Utari's Puppies (Formerly Off-Topic Thread)

With respect, let her make her make mistakes, after all some people learn that way. Wouldn’t you say I haven’t learned my own lessons (or not learned if you wish to think that) from trying to reason with these people? It’s not harming anyone, and sooner or later the message will get through. Let a fool believe until they can’t ignore reality as they say. Experience is the best teacher…

1 Like

:scream:

1 Like

Eh, she’ll learn whether I allow it or not. The only real questions are what she’ll learn, and if it’ll be at all useful.

2 Likes

This new breed isn’t listening, don’t think I disagree with you but it really seems like lessons will only be learned by action not guidance.

1 Like

What? You want some?

1 Like

You are not like me. And you are not one of us.

“It could be worse” is NEVER a valid excuse to keep someone chained in servitude and slavery! We have a duty to do our best for the well-being of our people, and that means setting them free of your vile chains! It means giving them the opportunity for a better life, one that they control, even if that isnt realized for everybody, we don’t control fate. But we should never, ever, give in to despair and just accept the situation of these servants for the sickening excuse of “Well, it might be worse…” Yeah, and I might win the lottery.

And you know, “it could be worse” is part of why we free them. Freedom means being in control of your own life. It is yours to nurture or to ruin. Not everybody manages theirs well, but everybody damn well deserves the chance to try. The number who would legitimately be better off under an Amarr leash is low indeed.

But you wouldn’t know that, I imagine, full of Imperial propaganda as you are, I well remember the old lessons about how our race cannot be trusted to manage it’s own affairs and needs a “guiding hand”.

I’l not hide my feelings. I see you as misguided at best. A traitor, at worst. You are just as ignorant and blind as your former masters, pointing out the good while living in complete denial of the bad and making the occasional hollow gesture and commentary to make yourself appear noble. And just like your former masters, there is no point in trying to get you to see the truth.

I pity you, for they did a fine job of programming you. And I’l pity anyone else you say were “content and happy with where we were”, because they suffered the same. We put a lot of time and effort into undoing the horrid programming the Amarr put into their slaves, before which quite a few liberated slaves think they “didn’t have it so bad”. Your people are experts at indoctrination, and if we’re bringing personal experience into this, I’d know, wouldn’t I? Your words just reaffirm to me why all that effort is necessary.

Because without it, they will never even understand the gravity of what has been done to them and their fellows. And they will never understand just how rare true “happy ending” stories are. And then they hold those few up as examples for why we shouldn’t try to help the rest these “poor misguided children”.

What a masterstroke in PR and spin. Shove off. Moving on.

That’s fantastic, actually. Please, keep working on it, Mr Avarr. Great results can come from very pragmatic motivations, I wish you luck!

And I agree, the Empire would have a much easier time spreading it’s faith without the spectre of Human right’s abuses blemishing it.

3 Likes

Well well, look at this uppity little runt yapping and snarling around the feet of better people, thinking they know anything. You really should take some time to learn who and what you speak of, before you keep making yourself look quite this stupid.

Far more importantly, I think it’s time you started learning to understand your enemy, because your complete lack of understanding of them will be what fells you one day.

… well that or remain a blunt stupid object for others to wield. That’s quite valid too, but your words will remain weightless if so.

3 Likes

People sometimes ask me why I’m not naked more often in public.

Well. Unlike some people, I happen to be of the opinion that my naked body is for God and a select few to see.

1 Like

I think this is off topic even for the off topic thread!

1 Like

Well duh.

Wait, was that a sarcastic duh? I don’t know anymore!

No, really, yes. Gimme. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Eh, my graduating class was the same. Thought we had all the answers for the first year or two. Like I say… she’ll learn.

3 Likes

That’s how universities work. Students arrive, thinking they know everything, then they leave admitting they know nothing.

Pure academic vampirism.

2 Likes

Well said on that one, mine was the same I’d like to think.

1 Like

Your comment on my only flying for a week implies that you attach my words to my brief time in space. If you were trying to connect my politics to that, then you’re even more wrong: I’ve been studying politics, and particularly the issue of Amarrian slavery, since my teenage years.

This is literally the lamest, weakest rebuttal you could make in any discussion.

I was sarcastic the first time. If you didn’t catch on to it, then that’s a failing on your part. I’m not responsible for your assumptions.

Now this is a point that I would happily debate. In fact, it’s what I’ve been trying to debate, but you keep sidetracking to personal attacks.

Wrong again! I said that ‘abolitionists’ whose plans consist of conversation and punditry, or whose plans are producing no results, are wasting their time. ‘Legitimacy’ is a completely different matter, which I haven’t said anything about.

But you clearly don’t read to understand what others are saying. You only read what you want to read. Then you accuse them of saying things they never even said.

Maybe you’re feeling outclassed by someone who, as you originally pointed out, has only been in space for a week? Or threatened, perhaps? Is that why you took valuable time out of your day to investigate how long I’ve been flying?

IGS is a place for us to discuss politics and events. It’s not a venue for you to air out your personal failings and insecurities.

Let me know when you’ve gotten over yourself, and we’ll talk more then.

Bold is for emphasis.

1 Like

Actually, my comment wasn’t about you only flying for a week, and it didn’t imply anything of the sort. My comment was that you’ve only been in space for a week. And really, that’s not an implication that I’m attaching your words to your brief time in space, it’s outright declaring it. But, you know, you wanna keep saying things that’re wrong, who am I to stop you?

Then it seems you should’ve either studied harder, or gotten instructors who understood the breadth and scope of the different movements to abolish slavery. And for the record, that’s all an ‘abolitionist’ is: someone who advocates the abolition of slavery. It’s kinda right there in the word. If they’re active about it, they’re an ‘abolitionist activist’. And I’m sorry to say, but you don’t get to declare them ‘legitimate’ or ‘illegitimate’. Or even ‘meaningful’ or ‘meaningless’. Even the oldest, richest, and most powerful of among our egg carton don’t get to be the arbiters of that decision.

No dear, it’s a technical clarification. I’m not trying to claim you’re wrong about what you can fly, I’m just explaining that I have no way to verify what you’re saying, and so cannot vouch for your honesty. That’s not a rebuttal. If you think it is, perhaps you should look up the meaning of the word.

Actually, you are. In communication between individuals who aren’t telepaths, the onus for clear messaging is on the sender. I can’t read your mind. I don’t know exactly what dialect you’re communicating in before the translation software of the IGS converts it to the Amarr standard[1]. Similarly, you don’t know what language I’m writing this in. Some pilots, for example, use exclusively their native tongue, and it causes translation issues when two words that are related, but not identical, are actually translated into the same word in their language.

As a result, you can’t assume that anything you communicate in text ever conveys tone of voice. If you want to convey tone, you have to be clear. You have to be very good at crafting and structuring your sentences to convey tone. You can’t rely, for example, on italics to convey sarcasm. As Valerie’s indicated[2], most people use it for emphasis, not sarcasm. Also, are you really trying to claim this was “sarcastic”:

Because it doesn’t seem like it. It seems like you were using italics for, you know… emphasis. Explain to me where the sarcasm is in that[3]?

I don’t see where there’s much room to debate it. You can’t live in the Empire without providing direct economic and materiel support to the Empire. Living in the Empire provides that, by default. Supporting the Empire doesn’t mean you agree with its policies. It is entirely possible to agitate and work to change those policies while still paying your taxes. So what, exactly, do you think there is to debate about it?

If you’ll look back at what your reply was about, you’ll find the word ‘legitimate’ doesn’t occur in that post (or any of the preceding posts) in our conversation chain at all.

So, who is it you’re claiming brought that into the discussion between you and I, and would you like to try being right this time?

Or, you know, maybe I’m a pedantic jerk who enjoys this sort of thing. I’ll give you some time to ask around about that, if you’d like[4].

Both are, actually, and can be used to convey different levels of emphasis in the same post.

1. Which, for the record, is racist damned crap, but it is what it is.
  2. Additional complaint: you’ve made me agree with Valerie. I hate when people do that.
  3. I could see it as sarcastic if you’d said, for example “Oh, sure, words and changing perceptions and making them comfortable will work”, but not the thing you actually said. Sarcasm means your statement relies on irony, and saying ‘it’s irresponsible and naive to think [STUFF] will ever have an effect on the matter’ isn’t ironic when what you actually mean is… ‘it’s irresponsible and naive to think [STUFF] will ever have an effect on the matter’.
  4. But holy crap, do you really need to? I USE FREAKING FOOTNOTES TO BE EVEN MORE PEDANTIC WITHOUT INTERRUPTING THE FLOW OF MY PEDANTRY. This should be a clue!
2 Likes

It’s true. Arrendis is the second coming of Saint Pedanticus Triplicata, saint of the Amarr Civil Service.

2 Likes

Shut up, you. I’m trying to be better. I am. And I wasn’t doing too badly at it until someone comes along dragging chum behind the boat… grrrr…

2 Likes

Will confirm, Arrendis is pedantic. Not convinced about the jerk part, but I’m perverse and derive enjoyment from listening to pedants, at least from time to time.

1 Like

So this is where all the mouthy Minmatar went.

Good. Lord Avarr, keep them distracted whilst I blow up more TLF.

1 Like

Do I need to come back there? Some people can walk and talk, if they can’t or don’t seem to be then maybe people who can should come back for a visit…

1 Like