Preferences, sig. line and pilot info

Under the old forum set-up, there were a few specific settings that don’t seem to have been ported into the new forums, if this is to be the brave new discussion space for Eve pilots, I’d like these back, please.

The notification settings in the old forum (see picture below) were far more nuanced than the current available options and it’d be nice if these could be incorporated into the available preference settings here.

In the old forum, there was some basic information that appeared under your name - Corporation name and number of likes. I do like the new pop-up window that appears when you click on someone’s picture, but as yet none of this information is there. I think it’d be good if it was (as well as the pilot’s security rating maybe?).

There was also the option of a sig line that you could set to appear after your posts in the old forum. Can we have this back too please?

1 Like

I was about to make a post about not being able to see everyone’s corp and alliance at a glance. It can occasionally be quite revealing.

the profile as it currently is … has to be written / edited by the user - the corp name wasnt exported to discourse as far as I know
But I think you are right, I find this data also vital and want them back …

1 Like

The new notifications don’t give you the same degree of forum-wide customization, but they give you an amazing degree of control over the notifications for categories and topics that the old forum lacked.

1 Like

Hi there,

Regarding corporation and alliance tags, please view this post from CCP Avalon. As Avalon states here we are not supporting signatures on these forums.

In regards to notifications, you will get notifications (depending on your settings) for the following things:

• Replies
  • New Topics
  • @mentions
The Mail / Wall notifications are not supported with these new forums. They are part of Eve Gate instead.

1 Like

If members of the ISD or CCP reply to this, It’d be nice if they could include some kind of response to the original post, eg:

1. The lack of nuance in the notification settings.
  2. The issue around information on a pilot (corporation name and number of likes etc).

It’d also be useful to know exactly why CCP Avalon thinks getting rid of signatures is a good thing (the link that you posted @ISD_Stall doesn’t explain this) and this is especially relevant if the plan is to get rid of corporation info in the bio instead (click someone’s name or picture to read). At the moment all that appears is my name, the stupid forum version of my name, and (since I’ve added it into the ‘About me’ bit of the profile) my sig. line.

So again, regarding the settings:

• These forums are as separate as possible from Tranquillity. This is by design. The idea is that, should Tranquillity be offline for some reason these forums stay up. The only issue there is that you have to be logged in before the cluster goes offline to be able to post, but you’re still able to read posts even if your offline.

• Part of that means that there is no link to corporation or alliance information. If you look at my post above Avalon said if they were to add that information in the future he would want to get it right. It is not a priority at the moment.

• As to the ‘lack of nuance’ I am not quite sure what you mean, if you can elaborate I will try to respond.

In regards to the signature issue, this comes down to a few factors. First and foremost the creators of the Discourse forums do not create a function for forum signatures. They instead provide you with user biographies (the item you linked). CCP has made the decision to follow this, and as such you are not permitted to make a signatures.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply.

Given that there’s no link to Tranquillity I guess I understand the lack of a link, however, presumably there could still be tweaks to the amount of information that people could add to their profiles so that people could choose to manually add in the corporation they’re in, right?

In terms of the nuance issue …

Under the new forums there just is one notification option: “Notify when liked” and the options for this are, ‘always’, ‘first time a post is liked and daily’, ‘first time a post is liked’ and ‘never’.

There is an option under email, “Send me an email when someone quotes me, replies to my post, mentions my @username, or invites me to a topic” but nothing like this under notifications.

Under the old forums, there were more nuanced options, specifically:

• Show when somebody posts a reply to a forum thread you’re subscribed to
    (this could be a bookmarked thread in the new forums)
  • Show when somebody likes your post
    (this one does exist in the new forum)
  • Show when somebody posts on your wall
    (I think this could be when someone invites you to a topic. although there is an email option on this there’s nothing under notifications)
  • Show when somebody comments on your wall post
    (again although there is an email option on this there’s nothing under notifications)
  • Show when somebody comments on a post other characters have made on your wall (this one exists in the new forum)
  • Show when you receive new Calendar Event (It would be useful to maybe have a geographic filter on events - maybe country or city keyword based - so that events that you might be interested in could be highlighted)
  • Show when you receive new EVE Mail (this one exists in the new forum)

I hope that clarifies things.

• Show when somebody posts a reply to a forum thread you’re subscribed to
  • These forums call this option “tracking” and it comes in 4 different flavors.
  • In topics you can change this setting with a button located below the timeline, or at the bottom of the topic.
  • In categories you can change the setting with the button located next to the “New Topic” at the top.

Notifications for the EVE Gate wall

These options will not be ported to the new forums.

• Show when somebody posts on your wall
  • Show when somebody comments on your wall post
  • Show when somebody comments on a post other characters have made on your wall

Eve Mail / Calendar events

We have not added any features to the forums that fetches data, such as corporation/alliance identity, eve-mail, or calendar events from the EVE servers. We may explore our options regarding adding such features in the future, but nothing is set in stone regarding what features we may explore or offer.

1 Like

Thanks @CCP_Avalon, that’s really useful information.

How about expanding the personal info so people can add in corporations and so on?

You’re welcome.

As for the corporation/alliance info, we have an answer on that here. Unless you’re referring to adding fields so users can enter them manually, which is something we could also explore.

Thanks for another prompt reply @CCP_Avalon.

Yeah, it was the ability to enter the info manually. In a previous post on this thread @ISD_Stall explained about the break from a link with Tranquillity (which is understandable from a logical point of view).

I think a lot of us would still like to be able to ‘fly the flag’ so to speak, for our corporations so if we could enter the info manually that’d be brilliant.

I’m rather proud to be a member of Nul-Bridge Industrial Technologies - small but perfectly formed!

PS: Out of curiosity, is colour text ever going to be an option?

Heya, @CCP_Avalon just wanted to add my bits on here.

When it comes to signatures, it does add a bit of extra personal touch and I always liked seeing others signatures.

I can understand about the corp/alliance/walls/ect since that info isn’t going to be connected/ported over, but signatures would be nice to have without having to click on the persons name just to read the ‘about me’ - it’s convenience, and I’ve also found cool blogs and posts via the signatures being right there under the person’s posts where I would have most likely missed those had it been on this theme since you’d have to click everyone’s bio.

That said, I still have very few gripes on the new forums and overall like them, just wanted to throw my 2 cents out there on this topic. Thanks! :relieved:

1 Like

My understanding is CCP as well as the discourse devs are against signatures because they add clutter, especially when they appear on a low-value post with 2-3 words and they take up 20 times as much space as the actual post.

If you scroll down there, you’ll see exactly why signatures aren’t offered. :stuck_out_tongue:

A plugin does exist to support them, but really, we’re better off without them!

1 Like

I never thought they took too much space. You were only able to put in 5 lines and no more than 250 characters.

As for the link posted, I’m not familiar with the forum software that’s being used of course but, I would assume that signatures could be set to text only to get rid of things like that?

1 Like

Yay, signatures were always a distracting waste. I would be okay with a short line that doesn’t cause extra post height and only supports basic links, like “[Corp] Recruitment” would be useful to many. The multicolored sigs and/or pics is annoying.

1 Like

my thinking is, that it does make forums messy, having sigs all over

1 Like