Utari's Puppies (Formerly Off-Topic Thread)

:thinking:

Pumpkins win!

1 Like

Ow. Just ow.

2 Likes

Also pumpkins can be WAY bigger than cucumbers.
One more win point!

1 Like

Girth is important when it comes to gourds, and I think all of us respect your preferences in that regard.

2 Likes

Actually, sir, would you maybe be willing to give us a little bit of that history?

I’m fuzzy on his background, though I know it’s a long one, and I understand I have some kind of history with him myself. But, he shows no interest in even talking to me, so. . . .

3 Likes

I officially confess in liking John’s post and now expect to be reprimanded for misdemeanor.

1 Like

If we’re thinking of the same guy, that’s an unhappy story with an unhappy end.

Unless we aren’t, in which case there are entirely too many prophets on these boards.

Delusions of grandeur are an unfortunately common Capsuleer ailment.

For that matter, I’m sure ‘being a Capsuleer’ is diagnostic for that.

1 Like

I don’t really understand enough of this to make sense of it.

1 Like

I think she likes you and respects you.
The last line probably is a high five.

2 Likes

Or “the 5 exotic dancers are on route to you”

3 Likes

Che always had all the luck.

3 Likes

Could it be 5 black candles going to him?
Highly Overpriced though.

I would actually contest this point. Under normal circumstances, one would never refer to a good ruler as cruel and oppressive, but under extreme circumstances, the cruelty and oppressive nature of a ruler can possibly lead to a better outcome than the alternatives available, and can even lead to the aversion of apocalyptic scenarios for a people. Such as existential warfare. It depends on the ruler, of course, and the pros and cons of their regime, but it’s not axiomatically impossible. The axiomatic truth is that cruelty and oppression are not good things, but people themselves, and particularly, leaders, are complicated and cannot be accurately evaluated by “Was he/she a cruel tyrant? If yes = bad”. It is rare in the normal course of governance that these very complicated leaders sprout up, but in the situations that are likely to attract the rise of a tyrant, things are usually already pretty bad and may end up benefiting from a firm hand. I would again stress that this is highly context dependent on the sum of the ruler’s effects on a country, and that most geopolitical situations do not call for this type of government.

4 Likes

It is also true that cruelty and tyranny are rather subjective sentiments. Cruelty tends to be those punishments we personally feel are unjust, tyranny those systems of laws which do not favor us. It is difficult to see the world in such terms, and to understand how we come to rely on those terms to justify our own cruelty and tyranny. Everyone is a villain to someone, the question is really how comfortable we are with those judgments.

2 Likes

Something being necessary does not make it ‘good’.

1 Like

Something is good if it is the best practicable option available. The reverse sounds like the unrealistic pretentious whinings of a child.

And like I said, if the actions of a tyrant saved an entire race of people from extinction, you’d have a hard time convincing any of them or their descendants that the man was a cruel tyrant and thus axiomatically bad. Methods matter, consequences matter more.

If we want to go further into this topic, I can provide a sterling example of a cruel tyrant who was ultimately good for his country. One I think you will agree with, actually.

1 Like

No, ‘least bad’ isn’t good. It’s just ‘least bad’. Sometimes, there are no ‘good’ options. You just have to suck it up and deal.

But go for it, give me your sterling example.

2 Likes

Good doesn’t mean perfect, or even ideal.

1 Like