Utari's Puppies (Formerly Off-Topic Thread)

No, you’re not. You don’t get to choose where you’re attacked. You don’t get to say ‘my society will only live on firm, defensible positions’ because populations grow, expand, and overflow those kinds of arbitrary things.

This is bad design. You’re putting multiple essential systems in the same vulnerable location, rather than moving the one that can be moved (the power source) to a more armored location.

Also bad design. You need a lot of redundancy in a system intended to be shot at. You can’t guarantee how long it’ll need to be operating, or whether those battery stacks will get damaged.

They can’t. How long do you think you’ve got in a hardsuit in vacuum? It’s measured in hours, and ongoing combat operations can be measured in weeks.

You know all that accuracy you’re touting? They have that, too. And laser weapons (among others) don’t have a lot of difficulty being pin-point accurate.

1 Like

Except when you know what will be attacked.

Its actually armored so its good design.

There is redundancy in that you have not a one heavily armored spot, but a spread system that is armored where it needs to be. Majorly this thing is used in correct situation, where it would be hit only by anti infantry weapons and flak, and its armor is good against those two things.

But combat in such environments that require life support doesn last as long. Everything is a lot faster. Or is majorly taking place in actually habitable environment.

1 Like

why did you make an image with a naked person holding a gun ?

is that some twisted sabik metaphor ?

2 Likes

:laughing:

I tell you what. I’m’a let you keep arguing with Valerie, cuz for once, she’s on an even footing.

1 Like

Well I was talking not about fleet warfare that is navy domain, but fighting inside structures and on planet.

I think its place is when it serves now, in militia for example, as infantry support.

2 Likes

I use a Forge Gun as an anti-infantry weapon and I think that an MTAC would be turned into scrap metal after a couple of direct hits from a Forge Gun.

1 Like

You would be primary target for everyone anyway, same as MTAC, so in a battle scenario you would suffer from having less armor than MTAC. Also knowing that this thing have sensors that make it a very good spotter and sniper in one, I would be very cautious when coming in the range of its railgun.

1 Like

What’s the script with those gallente boys and their transparent plastic t-shirts ?

I mean, you go shopping and they’re all saying things at you like “hey baby, you got boyfriend Luminaire?” In oddly accented Amarrian.

What’s that all about then ?

1 Like

I’m not sure what all the quibbling’s about. It’s basically just a form of power armor, like a super-heavy dropsuit.

3 Likes

Mh, not quite. Dropsuits are for all intents and purposes practically clothes, potentially with some hardware to increase strength and provide support for your own actions. It’s entirely reactive to your movement. A bipedal walker of various kinds (especially if it has articulated upper limbs) requires vastly greater support hardware and software just to stay upright. Stabilization is a huge issue, as well as the power requirements if it’s to be more than just a ridiculously inefficient way to move around.

It’s doable, but mostly just pointless for most purposes. Those very few situations where the normally superior alternatives prove unusable though, then they are worth the investment so it can be a good idea to keep a stock of them and their pilots on hand just in case.

2 Likes

Its very efficient, walking motion is very energy efficient, just slower on open road. That is why it is treated as mechanized infantry and needs vehicles for fast transport, like every infantry.

Of course its doable, its so cheap that it cost is even less than LAV. That is why its sometimes used in a way it should not be used, some commanders thinking its very expendable and the fact it can be controlled remotely doesnt help for survivability of machine because it would be often used less cautiously, in risky situations like assaults on HAVs. It have so much potential for destruction, there is a vide array of heavy weaponry that can be installed, but being rather weakly armored for eye to eye encounter with a tank.

I think that questionable reputation may come from errors in usage, that its mass produced and cheap, and that its expendable.

1 Like

((Deleted))

It really isn’t. Just monitoring and compensating for the constantly-changing balance in a bipedal walker is a significant energy drain. Shockingly, wheeled and tracked vehicles don’t have to do that. Your walker does… even when not walking. It has to be constantly adjusting for changes in weight distribution and momentum as it turns, at is moves its arms, as that big, wide front catches the wind… wind might push a low, horizontal vehicle around a little. It won’t knock it over.

No, see, if it was, it’d be a lot more reasonable. Your limbs extend into the limbs of power armor. It’s using your movement as its movements, and just augmenting power, speed, etc. Your sense of balance tells it how to adjust its trim. Your kinesthetic sense is used to automatically make the precise and minute adjustments to weight distribution and posture that keep people from falling over when standing still. You don’t even think about it, but you do it. Your toes flex a little, your ankles and knees fidget, you lean a little this way or that as your hips angle in a slightly different way. It’s all part of keeping you upright.

In this thing, the pilot’s sitting in a cockpit either inside or no-where near the unit. All of the constant, complex, learned-reflexive adjustments you make every second… aren’t available. This thing doesn’t even look like it’s capable of the range of motion needed for those fine adjustments. The shoulders and hips appear to be rotational only, not true ball-and-socket joints like they’d need to be. The hips and ankles don’t indicate any lateral flexibility like you’d need to (for example) stand on sloped ground.

1 Like

It is not worn, its piloted. Autonomously walking and seeking the best way, you dont have to work your limbs… And it is truly efficient. The high speed of a very big armored vehicle is using a lot of energy to move, this is not using so muuch at all. Hidden in observation spot, masked with debris, camouflaged, lies in wait for surprise attack from the flank preferably.

2 Likes

Nobody has ever been able to camouflage a wheeled or tracked vehicle and execute a surprise attack. This technique was only developed with mechanical walking machines which continue to be the weapon of choice on the battlefield unless they get knocked over or trip on a tank or something.

2 Likes

Its unneded honestly, this sarcasm. What is the use of wheels and speed if you dont use them at all?
Really not usefull when you cant take your shiny tank on the roof making it conceal itself with a piece of wall, and that limits your possibilities.

1 Like

You’re not gonna put one of these on a rooftop without being spotted, either. Won’t fit through a standard doorway, and if it climbs the exterior… wow, that’s pretty exposed while it gouges out chunks of the building. Any aerial transport you’d use could just as easily be bringing a fixed emplacement… which’d have more armor for its weight, because it doesn’t have weight sunk into limbs and the systems to move them.

1 Like

Ahem.

NEEERDS!

3 Likes

I think that CONCORD MTAC does a good job when its needed, where its needed. Of course someone could underestimate them, usually to someones surprise indeed.

2 Likes

The State uses them too, and despite jokes about some silly media stuff they’re not known for romanticism. (More like a weird kind of inverted romanticism that romanticizes utility.) Actually I think Tibus Heth was an operator, which … I’m not sure it says anything at all about their practicality but might say something about what it takes to handle one.

1 Like