The new design is clunky, a waste of space and lacks old features

So the actual posting area is a mere 800x850 pixels. Old forums are 910x865. (going by screenshots in photoshop)

I’m running 1920x1200 screen res. That means I have 1120 x 350 pixels of utterly dead space on the new forums. That is a waste of screen space. Easy thing to fix would be to ditch that post tracker and change that space into post space. Nice wide posts means more words per line, less wall of text.

If you can’t get rid of that CCP (or if Discourse refuse to), ditch this forum software, and try something else. That post tracker also implies a lack of pages, which on their demo page has a single thread of 1000 posts: A lack of pages means “feth this” to looking at threads, because you don’t have a choice other than the, frankly godawful, post tracker to actually break down the content that you are seeing. Pages on forums exist for a reason; Imagine George R.R. Martin releasing the next Game of Thrones novel on a single scroll. Most people wouldn’t bother reading it, because its literally a wall of text.

Pages are there to break up content in a manageable way, that allows the user to not so much control the post reading, but allows them to view the posts that they want to actually read far more quickly.

I’m not sold on this forum, or the software that its based on CCP Falcon. And I’m hoping that you haven’t just bought several months subscription of this software when you don’t know if it will actually be a benefit.

And for once? I’m actually am bitter.

4 Likes

Actually quite liking the new design, old one was looking tired and a bit tatty - least this looks like it was created in the 21st century, its also so much better on a mobile device.

Discobot approves :thumbsupparrot:

2 Likes
2 Likes

I tried that earlier Steve - it just makes it worse tbh.

2 Likes

Worse as it was too wide? Because you can always adjust the numbers to make it not as wide.

2 Likes

Yeah, I figured that out, but I have to do it every time the forum loads (or use that script). I’d rather not have the hassle of having to fight around it.

2 Likes

That’s what something like stylish or greasemonkey are good for. you set it to auto apply. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You miss my point Steve: It needs to be in the forum itself not via a 3rd party.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if it helps Caleb but there is a drop down menu far right on the category where you can mute all new posts in that sub category entirely.

2 Likes

I tried this myself. You have to mute everything you don’t want showing up and the stuff you don’t get still shows up as “new” posts even if you aren’t directly mentioned.

2 Likes

Just because everyone else is jumping of the bridge it might not be prudent to follow them. This is eve not hello kitty online. If you can’t handle high information density then what are you doing here? These forums are definitely way too empty. The font is large and amount of empty space is just insane. Sure adapt to phones and other inferior devices but I expect it still to provide proper experience on EVE gear (large high res screens with powerful desktops backing them up). :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I agree, reading and posting in threads is pretty bad aswell, especially that “timeline” thingy.

3 Likes

I don’t agree that a wider post-area would make a posting easier to read. In fact I think it makes it more difficult when you reach the end of the line and move on to the next one. You easily loose track where you where when the page is too wide.

But I agree on the scrolling-part. Pages would be a good thing to have. Maybe after a fix number like 50 postings. It would divide - just like the width of a post - the information in smaller bits that can be easier processed.

2 Likes

This is a modern world where space is liberated… Git Gewd Grandad! :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Biggest issue is that the new forums waste a lot of vertical space. It requires more scrolling and disables peoples ability to quickly scan.

3 Likes

CCP’s version of New Coke. Well, guess all the kids will think it’s great…

2 Likes

then how about you make USE of todays monitors … everybody uses 16:9 or 16:10 or something even bigger - and you use less space than a 4:3 would offer…

I agree with the first poster … the timeline is useless - and I would opt for absolute date-time when a post was made, not how long ago … takes off server load and doesnt need to be computed new every x minutes

additional cents …:

• the new forum is a programming failure … 3 waterfox crashes in less than 10 minutes testing - everytime using the mousewheel to scroll down - a completly normal way to navigate
  • the site-navigation is terrible …:
  1. I only see the thread I’m posting in, not which category / subcategory
  2. navigation in categories is terrible … why the heck do I need to click the option-button and go back to the MAIN category every time … ? the old method of presenting a hierarchical link to click was waaay easier because it was easy to access - instead of hiding the navigation behind a button
  3. colour-selection is questionable … why not stick to the eve-look and feel with yellowish colours we had before ?
  4. why do I have a 1920x1080 screen, when my editing area for this post is 710x 164 ? reminds me on my C64 which had a screen height of 200 pixels ^^
  5. please get rid of that stupid “rules” for posting … they claim SPACE which could be useful for the edit-area
5 Likes

It would be EVE-time of course. I also rather had that than “x hours ago”.

5 Likes

Sorry, wasn’t aware that humans had devloved that far in such a short time span. I’ll try to use simple words in the future and not too many of them at once to not confuse you :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Concerning your second point:
Isn’t that a hierarchical link?
You get (e.g.) “General Discussion / Out Of Pod Experience / What are you eating?” And if you click the E you go back to main.

The color theme is not bad, I think, but to be albe to adjust this via user settings would be cool.

I discovered this late, but you can actually hide the rules and it will be used for a perview of your post. Also you can drag up the height up of the editing window.
And if you click on “<< hide perview” you get doubled size of editing space. Just discovered that myself.

2 Likes