[RAZSU] Zaibatsu Associated News Institute hub

Interview: Korsavius

Semiki - Conglomerate Observation post

January 30th YC 121

The situation in Semiki is escalating, damage is continuing to spread as this malicious malware runs rampant with no obvious solution at any party’s disposal. Details have been released to the public by official Caldari State authorities that only raises more questions, the malware in question of this attack is an unknown mutation of a infectious Rogue Drone subroutine. In response, Capsuleers desiring to provide aid have gathered and stockpiled rogue drone components as per request of Ishukone Watch’s Officer Kauntora Itkaku. Along with Triglavian datastream vaults found exclusively in Abyssal deadspace pockets across New Eden.

Curious, ZANIE’s external team have decided to dig in deeper to the Semiki story and get some one-on-one time with some of the prominent Capsuleer organizations operating in the area. Kalto Moxin of the external news team has first sought out a representative of the Capsuleer alliance I-RED, a Capsuleer Alliance and subsidiary of the Ishukone Corporation. The representative Kalto would gain the honor of speaking with is Chujo Korbin Lavius of the Revenant Defence Corporation. Better known by his DED callsign “Korsavius”, Korbin Lavius is a Capsuleer that has served the Ishukone Corporation for multiple years and knowledgeable about the way of life in the domain of the Ishukone Corporation. As well as a combat pilot present in the Semiki system should the need arise.

We go now to a transcript between Kalto Moxin and Korbin Lavius aboard the jointly owned HECON/I-RED citadel in system.

[Kalto]
"Today - Aboard the Astrahus-citadel jointly owned by the Heiian Conglomerate and the Ishuk-Raata Enforcement Directive in the Semiki system, i have the honor of sitting across from the Revenant Defence Corporation’s Vice Admiral, Korbin Lavius. - thank you for having me, but before we begin mind if you tell me what you prefer i address you as? I’m aware some parties might know you better by a callsign?"

[Korsavius]
“Chujo Lavius is what most of my colleagues refer to me as in formal communications. Welcome aboard the facility, I hope you’ve found accommodations thus far acceptable aboard the structure.”

[Kalto]
"Well it exactly a 5-star Hotel, but this citadel ain’t here to house tourists… Semiki - A dead end system apart of a extremely small network of hi-security systems cut off from the mainland…Probably for the best as this system houses a unique station, the Biohazard containment facility owned by the Zainou Bitotech company. A sabutour of unknown motive compromises containment and a mysterious piece of malware appears…Matters you all up to date with of course, but rehashing to ask the questions if you think this is just another attack or something that warrants more concern. Now forgive me if I’m assuming i know what you’re gonna say, but of course a response to that question would be "Any attack against the State is worth concern" but this aint an attack with guns and a fleet - this is an attack fought with megabytes and malware."

[Korsavius]
I will reiterate what Ikomari-Onu Enforcement’s Hageken Ku stated in an article put forth by the Scope - an attack like this likely required some significant entity or an entity with significant resources. Or perhaps both. Regardless, I-RED in particular sprung into action immediately due to being a capsuleer subsidiary of the Ishukone Corporation. When our parent corporation or its subsidiaries come under distress, we are there to answer the call to duty.

[Kalto]
"That doesn’t answer my question exactly…See as i said, this an attack on the Caldari State - or more specifically I-RED’s parent corporation in this case. Nobody is surprised that I-RED is here…That’s not even an insult, it’s just expected. You’re a credible organization loyal to the Ishukone Corporation, you’re gonna be there for them - that’s obvious. And based off this theory that this ain’t some disgruntled ex-employee exacting revenge by himself but rather a pawn moved a spawn forward on the behalf of some bigger player…Now i know I-RED’s policy already, you’re not about to start naming any mega-corporation as a potential culprit so we ain’t getting into that. And really that only leaves you naming the Guristas or some other criminal organization…But again, that doesn’t answer my question. My question is should there be more concern? Because the State’s well trained Navy and army were not even touched in this attack… The Caldari State just got hit where it hurts, in its technology. A sensitive facility such as this biohazard containment station undoubtedly ain’t slouching on its hardware - and some key systems got ruined by whatever malware this saboteur was packing. Now i ask again, do you think this should be a larger concern to not just the State, but to the rest of New Eden?"

[Korsavius]
You’ll have to forgive me for misinterpreting what your question was initially. I believe the ramifications of an attack like this could potentially be of concern to many people across New Eden. As it stands, however, it is of immediate concern to Zainou, Aliastra, and Ishukone first and foremost. Any information to be gained from the ongoing investigation can then be released to the public as deemed necessary by the aforementioned parties.

[Kalto]
“Right…Speaking of the tight lid on details of this whole case, i wanna talk about this "NDA" pact I-RED, HECON nad friends are adhering to. Would say this NDA policy is working in favor of I-RED or against it? I get you’re here to do a job, not rub up to the press. But when it comes to IKAME’s involvement in Semiki, the NDA was rather straining on public relations no? Allow me to be honest with you Chujo Lavius, when coordinating with my team we kept referring to I-RED and HECON as the "NDA bloc" given how this agreement was required if any group wanted to cooperate closer with I-RED and HECON in the matter. Where IKAME rolls in with NDA requirement and gathers their own support with no problems…At the end of the day everyone is trying help the same people, what I’m trying to understand as to why there is a schism in helping these people."

[Korsavius]
“Whether or not it’s working in favor of or not really depends on your perspective of things. Our teams have access to plenty of resources as it is and are doing their jobs just fine. However, admittedly, it would probably be of benefit if we had additional resources and knowledge on hand. In terms of the relationship between IKAME and I-RED, obviously the NDA was an issue which put some strain on our otherwise positive relationship. Unfortunately this revolves around a difference in perspective on things. We answer to Ishukone first; the public may me informed on matters if and when Ishukone officials deem it appropriate. IKAME, by nature and due to their line of work, answer to the public. Under normal circumstances we applaud them for their effort to neutrality and transparency. However, when it comes to matters such as dealing with the safety and security of citizens under the umbrella of Ishukone, we simply cannot agree with handling things in such a way. Hence the “schism” as you so call it.”

[Kalto]
"What exactly is I-RED’s relationship with IKAME aside from both organizations being in the service of the Caldari State? At least two occasions has there been some tensions on the IGS and at least one were I-RED’s diplomatic rep Julianna had to step in to put a stop to it…Let’s also not forget that a one Bataav of the ILF makes an announcement that he personnelly would be cooperating closer with IKAME over I-RED and next thing we know we got a article out of I-RED’s news outlet reporting of protesting aboard one of your refineries in the Syndicate regions with residents declaring this man a traitor - even after stating that other pilots of ILF were free to work with either Bloc of the semiki crisis…So you could say everything is nice and dandy between I-RED and IKAME, but I ain’t seeing it."

[Korsavius]
“I-RED and IKAME have been in positive standings for a variety of reasons, but it can be boiled down to both groups being ultimately affiliated to Ishukone - albeit indirectly in IKAME’s case. As for the instance where Miss Avala stepped in, well…let us just say my colleagues over at Oniseki-Raata Internal Watch aren’t exactly known for their cool tempers. Still, they are capable and loyal soldiers, and they are performing their current assignments well enough. And for the protests that took place aboard the Tash-Murkon Refinery, I believe the article stated a possible psychological reason as to why those individuals did what they did. To summarize what was said, those Intaki are intimately aware of the long-standing friendship between I-RED and IPI. Suresha Bataav’s decision was thus interpreted as a betrayal to that friendship, and those disgruntled Intaki chose to exercise their privilege of free speech and peaceful protest. Humans are complex creatures, and there are bound to be a spectrum of emotions involved in such a situation, as well as a varying degree of intensity of those emotions.”

[Kalto]
"I’ll leave it at that then…Let’s talk about Aliastra and how they got caught up in the collateral damage of this attack. Can you offer any insight on what the plan might’ve been? COmputer systems get destroyed and this malware stowing away on a shuttle transferring staff to the nearby Aliastra Warehouse - Docks up, shuttle connects to the network and this malware awakens and starts wrecking havoc for any implanted staff members. What would you say this? Accidental? Intentional to cause more damage? Or A distraction to throw investigators off the scent?"

[Korsavius]
“It is overall a very strange and unusual situation, and at this stage it is difficult to say for certain what the plan was behind the overall attack. It is interesting that the adaptive virus affected station systems aboard the Zainou facility, but then transferred to implant technology aboard the Aliastra station. Two small teams, an IT and an engineering team, were permitted by Ishukone to dock aboard the Zainou station and given access to the station management systems. I cannot say much on the results of their investigation into the station virus, but I can say they are baffled by the malware which has been causing havoc with different station services controlled by the central station information management system. The malware appears very difficult to detect before it flares up and interferes with a particular service. It seems as though systems integrated with the central management system are the ones that appear affected - things like maglev trains, public buses, shuttles, gravity generators, and more. As a precautionary measure, the I-RED teams have submitted a recommendation to terminate connections with the central management system to observe if the malware has integrated itself thoroughly with just the central management system, or if it has also permanently entrenched itself aboard all systems connected to the network. Meanwhile, aboard the HECON Astrahus, Dr. Mayaseki and his team of cybernetics experts are hard at work conjuring a solution for the cerebral cybernetic bug which has been plaguing Aliastra employees. I cannot comment on the nature of their work thus far, only that multiple avenues are being explored to cure affected individuals.”

[Kalto]
What About Devara Biotech? Are you able to comment on their contributions thus far? The company owner Mizhir made an IGS announcement regarding her company agreeing to the NDA and cooperating with I-RED and HECON in the matter to provide aid to the affected Aliastra employees. What can you say about their involvement?

[Korsavius]
Devara Biotech has been of considerable help thus far. Dr. Devara has been very communicative with Dr. Mayaseki and his team, and her insights into biotechnology have helped push along development for a solution to the maladaptive cybernetic bug afflicting Aliastra employees.

[Kalto]
"I take it the subject of your development thus far is classified?"

[Korsavius]
“I-RED and our allies will publish our findings at an appropriate time, yes”

[Kalto]
“Speaking of allies, are you able to comment on Commander Edward Adams of HECON? From my understanding the Commander is serving a unique function of being a middle man negotiator between Federal and Caldari contacts in this crisis. Have all talks with Federal parties gone smoothly without any conflicting interests?"

[Korsavius]
“I don’t wish to speak too much for Commander Adams and his work, but yes he has split his teams in different operating taskforces to accomplish multiple things at once. One of those groups is responsible for functioning as a liaison between Federal and Caldari contacts. I do not believe I am at liberty to discuss the talks which have occurred between Federal contacts such as Aliastra and Commander Adam’s team.”

[Kalto]
"Alright then Chujo Lavius, good enough answer as any. Now i do believe we’re running out of time and you got more pressing matters to attend to . So i got one final questions before we move onto final remarks…A very disturbing development with the investigation was released to the public detailing that the malware causing havoc right now is a mutation of a Rogue Drone subroutine…Authorities request drone samples in the form of AI chips, parts and Triglavian datastreams. Capsuleers answer the call. Donate their materials to their respective bloc of assisting organizations. IKAME however came under fire by CONCORD however for amassing a stockpile that exceeds regulations and CONCORD rep Oveg Drust announces on the IGS that IKAME hand over all materials with a small grace period to do so…Might i ask how I-RED sees this? IS CONCORD in the right to confiscate all these materials that Capsuleers have invested time or ISK into to obtain? Or would you stand by IKAME if they decide to defy this request so that the authorities investigating this crime can have all the material they need to get to the bottom of this?"

[Korsavius]
I-RED has always attempted to comply with CONCORD directives. As such, as stated already by head diplomat Julianni Avala, we believe firmly that IKAME should obey the order provided by Oveg Drust. Whether or not it is "right" for CONCORD to act in such a way is irrelevant and subjective - they stand as the ultimate enforcer of order and law within New Eden. I-RED cannot condone an action performed by IKAME that would be counterproductive to a direct order from the highest interstellar authority. Once again, we encourage IKAME to surrender the aforementioned materials, and function in a manner befitting an organization loyal to Ishukone and the State. I-RED has already begun the process of surrendering over our collection of materials to Commander Drust.

[Kalto]
“Fair enough, as i said that will be our final questions. But before we go our separate ways i want to open the floor to you for final remarks. If you feel like there’s something you want to talk about or get out there to the public…Now’s the chance. Hell if you want to put the saboteur responsible for all this on blast we can work with that…Thought i doubt you’d go that far so…Yeah just say whatever is on your mind to close these talks. OR hey, if you don’t got anything then that’s fine.”

[Korsavius]
I do not have any closing remarks I wish to say. Thank you for stopping by.

[Kalto]
"Alright, Chujo Lavius, it was a pleasure speaking with you. Good luck out there."

12 Likes