to different kernel, xorg and userspace. Hope they are willing to fix it and not do like they did to me when I was using a Nvidia card the last time (We don't need to fix it, just add "nosmp" boot parameter and reboot to fix the issue... with meant for me "return to the shop where you just brought your card and get an AMD one instead")
Minmatar Republic
#4 - 2017-04-14 17:57:19 UTC
Thanks guys for the feedback. Appreciate it, and good to know that there are some other people that have run into this.

nvidia bug removed. Urgh. Maybe it did need mod approval, however, I haven't heard form a mod or an nvidia employee on this yet.

Weird though that it was removed or unable to be downloaded.

In any case, I haven't gotten a reply from them. I do think it's the drivers, but unfortunately, I hadn't seen this issue when I bought the card and was mainly playing on Windows.

I do believe the culprit here are the drivers, but it's just a gut feeling right now.
Brave Collective
#5 - 2017-04-14 18:49:53 UTC
I had a similar issue, could be totally unrelated as my gpu is an amd 390, but worth a shot: only while playing EVE, sometimes after 30 mins, sometimes hours, system freeze.
I tried a lot of solutions: custom kernel, download alternate binary blob, CSMT or nine, dedicated Xorg server... nothing helped.

Turned out i had to set a custom gpu fan curve to keep the card cooler, even though the max temp I registered was 85C. Probably the default relies on downvolting the gpu to keep the chip cool or whatever, my card is an ASUS and has a "0dB" stock curve that keeps the fan off most of the time (idles at 65C, go figure).
Brute Force Solutions
#6 - 2017-04-14 19:50:40 UTC
Arshes Jakuard wrote:
I had a similar issue, could be totally unrelated as my gpu is an amd 390, but worth a shot: only while playing EVE, sometimes after 30 mins, sometimes hours, system freeze.
I tried a lot of solutions: custom kernel, download alternate binary blob, CSMT or nine, dedicated Xorg server... nothing helped.

Turned out i had to set a custom gpu fan curve to keep the card cooler, even though the max temp I registered was 85C. Probably the default relies on downvolting the gpu to keep the chip cool or whatever, my card is an ASUS and has a "0dB" stock curve that keeps the fan off most of the time (idles at 65C, go figure).

DON'T use blob for AMD cards

Use mesa and Gallium nine for easy FPS*2 and way more stability.

For the fan speed, I got some issue on my RX480 and I got to edit the BIOS to put higher fan RPM. The Max was set to 2200 buit the real supported max for my saphire was +-5400. The card was throttling constantly until I patch the BIOS. Note that edition BIOS will make your card BSOD on Windows as Blob don't like when people fix there s**t.

Note that if your card crash with the Blob and with Mesa, you might actually have a problem.
Minmatar Republic
#7 - 2017-04-15 14:27:22 UTC
Arshes Jakuard wrote:

^^^ Have the same symptoms and experience. Sometimes I think it's fixed, sometimes it crashes like nobody else's business. Might try this, as in might change the fan speed. How did you adjust the fan speed curve?