Damage Control or No Damage Control

pve
(Leah Crowleymass) #21

Thanks, man. I don’t like to be a person who repeats himself, but it’s such a great piece of advice, I had to share again :slight_smile:

Hopefully my second post in this thread and the info the others have added add a bit more detail to explain why this is true.

3 Likes
(Chainsaw Plankton) #22

yea that’s a good point, Incursions are high burst damage and hit all resists a damage control makes a lot of sense there, the rules are much different from the typical mission/anom.

5 Likes
(DeMichael Crimson) #23

As an explorer traveling all over the place, I usually fit the defensive tank on my ship for Omni Resists. Using a DC mod helps boost those Resistance stats and removes the need to carry different Resistance mods with me, thus I don’t have to do a lot of refitting and also have more cargo-hold room for loot.

5 Likes
(dewk) #24

Always fit damage control unless you have a specific fit that doesnt require it.

First reason: add resist to all resistances(shield, armour and hull)
Second reason (and the biggest reason): doesn’t and isnt effect to/by stacking penalty.

Note the only module that effects damage control bonus is reactive armour modules, and same in reverse.

Tanking with resist is an art, i personally try to avoid using more than 2 modules of the same resist bonus type, and tend to look for weak points to fix when setting up a tank fit.

2 Likes
(Jagati Khan81) #25

For pve I generally don’t bother with one would rather have an extra damage or tracking mod.
This does depend on the type of pve though.
Level 4’s you should be using mission specific resistance mods anyway dcu is really not needed here.
And if you are worried your tank isn’t up to scratch kill the scrammers first and keep aligned.
You shouldn’t be relying on armour if u shield tank and vice versa in lvl 4’s
If you are running sites in null or low sec I would say fit one as you could get jumped by someone and it can make the difference here.
In pvp situations every second you can buy yourself matters and can mean the difference between loss and victory.
Forgot to mention incursions here they can make a big difference due to the high dps nature of the sites. I have saved many bs’s in Hull and armour that probably would have died otherwise.
Broadcast on time and this shouldn’t be an issue though if logi are awake and on the ball.

Great resource for missions for those that somehow don’t already know it.
https://eve-survival.org/wikka.php?wakka=HomePage

2 Likes
(Terak Romaller) #26

There’s a lot of good advice here, and the temptation to throw in my tuppenny worth is too great.

If this is for mission running - where there is a need to manage significant incoming DPS then you are looking at highest resistance in your chosen defence. Reducing the impact of the incoming damage improves the effectiveness of either the passive recharge, booster or repairer. Mission tanks are normally rely on some for of repair/regeneration rather than just pure buffer.
If you are active armour tanking, then you aren’t worrying about shields and vice versa.
If you’re hull tanking missions then you’ve got bigger questions about your life than “do I fit a DC?”.

So, if you are using a shield tank the the DC has the advantage of being a good shield resistance module that fits in the low power slots.

If you are armour tanking, then the 15% of the DC2 is beaten by many of the armour resistance modules, including passive resists. Noting of course the issues of stacking.
So saying, the Reactive hardener has 15% as it’s base resists, but responds to incoming damage - it’s an active DC2 in many respects - and an active armour tank is already cap dependant.

The general advice is sound though: if you don’t know when to not use it then you should be using it

2 Likes