Ships & Modules

Hull tanked Gnosis

Author
#1 - 2017-05-06 18:49:52 UTC
Being a Caldari Alpha, I've just struggled with my tank. I tried different ways of shield tanking and just wasn't satisfied. Armor tanking is out of the question.
A corp mate was playing around with an Orca, and with a hull tank, it is awesome.

So, I tried a hull tank on my Gnosis. I like it! It almost seems with the equal resists across the board, the Gnosis was made for it. I've done a lot of L3s with it. In only a couple of the "harder" missions did I barely get into hull.

As an Alpha, I'm almost maxed out on my relevant skills. Here is my set up:

Rigs:
2xTransverse Bulkheads II
1xTransverse Bulkheads I

High:
5x250mm Prototype Gauss (Caldari Antimatter)
Tractor Beam I

Mids:
10mn Monopropellant AB
2xOptical tracking comp.
2xLimited Invul. Flds (helps some)
large compact Pb-acid cap battery

lows:
3xMagnetic Field Stabs II
2xReinforced Bulkheads II
DC II

5x Integrated Hornets

I have over 50,000 ehps! And I am cap stable with the AB on.

IMO, this works very well for me. Just thought I'd put it out there.

-Viv

Always remember Tovil-Toba, and what was done there.

Amarr Empire
#2 - 2017-05-07 21:57:33 UTC
I may give that a try except I have lasers.

I can make an easy adjustment from armor to hull.
The Wraithguard.
#3 - 2017-05-08 16:19:31 UTC
not worth flying unless you have t2 guns!
Blaster one rocks hard
Caldari State
#4 - 2017-05-08 17:53:40 UTC
If you want an active shield-tanked option to compare with, I've had good luck with a missile fit that I'll copy below.
It does require some Alpha skills to be maxed. It also has roughly 60 to 80 DPS less than your turret fit, but can cap-stable tank ~290 incoming DPS. You'll need to pulse the AB or the SB to preserve cap if you want them both, but honestly I rarely find myself in a missile boat using both simultaneously for long periods of time.

I haven't tried adapting this to a turret fit, but suppose someone who knows hybrid weapons better than I do can try.

I do really like your passive armor fit EHP - and I also wonder how much EHP a passive shield-tanked Alpha Gnosis can put up? Would be a fun comparison to see.

[Gnosis, Alpha / A-Shield / H-Missile]
Co-Processor II
Damage Control II
Ballistic Control System II
Capacitor Flux Coil II
Capacitor Flux Coil II
Capacitor Flux Coil II

10MN Monopropellant Enduring Afterburner
Large Shield Booster II
'Stalwart' Particle Field Magnifier
'Stalwart' Particle Field Magnifier
Limited 'Anointed' EM Ward Field // (swap resists per mission)
Limited Adaptive Invulnerability Field I

'Arbalest' Heavy Missile Launcher // (swap ammo per mission)
'Arbalest' Heavy Missile Launcher
250mm Prototype Gauss Gun // (or tractor, or salvager)

Medium Capacitor Control Circuit I

'Integrated' Hobgoblin x5
#5 - 2017-05-08 18:41:03 UTC
seems like you might as well just go shield tank if you are mission running. if you are just barely getting into hull why even bother hull tanking? You are using a bunch of slots to effectively do nothing.

This is a pretty similar setup with more damage and a shield tank.

[Gnosis, Cal Alpha]
Magnetic Field Stabilizer II
Damage Control II
Drone Damage Amplifier II
Drone Damage Amplifier II

Pithum C-Type Medium Shield Booster
Optical Compact Tracking Computer, Optimal Range Script
Large Compact Pb-Acid Cap Battery
10MN Monopropellant Enduring Afterburner

250mm Prototype Gauss Gun, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge M
Small Tractor Beam I

Caldari Navy Hornet x5
Federation Navy Hobgoblin x5
Imperial Navy Acolyte x5

@ChainsawPlankto on twitter

#6 - 2017-05-08 21:31:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Major Vivian Francis
Thanks y'all.

But as I mentioned, I have tried many different shield fits, from passive to shield boosting, and dual ancillaries. Just didn't like them.

Chainsaw, I did try a fit almost identical to the one you showed. Just didn't care for it, but you made a good point. If I'm going just going into hull as the mission ends, then why not shield boost and then go into hull, if at all? Hmmm. But, when I'm just going into hull I'm losing about 15%. That 15% of 14,000 hps, which is about 2100 hps. That is ok, but if my hull as it's normal 4800 hps without hull tanking, then I'm not leaving much room for error. If I'm accepting the fact of going into hull and not worrying about it, then why not go back to a shield tank and not worry about it.

Blasters. I have thought about using them, but I like the range of the rails.

Also, there really isn't much difference between Prototype rails and the T2s. Only benefit from T2 is that I could use T2 ammo. Benefit from protos is that they use less cap per cycle. Otherwise, they have the same specs, of cycle time and damage. Oh, the T2s use more power and cpu. So if I don't use T2 ammo, I better off using the Protos.

Missiles would be a very good choice, but I only get 1 missile skill. Must be because of my bloodline and ancestry. (didn't know that until now.)

Thanks again.

-Viv

Edit: I had to go look! Alphas can't use T2 250mm rails. We're stuck with Protos, which is not a bad thing.

Always remember Tovil-Toba, and what was done there.

The Wraithguard.
#7 - 2017-05-09 14:55:24 UTC
If you want really good tank, armor and hull is the best option
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2017-05-10 19:11:49 UTC
Skelee VI wrote:
If you want really good tank, armor and hull is the best option

For PvE you dont need better tank than passive shield tank with mission hardeners. You want the low for full damage rails and drones.
#9 - 2017-05-11 08:49:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Andrew Indy
Major Vivian Francis wrote:
Thanks y'all.

But as I mentioned, I have tried many different shield fits, from passive to shield boosting, and dual ancillaries. Just didn't like them.

Chainsaw, I did try a fit almost identical to the one you showed. Just didn't care for it, but you made a good point. If I'm going just going into hull as the mission ends, then why not shield boost and then go into hull, if at all? Hmmm. But, when I'm just going into hull I'm losing about 15%. That 15% of 14,000 hps, which is about 2100 hps. That is ok, but if my hull as it's normal 4800 hps without hull tanking, then I'm not leaving much room for error. If I'm accepting the fact of going into hull and not worrying about it, then why not go back to a shield tank and not worry about it.

At the same time if you are boosting more than 2000 EHP during the whole mission then you would never hit Hull.

The big thing to know is that once you hit higher level PVE content (Unless you are in a fleet with Logi) its almost impossible to tank with buffer alone (not to be confused with passive tank, shield regen). Buffer is more for PVP.

Major Vivian Francis wrote:

Also, there really isn't much difference between Prototype rails and the T2s. Only benefit from T2 is that I could use T2 ammo. Benefit from protos is that they use less cap per cycle. Otherwise, they have the same specs, of cycle time and damage. Oh, the T2s use more power and cpu. So if I don't use T2 ammo, I better off using the Protos.

An Alphas cant use T2 Guns , T2 guns do however gain up to 10% bonus from the spec skill and have access to T2 ammo so there is a good reason to use them.