[IDEA] Name Change Certificate

@Esnaelc_Sin_led No, no you have not. All you did was declare the points you didn’t like as irrelevant and move on- That is not the same thing as presenting an argument against them.

At least @Petrified supported his assertions with actual words instead of just throwing noise at the people he doesn’t agree with- He’s done more in a single post to make me rethink this issue than you have in ten.

2 Likes

Isn’t my proposed feature about a new TAB in Character Show Info window named as [Name History] (just like Corp History) responding to this issue ?

It’s not that we don’t understand what you’re saying, we just disagree with what you said.

But nice try

1 Like

Well then sorry.
Those 3 arguments are arguments to me.
If they’re not pleasant for your eyes, thanks for your participation in this thread, and see you. o/

My apologies, my reply is to the overall topic, not you specifically.

No worries.

Can you elaborate a bit more ?

What do you mean by “continuity of the character” ?
And “base identity outside of any alias” ?

Sure. Your identity is made up of a lot of factors. You have a name, an appearance, a documented record of your existemce and work history, and you have a personality.
The continuity of each character is their identity from creation to biomass.

During a characters existence they work for one corporation or another and they behave in certain ways effecting security status and their perceived status with other characters via the most obvious: kill boards. But the character also has nick names in game, Petri or Pet being one of the ones I get a lot. An Alias or AKA would be more official, something added to the documentation and history of that character.

Having gone through a couple of name changes in real life, I know that the paper trail exists and for the diligent they can sort it out to find my original name. In EVE it would be as simple a matter as looking at the corp history. Like you said it would have it’s own tab.

So how would someone change their name in game? When we look at the characters’ name we are really looking at the name on the pilot license. It is that name and identity being broadcast from your pod to the gates and to all pilots in the EVE universe. To change your name in game you would need CONCORD to alter your name on your pilot license, which would leave an official record of the change as well. CONCORD might also ensure that only pilots with positive standings are allowed to change their names.

5 Likes

Eve does not need yet another layer of obfuscation. Many people come to recognize players by name in local or in chat. There are situations where timing is paramount and adding “checking for name history” or such will get you killed on that gate, ganked or worse.

A new character is just that. New. It tells me that I know nothing about it.

I see no compelling argument to allow character name changes.

@Petrified
Thanks ! :slight_smile:

I agree.

As you said, the name of a character and its identity on the pilot license is what is being broadcasted to all other pilots in the Eve Universe.
This is how we recognise at a glance who’s entering a local.

Made me think about the only point i understand from people against the idea : the impossibility for someone to recognise who is that guy entering local that i never ever saw the name of.
And if ever the possibility to change name is allowed in game, this “concern” will be true for each and every new character entering a local : “Did he change his name ? Let’s check his Name History”.

But that’s where standing mecanics enter.
If they exist, people should use them properly :
Creating tags to sort contacts (HS Ganker, Cyno-Alt, Cap-Pilot, and whatsnot).
Writing notes on Character Info Window.
Setting apropriate colours.

That’s where all my other featured ideas coming along the Name Change idea enter as well.
Notifications upon a contact name change, limitations in time, no standing reset, etc…
Features that Tau_Oneka and Dorvius haven’t read at all, i’m sure about it, hence my reactions to them.
And features that @Wanda_Fayne must have not read either.

Like what most people do in social media : they read the title, and react to the title without reading any content at all.

2 Likes

I read it, I just don’t agree with it.

Hmmm…
Imagine the ability to change your ship-type name on D-scan and overview. But we will add a ‘tab’ called ‘ship-type-name-history’ to accomodate those that want to see the real ship-type. Also you can zoom in and look at the ship manually (provided it is on grid) and see what it actually is. This is about what you are proposing for “features”.

Still no.

Imagine a feature that would allow you to mark the ship with a colour, and a tag, that would appear whatever the changes the guy does to his ship on your DScan.

It’s not my feature, it’s one that exists already in the game : it’s called Standings.

Still not relevant.

But standings still would not tell you what the real ship type was at a glance or why they were that tag. Not to mention that there is a limited number of standing slots so you can’t do every individual you know.
Your name change proposal is exactly the same and poor for the same reason.
It is important to be able to identify people quickly and in EVE for players the name is the primary identifier we have to use. For this reason it shouldn’t be allowed to be changed, and none of your points negate this issue.

Personally, now we have SP injectors I’d go one step further and remove the character Bazaar so you know that once you know a player of a character you always do. And if you want to rip out all the SP and ruin said character to transfer to another ‘new’ character, well, go for it. But we still know that character and the massive cost involved in moving your identity causes consequences itself.

If i’m flying a ship from a specific class, with a specific fit, i’m supposed to know what i can take, and what i should avoid fighting against, right ?
I just need to tag the ships that i can’t fly against, and voila !

Just like standings for character.
Do i really need to know if the guy i tagged red or orange is a smartbomber or a cyno alt, or whatever ?
For my first reaction, i think not : red/orange guy appearing in local means “danger” / “be carefull”.
For further study, yes : that’s where tags, and notes are entering in action.

Let me know if any player in Eve Online that even plays since the beginning has reached the limit you’re talking about. Please, let’s try to be serious here. I’m willing to discuss and argue with people, but with honest arguments, not poor ones.

I personally think that in Eve Online the first thing that h elps identify quickly a danger are precisely Standings, then, in a second time, are names.

And to finish, i am well ISK-ed IG right now, and i could afford a whole rip out of my SP and inject them into a fresh new character, even if i need to buy more Skill Injectors.
But 2 points are coming to me when i think about it that makes me not do it :

• I’m willing to pay even more than 3b or 5b to change my name, not 100b + all the maths and clicks i’ll need to.
  • I intend to keep my character background and history, not erase it. I want people to know my previous name, where i come from, the mistakes i made, the good things i did, the dramas i’ve created, etc…, etc…
3 Likes

I hit the limit. It happens more than you think

Well then i don’t know how you manage your contacts, but 1024 being the limitation.
2024 if we take corp contacts in calculations… that seems a rather enormous number to me.

1 Like

To answer.
Yes you do need to know that.
The fact you think you don’t need to know who the person is and exactly what risk that person actually entails indicates where your knowledge of EVE actually is.
And yes a great many people have reached the contacts limit. For a start go and look at the Provi block red list.
And ‘keeping’ the background only applies in situations where people have time to go back through your history. Not in the rest of the time.

TLDR. You don’t know EVE, deal with your name choice.

1 Like

No you don’t.
Not for the first reaction, in a sec, right now, you don’t.
That’s not not knowing how Eve works, that’s just how human brain works and its capacity.

In a local of 30 players, what makes your brain tilt are the standings first, then you sort the standing visually, and recognise the names, then from the name you can assume which corp, which capacity, which ships, etc…
There are even players, when solo PvPing that are checking Zkillboards character history to check things out.
So, checking a tab on a show info of a character shouldn’t be too hard…

Provi block is a specific case.
But whatever, let’s assume you are right and that most of Eve Players have reached the limit.

How the hell then do they recognise a guy at a glance in a local of 30 people or more ?
Oh, yes, of course, … by names.
:smile:

TLDR : Ok.

3 Likes

@Chribba, @Elizabeth_Norn, @grendel (guess he’s not on the new forums yet?) and several others would seriously like to have a word with you about a “name itself being worthless.” To those three in particular, their name IS THEIR VALUE precisely because of the reputation they’ve garnered in the game. Hell, even that space pope guy. No, I dont know him (or his name at the moment), but obviously I know OF him.

■■■■, I’d say chribba is by far the most known player in all of eve merely because of his reputation as The Broker. But… if someone else could suddenly have the name chribba for some reason or another, you immediately trash any ability for a reputation to be built for the good of that name as well as open up the very unreasonable potential for someone to take a well-known name, say, james315, and go on a xenophobic rant and worsen the reputation of that name.

1 Like

Lets ensure full context here: the name has value only because of who the player is. The characters they operate have gained fame or infamy only because of the person - not the name. The name having any value at all is because of the person behind that name. Chribba and Elizabeth_Norn are not likely to ever change their names. For that matter, neither am I. Now imagine Chribba sells his character to someone who is not trustworthy? The name only has value because of the person behind that name.

Others however are likely to. But that is not so much a reflection of the name as the character behind the name.

Hence why the name is worthless: you need the person behind the name to give it value.

And full disclosure: I am not really interested in seeing name changing added. The over all idea is academic to me. There is no need to allow people to change their names in an age when you can simply create a new character, inject skills, and then do whatever it was you wanted to not have associated with your main character.

edit to add: And last I checked impersonating other players is a No No.

3 Likes

Point, because technically, name changing is already in the game. Make a new character, extract all the worthwhile skills of your old character, either biomass or sell it off to someone, inject your new character and then have fun.

But yea, frankly any name in use now, if it’s current owner wanted to change their name, the old name would have to be irrevocably dead to anyone but the last person to have used it (short of biomassing a character, which does free up the name I think? [ @CCP_Falcon, because you were the first on the list, might be able to confirm]). All due to the impersonation clause.

1 Like