Player Features and Ideas Discussion

 
 

Capital EW ships instead of Titan EW defence nerf

Author
Caladrius Alliance
#1 - 2017-04-15 06:26:33 UTC
I've seen the EVE fanfest recording, and in the Ships and Modules section they briefly grossed over their thoughts about decreasing Titan's resistances against E-War. I don't think this is a good approach. I even think it should be buffed even more, with the introduction of the concept I give below.

I personally am not involved in flying capital ships so I can't really say what is best, but I don't like the thought of being able to blob a Titan with sub capital ships and render it ineffective. With doomsdays not being an AOE weapon anymore for quite some time now, I think it is much harder for the Titan pilot to counter sub capital blobs, while the attackers aren't taking much of a risk at all since they are bringing sub capital ships instead of multiple capitals.

So, my idea here is to introduce a new capital E-War ship that can project effective E-War onto capital size ships. Possibly with the options to choose from hitting hard on capitals, or affecting a whole bunch of sub capitals.
I think this would do better in terms of forcing the aggressors to take more risks when deploying E-War onto capital ships, and to also help smaller scale groups to gain a foothold in capital combat.

I'd love to hear what you guys think about this.
#2 - 2017-04-15 06:44:57 UTC
I think you've missed the point a bit, the idea is probably to open up sub-cap options for countering Titans and Super Capitals, not to further reinforce the "Bring caps or go home" meta.
Caladrius Alliance
#3 - 2017-04-15 07:02:22 UTC
Cade Windstalker wrote:
I think you've missed the point a bit, the idea is probably to open up sub-cap options for countering Titans and Super Capitals, not to further reinforce the "Bring caps or go home" meta.


Okay, then what's the point in flying big expensive capitals when you can have much cheaper alternatives?
#4 - 2017-04-15 07:15:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Cade Windstalker
Rei Kuroki wrote:
Cade Windstalker wrote:
I think you've missed the point a bit, the idea is probably to open up sub-cap options for countering Titans and Super Capitals, not to further reinforce the "Bring caps or go home" meta.


Okay, then what's the point in flying big expensive capitals when you can have much cheaper alternatives?


Because they're *way* more effective per hull on the field than those cheaper alternatives. This is like asking why anyone ever flies anything but T1 Noobships. They're free! Best ISK efficiency ever! Except, you know, not because you'll almost never win a fight that way.

Dropping the ECM resist on Capitals a little won't suddenly make them worthless, and it certainly doesn't need to be increased.

CCP have flat out stated that Titans are not supposed to be a one-ship wrecking crew. One Titan is not supposed to counter a sub-cap blob, it's supposed to die to it unless it has a lot of ships supporting it.
Goonswarm Federation
#5 - 2017-04-15 10:14:36 UTC
I wasn't aware that lance, sickle or GTFO doomsdays and high angle guns weren't enough for a titan to use against subcaps.

Not to mention the support fleet and other titans he'll have with him.


We already have capital ewar too, what with the ewar projectors supercarriers get...
Brave Collective
#6 - 2017-04-18 14:42:29 UTC
Rei Kuroki wrote:
Cade Windstalker wrote:
I think you've missed the point a bit, the idea is probably to open up sub-cap options for countering Titans and Super Capitals, not to further reinforce the "Bring caps or go home" meta.


Okay, then what's the point in flying big expensive capitals when you can have much cheaper alternatives?

Why buy a steak when you can have a hot dog?
Hole Control
#7 - 2017-04-19 08:15:30 UTC
Rei Kuroki wrote:
I've seen the EVE fanfest recording, and in the Ships and Modules section they briefly grossed over their thoughts about decreasing Titan's resistances against E-War. I don't think this is a good approach. I even think it should be buffed even more, with the introduction of the concept I give below.

I personally am not involved in flying capital ships so I can't really say what is best, but I don't like the thought of being able to blob a Titan with sub capital ships and render it ineffective. With doomsdays not being an AOE weapon anymore for quite some time now, I think it is much harder for the Titan pilot to counter sub capital blobs, while the attackers aren't taking much of a risk at all since they are bringing sub capital ships instead of multiple capitals.

So, my idea here is to introduce a new capital E-War ship that can project effective E-War onto capital size ships. Possibly with the options to choose from hitting hard on capitals, or affecting a whole bunch of sub capitals.
I think this would do better in terms of forcing the aggressors to take more risks when deploying E-War onto capital ships, and to also help smaller scale groups to gain a foothold in capital combat.

I'd love to hear what you guys think about this.


Good idea make the blob harder to counter.

-1
Caldari State
#8 - 2017-04-19 18:08:34 UTC
Realistically I hardly see any other counters for supers but more supers.

That's like having a rock so big that paper can't cover it anymore. Scissors starts screaming because holy crap that rock is gonna mess up its world.

In the above world the only counter is to have your own big rock, and start mashing them together like action figures till one of them breaks.


Now, paper's a little bigger so that it can cover rock. Scissors can still mess up paper real quick. But now rock can't just roll over scissors all day long and laugh at paper while doing so.


Elemental Tide
#9 - 2017-04-20 22:25:29 UTC
I like the idea, but I would modify it a bit.

In general, I think EWAR support to a fleet should allow you to hit above your class. Capital EWAR would just give you some more options to hit at your class. I would say there should be battleship-sized EWAR, which ignores EWAR resistance. It wouldn't be able to be fitted on anything smaller than a battleship in the same way grapplers can't be fitted to anything smaller. This way, it would give subcaps some options other than nuets in order to counter caps, and would encourage more interesting fleet designs.

It could also be combined with modifying BSs so each faction has an EWAR BS, not just Caldari, which may also help navy faction BSs feel a little more unique.
Forum Jump