I still feel like the "stare at dscan for 45 minutes" meta game doesn't respect my time

the plethora of bots out there tend to bear this out.

we’re rapidly skating onto some very thing ice here.

The difference is the difficulty of detecting it. Someone using an automated Dscan script is easily detectable for CCP, because no human being, no matter how disciplined, would be able to constantly Dscan without rather huge deviation in scan times. The amount of ‘dscan requests’ they would get from a scripted client vs. a manual client even of a very disciplined wormholer paying attention would nonetheless be a whole magnitude higher. You might say “no no this isn’t true, a good human could dscan every 3 seconds as well!” but it isn’t true. Even the best imaginable human will miss rather huge chunks of seconds to scan, sometimes even a minute or more. Because he is disturbed by something, drinking something, scratching his ass or yelling at his dog. The time deviations by any script, even a well programmed one with slightly random delays implemented would be way smaller and the total amount of ‘pings’ during any given timeframe much higher.

With automated dscan by design the only datapoints CCP would have to detect a botter would be the reactions to actual events (aka warpouts if someone shows up on that Dscan). But thats a thousand times less datapoints, often hours, if not days afar from each other. Hard to make a case out of it because no one can prove if a bot initiated the warpout (a good bot would have a slightly randomized average human reaction delay implemented anyway) or the player just coincidentally looked at the scan results and reacted quickly. So their logs would actually show nothing any more what a player couldn’t have done as well.

Not saying they actually care, the amount of Ishtars in nullsec or Iceminers in Highsec that are very obivously botted or at least input-broadcasted tell a story…, a paid omega Bot is income as well for CCP. However, for me personally it is one reason to be against even more automatisms, even if they would add convenience. People missing these scans enables PvPers to get tackles, it creates opportunities to get kills, which makes the game interesting.

2 Likes

Besides, making Dscan automatic would create a massive strain on the servers. If only for that reason it won’t happen and I’m glad about that.

I don’t believe this is the case. The d-scan simply shows you a readout of data that already exists.

All items in space are constantly tracked by a set of coordinates, in real time. When you d-scan, it’s a very simple (and I believe local) mathematical calculation of the differences between the coordinates. Even if there are 10,000 objects in space, each one is basically a single z-plane calculation, which needs very few clock cycles.

Server strain primarily stems from the need to multiplex signals in an exponential manner as the player count increases.

3 Likes

For the ones on grid yes, the ones off grid not really so much. That’s part of the reason grids exist.

Beyond that it’s still a requirement to read and “print out” the data. The percentage of clients that do manual Dscans is very low at any given time, would ALL clients go “give me the numbers” every few seconds it would massively affect the server.

1 Like

Why argue this will be bad for servers if you dont know.

1 Like

It seems like people who are against it agree it will be popular

I mean, the server always tracks every object’s position in real time (at every second; maybe not for static objects). It would be a 3-figure coordinate set for x, y, and z (I’m curious what kind of variable CCP uses for this). Beyond that, it’s not very resource-intensive to send a snapshot of these coordinates to a client upon request. Alternatively, the relative distance calculation could simply be performed server-side to save on bandwidth at the expense of clock cycles. I’m not sure, but it feels client-side to me, because it feels slightly slower on my slower computer than on the faster one, although that could be be caused by other things. Either way, even a few hundred players running d-scans at the same time likely wouldn’t significantly impact performance considering the relative power of today’s servers and networks.

1 Like

No.

But when it’s 30000 it gets a bit different.

Auto-D-Scan is not only obviously necessary but it makes sense in EvE’s universe.
Just like a Bounty System (whenCCP?)

And too many items do not have BPOs. I read that every ship and module is made by players. Was that a lie?

There are many exceptions, one of the most notable are that Meta modules are dropped by NPCs.

It’s a spam posting character who joined the forums 2 weeks ago. Clearly an alt of someone who’s been here before. Why even bother with legit replies?

Do you know of a website where I can find a list of those Meta modules? I’m guessing there’s a whole lot of them because everytime I browse modules I find a bunch without BPOs.

At least I’m not a mean troll like you.

Not a convenient one, no. Sorry. You’ll have to go through module-by-module variants that aren’t T1, T2, storyline, faction, nor deadspace.

Simply performing bomb-squad duties defusing the needless “was that a lie?” faux-outrage. If I’m going to be a mean pro-PvP-er, at least I’ll be a helpful but foolish one.

2 Likes

Looks like I have some work cut out for me. That should justify the hours I stay docked.
Thank you.

It’s no outrage, faux or vrais.
it was simply a question.

I’m starting to understand why this forum barely has 10 people who post and why the devs ignore this place.

1 Like

You’re being played, if you’re ok with that that’s fine ofc.

If you check the EVE Uni article on it, you’ll get a list of the prefixes most meta modules use:
https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Tech_and_meta_levels

• Upgraded: Straight-up better stats
  • Compact: Reduced fitting cost (less CPU and powergrid use)
  • Enduring: Longer cycle time and/or lower capacitor use
  • Ample: Higher capacity
  • Scoped: Longer range
  • Restrained: Less severe drawbacks
  • Precise: Better tracking

Head to a searchable website like EVE Tycoon and put each of those prefixes into a search bar. You’ll end up with a list of modules for each type. Probably won’t be 100% complete but should put you in the ballpark.

2 Likes

Auto descan should be an option. The same as when jumping stargates

followed by

you just completely blew your own argument out of the water.
what you describe as extra server calculations are server calls that would need to be performed in order for auto d-scan to work. either by pushing that info out to clients, or in response to a request from the client as its auto d-scan cycles.
these extra server calls create extra strain on the server. as strain on the server increases, we get tidi.
more server calls means more tidi, faster.
they may be ‘simple calculations’, but they’re still calculations that would need to be constantly performed for every ship in space.

and what happens when we get thousands of players in a system? like, oh, idk, Jita? Granted most are docked up, but there’s probably between 500 and a thousand or so in space at any given time.