[IDEA] Name Change Certificate

This argument is not viable anymore as everyone can revamp his skills as they see fit.

One principle in a game can’t be for a single subject, it must be for all, if it wants to stay coherent.

Your history in game is not tied to your skills… it is however tied to your name

So what is your point actually ?
You talk about a principle, to which I replied, and now you talk about history ?
What the ■■■■ does history has anything to do with the ‘choices mater principle’ ?
And even more so with the proposed conditions prior to Name Change Certificate on the table ?

… I talked about consiquences to your actions you know those things you did in the past

Ok, i got it, so what’s the point given all the conditions prior to the implementation of a Name Change Certificate ?
I ask again ?

Or you did not read at all, and just saw the title, and made your comment ?

For a two month character just reroll. This is needed for the older chars most of all.

4 Likes

No i did. The name predominantly displayed should be all the further I have to go to know if you are who you are.

And that’s ignoring that the idea limits the name pool further for people wanting to create characters. I mean ccp already had to do a purge of abandoned toons to open up names again

I laughed.
Thanks.

I won’t argue again the same points i’ve pushed to counter the “name = who you are”, with skill injectors anyone can be anything anytime it doesn’t even make sense.
The one keeping their name are the one that WANTS to be recognised as their name.
If a ganker, spy, traitor, wants to be unknown, he can even easier now than before ever.

Anyway, with Blackout now it’s going to be less and less primordial “name = standing”.

I would prefer to recognize someone by their name when i see them in space, rather than having to click ‘Show Info’ and tab across to some kind on ‘AKA’ tab, to see if i recognize that player.
That is slow and awkward, and results in more clicks and server database requests.

In a game where you have to act quickly in situations, being able to hide your reputation from people behind clicks and information tabs is an advantage people should not have.

2 Likes

And once again, standings are there for this…

Sigh…
People just don’t read threads actually.

No, ■■■■ off.

Standings are very limited. They do not tell you who you are seeing, and therefore what that person’s characteristics are.

Standings really don’t tell you much. If i recognize your name, I can recall my past experiences with you. What you like to fit, how you fight, whether you are likely to do specific actions… cant get that from standings. Its all from your name and reputation.

Sigh…
People don’t think things through.

2 Likes

And i’ve already replied to the replied of standings.

Human brains react to colour, quicker than letter associations.
But whatever.

1 Like

EVE is not a twitch game, we aren’t discussing twitch reactions here. We are discussing the ability to make tactical and even strategic choices.

i mean…to be fair, i only want a name change because i cant even pronounce the name i gave this character in September of 2013. Id just like to give him a more legible name, i have no tactical gains to make, my killboard is a snooze fest (And laughable at that) and while i have a long existence in game my actual game time is far lower (although i keep trying to find a corp/activity i enjoy to keep me around).

Its not always tactical, its more for me, id like to pronounce my name lmao

2 Likes

Since it utimately boils down to ID’s

90,000,000	98,000,000	EVE characters created after 2010-11-03
98,000,000	99,000,000	Corporations created after 2010-11-03
99,000,000	100,000,000	EVE alliances created after 2010-11-03
100,000,000	2,100,000,000	EVE characters, corporations and/or alliances created before 2010-11-03
2,100,000,000	2,147,483,647	DUST characters, EVE characters created after 2016-05-30

It really wouldn’t be hard to add a note in their History that simply states something like ‘Changed name from X to Y’, and just update the name on the ID. Gives it a place to put it, that is part of the API.

I fully agree with it requiring a significant character investment to use, such as ‘minimum character age one year’, and have a similar cooldown. I do not agree with minimum skill points, just age.

As for cost, I do NOT agree this should be Isk purchasable, unless the Isk is used to purchase PLEX. It should be a store-only item with a non-trivial cost, and be one of the more expensive items in the store interface, on par with SKIN bundles, and significantly more than a month sub.

We’ve crossed a lot of other lines already, and this is one that is, at it’s core, just a text string change that won’t affect game play. No good reason it couldn’t be included, provided it’s in the character’s history.

4 Likes

4 posts up, game play this impacts mentioned…
It clearly is a gameplay issue.

It clearly is not.

There, my argument is as strong as yours : it simply is not.
yay \o/

Now, to be serious, you just need to use standings, if you don’t, you’re not using all Eve’s tool.
Then, if your standing cap is reached, use Notes.
Finally, if you think that you should not use all the tools that Eve is giving to you, and that you should be able to recognise a character at a glance by watching local (or grid, whatever), ‘strategicly and / or tactically’ the fact that one player changed his name is no different than using another toon in order not to be recogniseable : is that forbidden ? It is not.
Plus, in that same parralelism, if your intel / spies is(are) not good enough that you know that Y is actually X, you’re still not playing Eve as you should be playing it.
Plus #2, if all of those arguments are still not enough for you to make you understand that that gameplay part of characters name is BS, concider an ennemy changing his name. Well, yes, you might get surprised once if none of the stated prerequisites were not enough for you to get the intel, but then ?

Eve is hard i swear. #sigh#

Notes are attached to a Player ID

Standings are attached to a Player ID

Changing the textual representation of a Player ID will not affect notes or standings.

Add a waiting period of 1 year to prevent abuse.

Make it cost the same as a month of Omega to make it a revenue stream.

I’m all for it.

4 Likes