Is Eve Dying/Dead?

It took 20 years, to build a pyramid, so maybe SC needs another 10 years ?

30-40 years at this rate. This is what happens when you put a perfectionist (scam artist? can’t tell at this point) in charge. Back in 2016 people loved to say it took 6-10 years for some big games to get made in the past, but 10 years have gone by and we barely have a playable demo lol.

1 Like

What is “SC” in this context, please? I don’t understand

Normally, I would think South Carolina…

Scam Star Citizen.

5 Likes

The industry and mining changes have made the game unplayable.

You know that phrase don’t fly what you can’t afford to lose. Well ships are unaffordable and it takes too much effort to build them now so no one wants to risk anything. So much effort that most ship builders just stopped building them. Minerals, and pi need a huge rebalancing again…

6 Likes

eve is alive and kicking
it just midlife crisis
living in a chevy Camaro on a trailer park , pretending to be a mobile ftp game
one day a real woman will solve the problem and all will be back to normal …

3 Likes

The real reason is CCP don’t communicate directly to thier clients. There is no clear reason why they are doing what they are doing. Players will understand if they just show their clear roadmap.

NetEase are better than CCP. Because they answer directly thier clients questions and suggestions.

EvE is dead AF. Highsec is nothing but structure bashing multiboxers. Theres no point in having unique ships or using them to fight other people. Why play?

2 Likes

If ad when the last server goes silent, there will be a ship of my Order in space searching for a place to “stand”.

1 Like

And why haunt the forum of a dead game?

That’s just weird.

Mr Epeen :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Scarcity is working exactly as intended, crybabies who want easy free isk are leaving the game, and they will eventually be replaced by better quality players who don’t want to play Minecraft on creative mode.

7 Likes

The Minmatar Events are rad. Everyone should find some friends and go to lowsec/NPC null to fight over/reap the rewards.

I’m having a blast so far. And making the money! It’s a nice mix of PvE and PvP. Ideal.

3 Likes

I’m done, after ten year i’m finally walking out the door. In answer to the OP the game is on very thin ice imo.

I guess if the aim is to deter/end plexed multiboxing then scarcity is a good strategy - Let’s hope that’s responsible for the current flat spot (given that the NH summer is also always a low point) rather than genuine unsubbing in large numbers. Doesn’t matter what your poison is in the Eve sandbox, the more people plying, the more content for all gamestyles.

1 Like

The quantity of EVE players is irrelevant.

Quality is the important thing.

6 Likes

EVE Online is still one of the best, what I call “space games” out there

3 Likes

The reason is, Ore Packs for a dollar, coming to save the day to a launchpad near you in a few months.

2 Likes

By “quality”, she actually means quality cash-cows.

1 Like

Wishful thinking, better quality players would be the like seen in 2007-2011.

The likes of which have all grown old now / out of it, or most of whom already left in bittervet disgust.

Talk about shitting in your own bedsheets…

Do you expect 2021 kiddies to provide the quality you’re looking for ?

What probability do you base that assumption on, let alone, base CCP / PA’s entire future target playerbase model ?

Had a glimpse at their own marketing predictions somehow ?

6 Likes

I think honestly the game is dying. I played from 2003 - 2011 with primarily an industry focus. I have tried to come back a few times since then, but time constraints always prevented me from staying more than a few months. I have been trying to give it another go these last 60 or so days, but there are just so many changes and decisions made that I just don’t like. For example, I truly do not understand what they were thinking with industry…

I think much of the state of this game is a reflection of the change in the MMO genre and player bases as a whole. If you think about it, a generation in social science terms is generally considered to be 20 years. This game is going on 18 years now and the vast majority of us that started in 2003 / 2004 were part of the initial wave of MMO players from the 90’s and early 2000’s when this genre was just becoming mainstream. Todays MMO player has a very vast array of options that we didn’t have and as a result, they have a very different set of expectations from their games.

Todays MMO player expects to be able to do most content solo. This change is seen in MMOs across the board and is not just in EVE Online. This is the very opposite direction CCP had gone for years. I see them making efforts to make it more easy to live solo, but it is mostly too little too late.

Todays MMO player expects to be able to “accomplish” something meaningful every time they log on, usually with an hour or two of gameplay. This is mostly the opposite direction CCP had taken EVE for a LONG time. I would also argue that, with todays login numbers this ship will have sailed if we do not get some meaningful changes soon.

In my case, I can only really play for 30-60 minutes every few days. But if it takes 30-45 minutes just to get enough people together to actually do anything, how much am I really getting to play? Before you say that is a small amount of time consider this. The average gamer today plays a little over 6 hours a week. We know this because Microsoft(Xbox), Playstation(PS), and Steam(PC) have all collected these metrics and it is fairly consistent across platforms and across games. Also consider that that number has also dropped every year before the pandemic for nearly a decade and also coincides with the generational shift as well. You can see this for yourself with CCP’s own metrics by developing a trend line since Incursion/Incarna (which is when I quit primarily). It is not a coincidence that that line has a negative slope and starts from when it does…

I think ultimately CCP understands this and this is why we see some of the changes such as the stores, accelerated training times, the ability to just buy skill points and essentially isk. They are doing something called whaling which is more and more a feature of new MMOs. So is it dying? Absolutely, but it is going to be like dying from a slow moving cancer.

7 Likes