[RAZSU] Zaibatsu Associated News Institute hub

Interview: Kalaratiri

Thebeka - Adriel

January 8th YC 121

After sharing a conversation with Elsebeth Rhiannon of Electus Matari, ZANIE has moved on to the next name on the list of figures to meet with and discuss the ongoing crisis in the Thebeka system.

This time around, ZANIE field reporter Kalto Moxsin has managed to make contact with a third party that came to Thebeka to provide humanitarian support to both sides of the conflict. Two freeports were erected to provide this aid, but legitimacy was brought into question by the public due to the owners having ties to the Angel Cartel. A plan was made for a neutral third party to step in and conduct the search and it ended up being none other than the Raata Zaibatsu - This would be the Zaibatsu’s first involvement in Thebeka before ZANIE started covering the ongoing events.

The owner of these structures is the Capsuleer Kalaratiri, and Kalton Moxin has been given the chance to sit down and discuss her new involvements in Thebeka after Caldari Militia forces briefly inserted themselves into Thebeka to besiege the two freeports during the Zaibatsu’s inspection - which was yielding no evidence of malicious goals. Zaibatsu forces evacuated and were unable to conclude the search, the freeports were spared after Kalaratiri struck a deal with attacking forces to un-anchor the structures - This deal was followed up on, but unfortunately the attackers did not state in their agreement that the pilot would cease operation in Thebeka, only unanchor the freeports. As such, Kalaratiri is back, having anchored an astrahus for a new purpose.

In order to find out more, we turn to the transcript of the conversation the two shared.

[Kalto]
"Today, I have the pleasure of being aboard the newly, and controversially, anchored citadel in Thebeka - Adriel. An Astrahus-class Citadel owned by the Capsuleer "Kalaratiri", who’s sitting right across from me. Kalaratiri, thank you for having me - normally I’d start off by asking how you’re feeling, but I feel it’s more appropriate if I start off asking what exactly is going on here? You started off with two freeports aimed at providing humanitarian care for any side in the conflicts and now you’ve returned after fulfilling your agreement. "

[Kalaratiri]
It’s nothing too complicated. The Raitarus Hesediel and Jegudiel were taken down after negotiations with the aggressors, and now Adriel has been erected for a different purpose.

[Kalto]
"But what purpose exactly? Are you starting to swing for one side of the conflict? Simply interfering with select parties? Or a new motive that contradicts the humanitarian motive you’ve previously came to Thebeka with?"

[Kalaratiri]
Well, I can’t say too much or I’d be giving the game away. I can say I’m not attempting to be humanitarian any more.

[Kalto]
"I wanna come back to this, but first I think it’s urgent that we address the titan in the hanger before doing so…See what I did there? Capsuleers - titans? Anyway, when you first came to Thebeka with a humanitarian motive it was met with doubt from both sides given that you have some ties to the Angel Cartel. Now allow me to say we’re not judging you, simply asking and allowing you to set the record straight on the subject of your allegiances or sympathies. So the direct question is “Are you a sympathizer of the Angel Cartel?” To be blunt. If yes, could you go into detail as to exactly why? Or are these ties purely a business relationship.”

[Kalaratiri]
“More than a sympathizer, I answer directly to a Domination, when he calls. Despite that, my exact status with the Cartel is complicated. They very, very rarely accept Capsuleers publicly. It’s probably best described as me choosing to align myself with the Cartel, the Guardians in particular, while they, at an official level, pretend I don’t exist. This arrangement suits us both fine. As for why, the Cartel has always been most welcoming on a personal level. They gave me a family when I didn’t have one.”

[Kalto]
"So this isn’t a business relationship, thus your association isn’t about currency? To you have some duty to fulfill for the cartel? Or to streamline all those questions, when you take orders from the higher ups, why do you carry them out? What’s your motivation aside from seeing family in the Cartel?"

[Kalaratiri]
“Does there need to be more?”

[Kalto]
"In a manner of speaking, yes, As I said, I wanted to come back to the subject of your new motive in Thebeka… When you first came, you claimed to have an honorable goal in mind for why you’re putting up assets worth millions of ISK in orbit of Thebeka III. The public doubts them due to your association with the cartel - And forgive me if I’m assuming how you think, but I imagine you’re thinking "Why should I care what the public thinks?" That’s not what I’m asking to figure out - What I’m trying to figure out is what are you here for this second time around? Are you here to fulfill some arrangement for the Cartel? A blunt example fulfilling the fear other Capsuleers had and trying to take advantage of the crisis to acquire slaves for the cartel? Or is all this gonna be kept between you and the Capsuleers who thought they could run you out of town? Who’s the target in the crosshairs here? And if you don’t want to be specific, I’ll take a single word answer of either Capsuleer or Baseliners.”

[Kalaratiri]
“I have no interest in taking anybody from the planet. I didn’t before and I don’t now.”

[Kalto]
"Your response holds merit as the Myrskytuuli Regiment inspectors assigned to check your freeports for any signs of foul play didn’t turn up any evidence to suggest you were interested in keeping any of the locals. Albeit the search was cut short after the Caldari Militia showed up all of a sudden, but I digress. So this is about the other Capsuleers? If you still don’t have interest in taking any of the planetside population and are no longer interested in providing humanitarian support, then you must be here for the Capsuleers. What else is up here in Thebeka? Now I ain’t asking for you to give me a list of your targets, but what is this about? Just, you’re done playing nice and are playing the troublesome pirate they want you to be?"

[Kalaratiri]
“There’s a lot of potential reasons for me to remain in Thebeka; some of them might even be accurate. Simply, I’m here because it’s where I want to be right now.”

[Kalto]
"Well I wouldn’t exactly call Thebeka the most ideal place to have a vacation if you’re here for the scenery."

[Kalaratiri]
“I certainly have been enjoying the view. It’s a very pretty planet.”

[Kalto]
"With all due respect…Your determination to remain vague about your goal is troublesome. I understand the meaning "op sec" and I’m not here asking for your fleet doctrines or what kind of hardware you’re bringing in, I’m wanting to get a clear cut answer as to what you’re here for the second time around. I thank you for inviting me here and allowing me talk, but I feel as if you don’t want answer the question I’m presenting to you directly."

[Kalaratiri]
“My apologies, I’m not intending to be unreasonably vague. My intentions in Thebeka are… I suppose you could say "pleasure, not business". I’m here to test myself and others, to keep things interesting .”

[Kalto]
"So is this no longer about Thebeka III and the ongoing conflict planetside? Or would you still have interest in it? A preferred outcome for example."

[Kalaratiri]
“I’ve never taken one side or another in the conflict on the ground. But no, this is not about Thebeka III.”

[Kalto]
"Very well then, I’ll leave it at that. To change gears, can I ask about the crew on this citadel? Are workers here locals to Thebeka or Amarrian space like the personnel aboard your previous freeports?"

[Kalaratiri]
“I honestly haven’t really checked. I expect most of them are locals to the system and Empire, maybe the couple of systems around Thebeka at the furthest. I left crew hiring to my own employees.”

[Kalto]
"But can you confirm for us that some of the staff aboard your citadel are military personnel? I.E Mercenaries? Or is it entirely composed of civilian level staff - and a security detachment."

[Kalaratiri]
“I honestly don’t know. Probably some sort of security? There’s no military under my direct employment at least.”

[Kalto]
“Very well then, I’ll leave it at that - Now I have one final question for you to wrap this up, and forgive me if this one ends up being a dud - But what does the name @Alar_Chakaid mean to you? Sa-Baron of Zirsem V and prominent figure of controversy during the Kahah III incident. Ground zero for what would be the chain reaction that is Thebeka III and the other massive revolts going on in Amarrian Borders - And during a previous interview I had the pleasure of having with Elsebeth Rhiannon, she pointed out that this was a Khanid Lord trying to step out of Amarrian influences in the Kingdom. What are your thoughts of this individual? Is this man just a pissant trying to out shitpost immortal demigods on a message board, or would you say there’s something larger in play here?"

[Kalaratiri]
“Chakaid is an interesting man. Anyone willing to directly insult Capsuleers on their own turf is either extremely stupid or supremely confident. Whether he is backed up by the Kingdom, the Empire, or some other player, he certainly seems confident in his own position and his backer’s ability to protect him. This alone makes him worth watching in my opinion.”

[Kalto]
"An intriguing remark…I thank you for having me Kalaratiri, it was an honor to speak to you - In fact, I’d like to personally thank you for this promotion. If you never anchored those two freeports and gave the Zaibatsu to come out here - I’d wouldn’t be covering this Thebeka story. Enough about me though, before we go I wanna open the floor to you for one final remark, anything you feel worth commenting on that we didn’t cover, or if you have any message to the wider public…either being encouraging or intimidating. You also have the option to opt out of this final moment if you prefer."

[Kalaratiri]
“I’d like to take a moment to thank everyone who’s made a showing in Thebeka so far, and to encourage anyone watching to jump in as well. It really is the season’s hottest location.”

[Kalto]
"I still doubt this system being a vacation spot, but that works, thank you. And thank you once again for speaking with me. I uh…Wish you luck out there…I guess. Thank you."

8 Likes