Intergalactic Summit

 
3 Pages123Next page
 

Recent spike in Wormhole signatures - a cause for concern?

Author
Caldari State
#1 - 2017-05-12 22:43:26 UTC
While I've seen this highly unusual event discussed on a different holonet site, I've noticed that this forum has been strangely silent on the subject, and I'm not sure why.

Very recently, the J-space system of J120455 was found to have an absolutely enormous number of confirmed WH signatures, numbering some 392 within scan range. A Dropbears Anonymous pilot first reported it, and supplied a number of images from his onboard instruments.

Massive amounts of signatures were confirmed by the pilot(s) to all lead to various C2 wormholes, and the exits were even mapped out. As news spread, public combat records indicate that the system subsequently became the site of combat between a number of different parties, all pouring through the hundreds of connections. This was no mere systems malfunction or mass false-positive, although the BAERS pilot did report that the presence of so many WH signatures did disrupt his equipment. Other J-space pilots reported that a similar event occurred in a c6 wormhole quite some time ago.

After about half a day, the holes collapsed, apparently all at the same time, and no re-emergence of the phenomena has yet been reported.


I'm not a J-Space pilot, and have no real working understanding of the science behind the wormholes, but it strikes me that such an enormous disruption of spacetime, the sudden appearance and subsequent collapse of this many mass/grav events must be destabilizing to the space around them, and perhaps the otherwise somewhat predictable(?) system by which the wormholes appear and disappear. I know there must be pilots with much greater insight into these events on this forum, and I have to ask: Is this evidence of wormhole instability to come? What's the cause for this kind of spike in connections, and can that many wormholes in one place present a danger to nearby ships/planets/celestial bodies?
Goonswarm Federation
#2 - 2017-05-12 22:58:31 UTC
Speaking as someone who lived in j-space for an extended period, the mathematical odds of that phenonon happening randomly in infinitesimal.

That said? It's not impossible. And none of the evidence you've cited indicates the directionality of those connections. If all of those connections originate in the indicated system, that would be beyond any known consistent behavior of Anoikis. If, on the other hand, they're all K162s (ie: originating from the other C2 wormholes) then that's statistically unheard of... but feasible.
Monyusaiya Industry Trade Group
#3 - 2017-05-12 23:33:41 UTC
We did stumble across this system in our chain.

I've long suspected that static connections are a type of failsafe acting in a damaged transit network. I guess this is what happens when the failsafes on that failsafe break down. It appears to've been a transient fault, but It is worrisome, and not just because it'd further fray the already short tempers and sanity of our habitual scanners.

I'm reminded of a short conversation I had with Stitch, not too long ago, about the amount of faith -- or engineering -- required to risk settling in a wormhole for any length of time.

Even though our love is cruel; even though our stars are crossed.

#4 - 2017-05-12 23:56:22 UTC
Probably Sansha´s wormhole generation equipment malfuncioning, or Drifter testing theirs, or Sleepers, Or Jove, or one of the Empires, or the Rogue Factions, or, as most likely, the universe behaving outside our espectations.

Makes people wonder how certain some models and predictons really are.

But then again, only cause of surprise for those who think this universe is real.

Join Project Transcendence.

Applied technology for the enhancement of human experience.

Goonswarm Federation
#5 - 2017-05-13 00:14:12 UTC
Two points:
First: the Drifters don't need to test theirs. They're Jovians. They understand very well how their wormhole generators work, and they've demonstrated that they can use them extremely accurately.

Second: It doesn't matter if this universe is real. We can only ever interact with the universe as our senses present it to us, so even if it's not real, there's no reason to behave as if it's not.
#6 - 2017-05-13 00:25:07 UTC
Arrendis wrote:
Two points:
First: the Drifters don't need to test theirs. They're Jovians. They understand very well how their wormhole generators work, and they've demonstrated that they can use them extremely accurately.

Second: It doesn't matter if this universe is real. We can only ever interact with the universe as our senses present it to us, so even if it's not real, there's no reason to behave as if it's not.


First: We know the Drifters have Jove biology. That they are Jove is another matter. Put my infomorph in a Jove body and i´ll probably have access to a lot of interesting tech not currently biocompatible. And since this kind of event is unusual, who knows how much they can manipulate the fabric os space at once? Could be a test, could be the prelude of a large scale invasion, could be come conflict with Sansha resulting in some malfunction. Need more input to process properly.

Second: Open your eyes and see, then you can talk about senses and how to interact with the dreamstate. You can bend the universe in certain ways with an adequated state. (And then you´ll realize that it is not the spoon that bends, only yourself. And then that there is no self)

Join Project Transcendence.

Applied technology for the enhancement of human experience.

#7 - 2017-05-13 00:43:02 UTC
I was rather disappointed that we didn't find this hole before the phenomena apparently ceased. I knew it'd be a hell of a thunderdome with that many connections.

What I'm curious about is whether other places would've seemed relatively.. empty. Or cut off, perhaps, since so many systems temporarily connected to this one system.

Only the liberty of the individual assures the prosperity of the whole. And this foundation must be defended.

At any cost

Goonswarm Federation
#8 - 2017-05-13 01:51:26 UTC
Morgana Tsukiyo wrote:

First: We know the Drifters have Jove biology. That they are Jove is another matter.


Before you can add an assumption, you have to demonstrate that the evidence we see demands it. Given that we know the Drifters are biologically and technologically Jovian, there's no reason to introduce the idea that their infomorphs have some other point of origin. The data doesn't require it. So to even put forth the idea is irresponsible and useless.

Quote:

Second: Open your eyes and see, then you can talk about senses and how to interact with the dreamstate. You can bend the universe in certain ways with an adequated state. (And then you´ll realize that it is not the spoon that bends, only yourself. And then that there is no self)


Demonstrate—in a repeatable, reliable, and falsifiable way—that there is anything beyond the universe. Then we can talk about interacting with it.
#9 - 2017-05-13 02:08:06 UTC
Arrendis wrote:

Before you can add an assumption, you have to demonstrate that the evidence we see demands it. Given that we know the Drifters are biologically and technologically Jovian, there's no reason to introduce the idea that their infomorphs have some other point of origin. The data doesn't require it. So to even put forth the idea is irresponsible and useless.



I´m not saying they´re not Jove, so i´m not adding any assumptions. I´m just not going so far as to say they are Jove. They appear Jove, that´s for sure.

That´s all i can say on the matter with the current data.


Arrendis wrote:

Demonstrate—in a repeatable, reliable, and falsifiable way—that there is anything beyond the universe. Then we can talk about interacting with it.


If you´re willing ot walk the walk, you can see for yourself and that can be facilitated. If you just want to talk the talk, then continue with your beautifully constructed wall of words.

Join Project Transcendence.

Applied technology for the enhancement of human experience.

Caldari State
#10 - 2017-05-13 02:24:09 UTC  |  Edited by: The Nasty
Jason Galente wrote:


What I'm curious about is whether other places would've seemed relatively.. empty. Or cut off, perhaps, since so many systems temporarily connected to this one system.

I hadn't thought of that, though given the sheer number of connections it made, I'd be surprised if any C2's didn't connect to the wh surge. Could other classes connections have been affected by this?
#11 - 2017-05-13 02:27:27 UTC
The Nasty wrote:

I hadn't thought of that, though given the sheer number of connections it made, I'd be surprised if any C2's didn't connect to the wh surge. Could other classes connections have been effected by this?


What if one of those was a brief glimpse of an open door to Jove territory, of better yet.... beyond EVE Gate, and now it is gone as fast as it appeared?

What if.

Join Project Transcendence.

Applied technology for the enhancement of human experience.

#12 - 2017-05-13 08:34:31 UTC
The overall stability is degrading. I wonder how much longer the labyrinth can sustain itself.
#13 - 2017-05-13 12:48:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Teinyhr
Morgana Tsukiyo wrote:
If you´re willing ot walk the walk, you can see for yourself and that can be facilitated. If you just want to talk the talk, then continue with your beautifully constructed wall of words.


I've recently noted that you seem to be one of those people who use a lot of words to say nothing at all.

Morgana Tsukiyo wrote:
Im a finger pointing to the moon. As long as you are looking to the moon, you have no need to pay attention to the finger.


Case in point.



As for the topic itself, most of this ancient technology seems to be exceedingly self-sustaining, so if I were to hazard a guess that was as they say, "a glitch in the system" which was likely repaired as soon as diagnostics identified the source.
#14 - 2017-05-13 12:50:31 UTC
Teinyhr wrote:
Morgana Tsukiyo wrote:
If you´re willing ot walk the walk, you can see for yourself and that can be facilitated. If you just want to talk the talk, then continue with your beautifully constructed wall of words.


I've recently noted that you seem to be one of those people who use a lot of words to say nothing at all.


Im a finger pointing to the moon. As long as you are looking to the moon, you have no need to pay attention to the finger.

Join Project Transcendence.

Applied technology for the enhancement of human experience.

#15 - 2017-05-13 13:22:59 UTC
I blame this new entangled quantum mini Helium stuff. It confuses the brain, the ship scanners and maybe the universe as a whole. Don't swallow it.
Goonswarm Federation
#16 - 2017-05-13 13:38:41 UTC
Morgana Tsukiyo wrote:

What if one of those was a brief glimpse of an open door to Jove territory


You mean the Shattered Wormhole systems?

Cuz, that used to be Jovian space. It's been pretty solidly established that the stellography matches up exactly.
#17 - 2017-05-13 15:32:05 UTC
Arrendis wrote:
Morgana Tsukiyo wrote:

What if one of those was a brief glimpse of an open door to Jove territory


You mean the Shattered Wormhole systems?

Cuz, that used to be Jovian space. It's been pretty solidly established that the stellography matches up exactly.


Nope, i meant J7HZ-F region in K-Space.

Because why the hell not after such a freaky display of nature.




Join Project Transcendence.

Applied technology for the enhancement of human experience.

Goonswarm Federation
#18 - 2017-05-13 15:52:19 UTC
Morgana Tsukiyo wrote:

Nope, i meant J7HZ-F region in K-Space.


I get the feeling you don't actually get how many Shattered systems there are. It's not just one region of Jovian space. It's the whole thing.
#19 - 2017-05-13 16:01:32 UTC
Arrendis wrote:
Morgana Tsukiyo wrote:

Nope, i meant J7HZ-F region in K-Space.


I get the feeling you don't actually get how many Shattered systems there are. It's not just one region of Jovian space. It's the whole thing.


Have any documented travel logs by capsuleers shown that a wormhole connected to K-space Jove systems to date, such as 3-CE1R system?

Join Project Transcendence.

Applied technology for the enhancement of human experience.

Goonswarm Federation
#20 - 2017-05-13 16:18:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Arrendis
Morgana Tsukiyo wrote:

Have any documented travel logs by capsuleers shown that a wormhole connected to K-space Jove systems to date, such as 3-CE1R system?


How about wormholes that connect to W477-P? Would you accept thoae?

Because that's Thera. Thera used to be W477-P. The Jovian stargates are gone. All of them. The worlds in the systems they were in were torn apart by whatever happened. They are the Shattered wormholes. The closest thing we've seen to an intact Jovian stargate since has been the lightning-charged debris fields at the heart of Drifter Hives.
3 Pages123Next page
Forum Jump