Can we have a PVP toggle?

(Xuxe Xu) #188

You fools! You don’t seriously expect to contest with the will of Elena? There are none who can.
Elena knows it all when it comes to anything EvE!

@Elena_Laskova - You said before that your previous EvE playing time had consisted of five or six of the two-week free trials over the past 10 years. Hopefully you have been able to enjoy EvE longer now that there are no more free trials and one can just play free for an unlimited time.
You also said before that you had never purchased anything more expensive than a Gnosis. I hope you have prospered in the game to where maybe that has changed as well.

p.s. - I’m still sad you chose not to stand for CSM. I so firmly believe your ideas deserve wider exposure. Oh well, I’m sure you know best. Perhaps next one?

(Salt Foambreaker) #189

Because of this thread I am making a personal goal of ganking 10 players in high sec this weekend.

There are too many care bears and it is time to force some to leave.

2 Likes
(Salt Foambreaker) #190

What makes this so just plain bizarre is that sandbox games defined PvP going all the way back to preRen UO in the late 90s. (Before most of you were born)

Games like WoW tried but failed to follow the model and instead game up with “instanced kiddie pools” which barely even qualify as PvP.

(Foggy Bernstein) #191

Yet you are hanging out in high sec to do that? The majority of carebears never even enter high sec.

If you want to harass carebears, go to where you might do some good. Sov null.

(Omar Alharazaad) #192

Yesh. Right past the legions of non carebears in place to protect their livestock.

(Omar Alharazaad) #193

Ah crap. I was gonna kill a bear and leave the killmail here. Instead it seems I might have converted him to PVP instead.

1 Like
(Anderson Geten) #194

Nobody is forcing anyone to do anything. People are just as much entitled to give their opinion in a constructive way as you are.

Are you saying other people are not operating within the boundaries of what Eve is ?
You are calling people disagreeing with you cheaters.

the simple fact that they remain in the game means nobody here is doing this. Your insults are vain and pitiful.

(Solstice Projekt) #195

:smiley:

1 Like
(Solstice Projekt) #196

How old is his char?

(Litsea Reticulata) #197

Exponential security status loss for high security crimes, rather than the glacial reduction presently implemented. Criminals shouldn’t be able to chain ganks together for hours at a time with calculated impunity. Make their security status drop faster and it will be easier to engage them outside of the asymmetric terms of the gank.

1 Like
(Litsea Reticulata) #198

Doesn’t look like people in Delve are having to compete much.

1 Like
(Dark Lord Trump) #199

Oh, so that’s why all the -10.0 gankers have a hard time ganking… not

(Elena Laskova) #200

I don’t agree with this, but it’s an interesting perspective. I think your implied definition of “fair” is faulty. It’s a slippery slope too: expanding it would change the topic, but you’d be going up against a different part of the “bittervet narrative”, and it would be entertaining :slight_smile:

IRL, “competition” doesn’t imply everyone can compete against everyone else at every activity. I’m no more interested in changing the definition of competition than I am in changing the (real world) definition of “PvP”.

(Nicolai Serkanner) #201

No, it will not. Time and time it has been proved the high sec carebears begot nerfs they couldn’t handle.

1 Like
(Elena Laskova) #202

I’ve never been there, but CCP’s statistics and forum anecdotes support your comment. I suspect it’s a (very) bad thing for EVE.

There’s a (much simpler) multi-player area control game that works according to the principle that sooner or later, one “side” will control something over 51% of the territory, at which point that particular game is abandoned. The fun is in getting the controlling alliance together, and trying to break up alliances that get too large.

The consequences of it happening in EVE would probably be as large as actually implementing a “PvP Off” toggle that could be used at any time (including mid-fight). IMO CCP should be working hard on making very large (and/or very efficient) Corps/Alliances easier to break up.

(Omar Alharazaad) #203

About five years old.
He aggressed with his Paladin on my Cruor, and in a fit of wisdom immediately microjumped away and warped off. We got to talking in local and luckily there were a few other pvp players in system who were doing pve stuff for isk and whatnot. Turned into an actually decent convo. We urged him to check out groups like Spectre fleet and Bombers Bar, and firstly to ship down to something cheap and go get himself into some low sec fights as well.

Once he realized we weren’t messing with him and were trying to give him some good advice he warmed up to the idea and started asking some good questions. I hope he follows through and at least tries it out because he was starting to feel really burned out with mission running.

Honestly, if he does and finds his path to joy through pew I’ll take it as a bigger win than a killmail.

2 Likes
(Anderson Geten) #204

That’s not what fairness is.

The PVP in eve does not require you to be fit PVP. So it is not fair (people in gank fit can shoot people in PVE/freight fit). Hence they are not competing.
A sandbox by definition allows you to choose your path, your goal, and that is the opposite of what a competition is : you are given goals in a competition.
You can make competitions in Eve but that does not mean Eve is a competitive game.

3 Likes
(Jonah Gravenstein) #205

While we’re on the subject of the definition of PvP, Elena apparently can’t read much beyond a few sentences. The “real world” definition from wikipedia that she keeps touting happens to include the words “PvP can be broadly used to describe any game, or aspect of a game, where players compete against each other”.

4 Likes
(Elena Laskova) #206

Jonah
You’re cherry-picking. Read the article.

(Jonah Gravenstein) #207

Speaking of cherry picking…

I read the article, apparently you didn’t. If you had, you would realise that when we label trading etc as PvP we are doing so in one of the ways described in the very article you love to push so much; to describe aspects of a game where players compete against each other.

2 Likes