The new design is clunky, a waste of space and lacks old features

Have you tried the Keyboard shortcuts @Arline_Kley? Pull up help with ?, there’s some really nice functionality there.

3 Likes

When I was stating that, it was as a comment to the more “touch” orientated design of the forum.

2 Likes

Really don’t see how it’s touch orientated tbh. There’s a lot of hover functionality, keyboard integration etc. It’s responsive, sure. But that doesn’t automatically make it touch-focused.

2 Likes

biggest ‘issue’ with the language forums, is that they still show up in the ‘new’ list.

As I don’t speak the languages, it’d be nice to be able to filter them out of that. Or other forum sections I’m less interested in.

But this is moon on a stick stuff.

3 Likes

I find this is the current pattern across the interwebs, more flash less substance. And of course very little thought given to those of us that do not have access to several mb/gb of bandwidth.

Wheres my “text only” option?

8 Likes

Muting the section should hide it from New as well.

2 Likes

ooo, nice. Thanks.

:heart:

2 Likes

tbh, this is still mostly just text. once you have the JS, it’ll be cached.

So it’s just text, and the images for emoji and people. (and the background.)

2 Likes

Large gaps between buttons, larger buttons, lots of empty space? Yeah, this is touch orientated. If it looks large enough for a finger to wiggle about in, then it is designed for it.

I would also like to see Peoples names and Corps appear underneath their character picture. And for it to be square. Not having that information is annoying

10 Likes

To be honest, the vast majority of websites these days look the same - like quadrated crap. I guess, the advent of modern CMS are to blame.

Personally, I like the overall design of http://forum.eve-ru.com the most, but it must be that I’m just old-school. Everyone will get used to the new design, and in a few weeks everyone will forget that the old forums ever existed.

Many thanks for finally adding the features that are expected from a modern forum, though. Hopefully, these, as well as the revision of forum rules, will make EVE-O less deader.

:partyparrot:

3 Likes

if course its touch focused. Something touch focused works well on desktop, the same cannot be said for the reverse.

You build sites mobile friendly and scale outwards, not the reverse.

That’s not to say there are not issues, but this will be 100% touch first in its design, get used to it, that is the norm now the world over.

I’d like to see corp/alliance info and the usual user statistics under a profile picture, possibly a larger profile section when on larger resolution displays. Make some use of that space.

I would also like better grouping of forums like the old system had, if anything, having the occasional separation every few tops just breaks things up nicely for the eye.

As mentioned, removing language specific forums from new when you mute them.

2 Likes

I’ve just muted all the language forums (as I’m useless with them anyway.)

You have to mute the subcategories individually too, which is a bit of a pain, but it’s a one off pain per forum account. (and you could probably cheat something up to do it. I’m going to look at that)

4 Likes

Ah good find @Steve_Ronuken ! Ever the hero of EvE! <3

2 Likes

It looks godawful on a 24" screen @Bum_Shadow.
A touch interface should be for a mobile (I.E tablet) based device. It should not be the default for a normal desktop PC interface.

4 Likes

Looks good, nice easy read. +1

I like the fact replies are directly related to corresponding post. +1

I would like to see the corp and alliance names mentioned under the posters name please.

3 Likes

I built a small script that changes the forums to a fullscreen view mode.

You can find it here.

3 Likes

@Arline_Kley
I’m on 28" 4K displays. I’d like to see better separation/spacing of topics and some extra info on larger displays but it’s not that awful. In web design you build for the smallest first, so your mobile and work outwards. Most people are using mobile touch screens now and that number grows daily. Making multiple versions for each device is generally considered mental and not done when you can make something that works for all devices and scales out nicely as well as provides a familiar and consistent design regardless of how you access it.

after a few weeks you’ll struggle to remember the old forums.

3 Likes

one thing i noticed is, i cant click on the dev icon and have it navigate to next dev response. thats kinda a thing.

also: agree with wasted whitespace. I know the whole facebook feed is a cool thing to have, but when you have large 2k+ monitors, i am seeing literally 66% of space wasted. space backgrounds are cool and all, but we get plenty of those in game.

2 Likes

Circles are purposefully used to foster community harmony. With no squares, there can be no edgelords. Twitter recently learned this lesson with its UI update.

3 Likes

Discourse is fabulous software. Thanks for the changes :slight_smile:

3 Likes