EVE Forums

 
Capture Portrait
  • Date of Birth: 2010-06-14 17:02
  • First Forum Visit: 2011-04-07 16:10
  • Number of Posts: 3,188
  • Bounty: 0 ISK
  • Likes Received: 0

Rek Seven

Security Status 0.9
  • Art Of Explosions Member since
  • Hole Control Member since

Last 20 Posts

  • Every year, there are less users playing, why?? in EVE Communication Center

    And yet you argue with me without offering a counter point and instead resorting to name calling and pointless comments.

    I have said what i want to say. If you feel the need to continue this via email, feel free to do so. I'm happy to just go about my day.

  • Every year, there are less users playing, why?? in EVE Communication Center

    Read the original quote idiot. Swimming is the player action, the water is the content in this analogy.

    The act of playing the game is not game content, it is simply interacting with the game content within the designed limits. If you believe otherwise, then i would say you are wrong.

  • Every year, there are less users playing, why?? in EVE Communication Center

    You really don't get it though and are just picking spinets of what i said to support your argument.

    You have started a new argument here by saying it is ok to uses a general word to replace a specific one. That was what the fruit and water analogies were about.

    My main point is that playing a game is not game content. End of.

    Dirty Forum Alt wrote:

    Players swim in water, but do not add water! The only people who add water in EVE are the developers.


    Do you see how ridiculous that sounds? And why people take offence at it? [/quote]

    I did sound ridiculous because you misunderstood what i was saying... So i fixed it for you.

  • Every year, there are less users playing, why?? in EVE Communication Center

    Dirty Forum Alt wrote:

    If your point was that they were correct, but vague - and that they should use more precise wording...Then you should have said it. Not argued that their word was "wrong".



    They are correct in the same sense as saying the cup is full of atoms, instead of the cup is full of coffee. to me this is wrong.

    Rek Seven wrote:
    It's strange how eve player think they create content by simply playing the game. Maybe it's just a lack of vocabulary...

    Players create actions, activities or opportunities but not content. The only people who great content in EVE are the developers.

    For me it is important to make the distinction because I have just cancelled my subscription and was asked to give a reason why - I selected "lack of content". This is not me saying there are not enough players doing things in game, it is me saying "I am bored with what CCP has put in the game".

  • Every year, there are less users playing, why?? in EVE Communication Center

    Dirty Forum Alt wrote:

    Basically you heard somebody saying the swimming pool is full of liquid...and you've spent several pages arguing and trying to convince him that "NO no no no no it isn't full of liquid...its full of...um....that other thing....But DEFINITELY NOT LIQUID!!!"


    So if the pool is full of oil instead of water, you don't think that is an important distinction to make? Roll

    Your logic is flawed and you miss the point. If there is a specific word for a specific thing then there is no reason to use a general word for that thing and to argue other wise is idiotic. If i want ten oranges and 5 apples, I don't ask my greengrocer for 15 fruit... which is essentially what you are saying i should do.

    Dirty Forum Alt wrote:

    edit: Particularly when you can't even supply any better words to fill the same role...


    I provided several examples of better/specific terms: PVP, player conflict, a fight, a gank, war, hunting...

  • Every year, there are less users playing, why?? in EVE Communication Center

    Dirty Forum Alt wrote:
    and explained that your position is also ridiculous. *everything in the game - player made or CCP made - is content*.


    I'll stop you there. I have made it clear that i do not agree with this so it's pointless to continue. I can accept that players want to use a word incorrectly, i'm just pointing out that the word is being used incorrectly. So just accept that.

    It's like arguing that a swimming pool full of water is actually a swimming pool full of liquid. Technically both are right but the guy who said it is full of water is more right.Roll

  • Every year, there are less users playing, why?? in EVE Communication Center

    No really but whatever, let's move on.

  • Every year, there are less users playing, why?? in EVE Communication Center

    I don't require support to prove my point, the dictionary and the rest of the gaming community does that for me.

    The eve community overused the word to the point were it has become a slang term for PVP or a general aggressive action. We know what is meant when eve players use the word content but that doesn't mean they are correct.

    Anyway, we can argue this all day if you like but it's pointless and off topic... Sticking with my original point, i quit the game when i am bored of the content ccp provide not because of the activities the players enable me to participate in.

  • Every year, there are less users playing, why?? in EVE Communication Center

    baltec1 wrote:

    So far its only two of you not calling it content.


    So hop on the idiot train?

  • Every year, there are less users playing, why?? in EVE Communication Center

    baltec1 wrote:
    Lucy Lollipops wrote:
    Rek Seven wrote:
    Teckos Pech wrote:
    Rek Seven wrote:
    Then call it what it is instead of using the catch all word "content".


    What the **** do you call it then?

    If CCP gives you something to do in game....oooohhh it is content. Wow.

    A player gives you something to do in game and it is.....? Shall we call Beverly?

    Roll



    If that "something to do" is mining, call it mining, if it's shooting someone call it a fight or PVP, if CCP say "we are adding wormholes" call that a content expansion. Blink


    Exactly.

    It happens that in this game there are players ( usually gankers ) that seem to show off what they do claiming that what they do is special and that they "are creating content".

    No, they aren't and they are not special at all, they are playing the game exactly as everyone else.


    So we are going to ignore the fact that CCP also calls it player made content?


    Perpetuating a fallacy does not make it any less a fallacy Blink

    The main article was titled: EVE Online's Fountain War - Prelude to the biggest PVP battle in gaming's history. What eve players call "content" rest of the world calls a PVP battles or player conflict.

  • Every year, there are less users playing, why?? in EVE Communication Center

    Teckos Pech wrote:
    Rek Seven wrote:
    Then call it what it is instead of using the catch all word "content".


    What the **** do you call it then?

    If CCP gives you something to do in game....oooohhh it is content. Wow.

    A player gives you something to do in game and it is.....? Shall we call Beverly?

    Roll



    If that "something to do" is mining, call it mining, if it's shooting someone call it a fight or PVP, if CCP say "we are adding wormholes" call that a content expansion. Blink

  • Every year, there are less users playing, why?? in EVE Communication Center

    Teckos Pech wrote:

    Okay, how come only CCP can provide content? What is to stop players from providing content--i.e. things to do in game?


    1. because only CCP have the ability to fundamentally change the mechanics of the game or add in a new features/content

    2. Nothing is stopping players from providing in-game activities and experiencing and interacting with the content provided by ccp.

  • Every year, there are less users playing, why?? in EVE Communication Center

    Teckos Pech wrote:


    Yes, I already noted that. You are not quite keeping up are you. See that sentence where I wrote, "CCP provided the environment and rules..."?

    My doing something in game that allows other players to do something in game...presumably we both find those thing enjoyable...that's content. Doesn't matter if I provide it or CCP. In fact, with CCP not providing it and leaving it up to players it creates all sorts of opportunities for additional player interaction...like CODE. trying to gank my JF or some such.


    Then call it what it is instead of using the catch all word "content".

  • Every year, there are less users playing, why?? in EVE Communication Center

    Teckos Pech wrote:
    Rek Seven wrote:
    Teckos Pech wrote:

    1. In chess you know everything about your opponent and he knows everything about you. In Eve that is probably not true.
    2. In chess there are predefined movements and you each tack turns. In Eve there are no predefined movements and you can and often do act simultaneously.
    3. There is not much room for innovation in chess. In Eve if you do something nobody has thought of before you can gain an advantage.


    It is all relative. EVE is chess only on a bigger board, with more pieces, more moves and more players. We rely on the developers to expand our game of chess through the introduction of new content. Still, there is a finite number of moves we can make.


    Load of utter bullcrap.

    Can chess pieces disappear? Can the rook light a cyno and call in 50 friends? Can one of your own pieces turn on you and take your king? No!?!?!

    My goodness.


    Again you miss the point... but to answer your question, Yes - in a world where chess has been expanded to the point where it has become eve online, all those things can happen.

  • Every year, there are less users playing, why?? in EVE Communication Center

    Teckos Pech wrote:
    Rek Seven wrote:


    It is stupid to describe what CCP add and what players add as both being content. It is just your oversimplification of the word due to a limited vocabulary. By your definition even chatting to someone in local is content... which is really dumb.


    First off no it is not stupid. If I make a batch of T2 guns and players buy them and go have fun with them, I am helping them have fun....I am providing something not CCP. CCP provided the environment and the rules by which I could provide other players T2 guns, but CCP did not.

    Your problem is you just don't understand what spontaneous order is. That is what this game is about. Let people into the game universe with some simple rules/mechanics and see what they do.

    Coalitions, BTW are an example of spontaneous order. Rental empires in NS, more spontaneous order. Players getting together and coming up with things that do not have a mechanic in game that would ensure their existence.



    It is not me who lacks understanding here. I understand your point perfectly - i simply disagree we should use the word content to describe player actions instead of being specific.

    Without CCP you would have no T2 guns to provide. Yes the act of you manufacturing them and the trading them to another player is a fun activity but it is only possible because the game has been designed to allow you to do that.

  • Every year, there are less users playing, why?? in EVE Communication Center

    Teckos Pech wrote:

    1. In chess you know everything about your opponent and he knows everything about you. In Eve that is probably not true.
    2. In chess there are predefined movements and you each tack turns. In Eve there are no predefined movements and you can and often do act simultaneously.
    3. There is not much room for innovation in chess. In Eve if you do something nobody has thought of before you can gain an advantage.


    It is all relative. EVE is chess only on a bigger board, with more pieces, more moves and more players. We rely on the developers to expand our game of chess through the introduction of new content. Still, there is a finite number of moves we can make.

  • Every year, there are less users playing, why?? in EVE Communication Center

    Teckos Pech wrote:

    Non of that is in-game content


    Sure was content for me....in game. I was at several Burn Jita events. I fought in the war that brought down the Imperium. So yeah, it sure was content for me.[/quote]

    No it was an entertaining activity for you.

    Keep calling it content all you like but it is not that.

  • Every year, there are less users playing, why?? in EVE Communication Center

    baltec1 wrote:
    Rek Seven wrote:

    It is stupid to describe what CCP add and what players add as both being content. It is just your oversimplification of the word due to a limited vocabulary. By your definition even chatting to someone in local is content... which is really dumb.

    So sorry the burst your bubble but you are nothing but a player




    CCP didn't bring the interdictions, players did. CCP didn't organise and run burn jita events, players did. CCP didnt turn around and say ok we are now going to run the fall of the Imperium, players did that.


    Non of that is in-game content - it's player activity/event.

    Content is physical (in a digital world scene), it is something that exists irrespective of what a person does with it.

  • Every year, there are less users playing, why?? in EVE Communication Center

    Teckos Pech wrote:
    Rek Seven wrote:


    Not really, it's just being specific and sticking with what the gaming industry has considered game content to be for several years now.


    Sure. We can break it down, IMO, as content provided by CCP--e.g. missions.

    Then there is content the players provide such as a fight between two or more players. What players do provide different levels of content for others.

    Quote:
    DLC (downloadable content) and content expansions are stuff the developers add to the game. Players simply use/interact with that content, they are not content creators. The closest thing to content creation in Eve is the development of third party apps.


    By this narrow definition the bulk of the Eve patches have very little content. CCP has not seeded a single citadel for example. When a "new ship is added to the game" it is not added by CCP, not literally. The blueprint is, or a process to get a blueprint copy, but it takes a player to actually introduce these new ships.

    So yes, you have a limited view of "content". If you are looking for "content" from CCP yes you'll be disappointed and leave. But then again this was never the game for you.


    You miss the point. There is already a word for players fighting each other... it is called "fighting" so why do eve players feel the need to call it creating content. All they are doing is playing the game using the in-game content provided by CCP. Is a chess player creating content simply be moving the pieces around the board?!

    I agree that ccp have created very little content over the last few expansions. The last set of expansions can be described as polish/improvement of existing content and features. By simply adding citadels and ships to the game, CCP add the content.

    It is stupid to describe what CCP add and what players add as both being content. It is just your oversimplification of the word due to a limited vocabulary. By your definition even chatting to someone in local is content... which is really dumb.

  • Every year, there are less users playing, why?? in EVE Communication Center

    KaarBaak wrote:
    Rek Seven wrote:
    It's strange how eve player think they create content by simply playing the game. Maybe it's just a lack of vocabulary...

    Players creat actions, activities or opportunities but not content. The only people who greate content in EVE are the developers.

    For me it is important to make the distinction because I have just cancelled my subscription and was asked to give a reason why - I selected "lack of content". This is not me saying there are not enough players doing things in game, it is me saying "I am bored with what CCP has put in the game".


    That's a very narrow definition of "content" that you follow.

    In my mind, that's like discontinuing your subscription to a newspaper because the news isn't interesting.

    KB


    Not really, it's just being specific and sticking with what the gaming industry has considered game content to be for several years now.

    DLC (downloadable content) and content expansions are stuff the developers add to the game. Players simply use/interact with that content, they are not content creators. The closest thing to content creation in Eve is the development of third party apps.

    And as for you newspaper analogy, I dissagree. A more appt one would be discontinuing your subscription because the writer are unimaginative and keep writing basically the same things, while other papers try new more interesting things.

Forum Signature