The new design is clunky, a waste of space and lacks old features

Hey Falcon,

I feel like changing the colour of the side bar may help as well. If you group certain sections by colour that should make things a little easier to separate.

2 Likes

This might be an improvement over the old forums but to make it usable I need to stay zoomed out to like 67% otherwise stuff is just taking way to much space and make it unreadable / usable since you have no overview off it. Especially on the frontpage it is confusing. So yeah overall I think there is just way to much margins, padding and what not taking unnecessary space.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-cl1LOhfUEYNlJxYTZNR0R5aWc/view?usp=drivesdk

2 Likes

I feel like the index page is a bit cluttered, and messy.
But i like the new colours, the text and font, They are all great.

With the old forums, i knew where to look to read or post about a certain topic, now i have no clue.

1 Like

I fully agree, when I first came to have a look my eyes found the forums difficult to read and sort out visually, because they are just too clunky and blocky, maybe it’s just the font being used, but that’s doubtful.

All in all, compared to the old ones…rubbish and a poor effort, D minus.

1 Like

I kinda like the new forum.
The layout is interesting and new :smiley:

1 Like

I like the new forum tbh, but there’s some changes that could make it even better

1 Like

Oh yeah, this new streamlined and mobile friendly forum that’s still in beta is so horrible! Are you serious? This is probably the best thing that CCP had come out with all year. Lol. When the final product comes out, with good user feedback, it will be amazing.

1 Like

That why we are saying its “horrible”. There is a lot of work to do to fix this forum up. I hope that they don’t roll it out in the next few weeks with the state that it is in…

1 Like

To me, the “Summarize this Topic” button alone is worth pushing forward as fast as possible, considering the sort of threadnaughts the EVE-O forums typically generate.

1 Like

I dont know about you - but I use a 16:9 Screen with 1920x1080 resolution - not the other way around … and I dont like the fact that … about 40% of my horizontal space goes to “nothing” but an ugly black white blueish space-view - instead getting used to display valuable info … another felt “third” of the remaining part … that is 20% of my entire horizontal space … goes to this timeline history - navigation thingy … while my BROWSER HAS a scrollbar … that works the same …
but because only the remaining 40% are used for info … there is only space for 1 … maybe 2 messages … and those messages have too big font …and are missing vital information … who is that guy posting … i only see a name and a picture … where is the info, what corporation / alliance he is from ? Info that helps me “place” a value on the things he writes ? or are you saying its intuitive to click on something to display that needed info for what ? a short time … and then hide it again … or this navigation method where vital nagivation targets are hidden in a button toggled frame

btw … why the heck is this “link” “edit” “more” “Reply” thing BIGGER than my image and my character name ? missed proportions ?

I could go on for hours… maybe I’m old and hang too much on the old forum … but I miss certain parts.
Hope ccp is going to put more work into it … before going final with this new forum

4 Likes

Generally, it’s best to avoid having lines of text get too wide, it becomes very hard to read. It’s a shame that all the space goes to waste completely unused, but just scaling up the width of the posts probably isn’t the way to go.

1 Like

correct @Catherine - the font is already too big … I sit at a laptop - not 5 meters from my screen… I could read it probably even if my screen was that far back ^^

1 Like

you think a 24 inch screen is bad come on to a 21:9 screen at 29 inches. There is a LOT of spare space but then again mobile first is a much better standpoint, We did that from the ground up on Total-eve and was great from the start

1 Like

Can you please please please bring back the old link encapsulation (best security feature of old forums) - which not only helps with navigation (you are going to leave the forums … are you sure …bla - OK) … but also helps and forces links to open a new browser-tab…

I tend to close browser-tabs that I am done reading … which now closes the new forum …

1 Like

You can request the software to open links in new tabs. It’s in Preferences.

1 Like

so I have to fix basic failures of the software developers at discourse ?
Dont they have a feeling for security ? The old forum had link encapsulation for a GOOD reason and that reason is still valid!

1 Like

v0v. Maybe the devs could make it the default. Sorry you feel your human rights are being infringed by having to click a check box.

3 Likes

It’s generally considered bad practice to set link targets by default, as it is a very subjective thing.

1 Like

I am not sure whether I write a personal mail to arline_kley or a reply in the forums, the ‘intuitive’ design does not tell…

There are more design elements I see but can’t guess the meaning.

I tried the forums at work and noticed all the white space on the screen instead of forum content. Even on the screen shot in the announcement you can see easily that the old forum has more content on screen.

At home, the new forum does not load at all, my security settings preventing it to work obviously.

Now I am using the forum on my mobile phone and - fun fact: there is no waste of screen real-estate here.
The only thing I have to understand now is why would someone use a mobile-optimized forum software for forums about a pc-only game.

2 Likes

I’m just happy it the forums are readable on mobile. That alone makes it worth the move.

2 Likes