Damage Control or No Damage Control

I used to fit a DC when I was new. I will fit one now if trying new pve content that I am unsure of and want to overtank. Otherwise I go for more damage.

Just to throw a spanner in the works! (and yes i know certain people will bit)

DC or ADC have added benefits other than hull resist savecard, there is the fact all its benefit resistances don’t effect other modules and thus not included in the stacking penility.
Also a nice bonus for armour Tankers (no matter if passive, active, dual rep, logi, etc, etc…) if the small EM resistance to shield. As anyone with brains knows this is normally the weakpoint gankers and gate campers focus on. So even 13% resist there is better than nothing.

2 Likes

The real question is do you anticipate going into structure? If you’re doing PVE content with no warp disruption are you not going to warp out if you hit structure? If the answer is yes and you can get better resistances using the same or equal slots then I recommend not running one.

I don’t think anyone plans to go into hull. But having that extra resistance is a extra level of survival.

You could have the best fit out there, and all it takes is a little more damage than you expected to push you into hull. And if you fit is good enough that extra resistance could give you the chance to counter that little extra dps you got.

Also remember the ADC and DC resistance bonuses boost all resistances (shield, armour and hull) with no stacking penalties, you add a third or fourth armour or shield resist, you end up close to what the DC offers due to penalties, and don’t gain the extra layers of resistance to the protection layers.

On an armour tank the best you get is 29.9% with energizer type-a, a DC gives @15.4% roughly around the same as a third energizer type-c or a fourth type-a, but it adds 13.4% to all shields, and with no shield modules gaining @14.5% EM means enemy don’t do 100% EM damage on your shields, which gives you more time to kill and a better EHP overall.

1 Like

Lol.

Seriously, learn to fit.

1 Like

I would say no in most cases. Using that low slot for armor tank specific resistance, or if you are shield tanking the few low slots are usally best for damage, or damage application mods.

If you are new to pve and unsure what to expect the extra resistance buffer from damage control can be useful. But you will be sacrificing damage or more specific resistance to fit it.

1 Like

I use DCU a lot and most of the time I see no better choice. I did not know about the stacking penalty with reactive but I don’t use reactive much.

Anyway, can you please explain me what should I fit instead of DCU if I have two EANMs already? I do fit for pvp not pve so I need omni since I don’t know what type of damage will I encounter. I just don’t see any other option, ADP gives less than DCU, third EANM too, more raw armor will not help me, because if I don’t repair as much as I receive I lose either way, another repairer is not going to work because of cpu/pgu/capacitator requirements.

Are you saying I should be trading ~6% resistances to armor for 1 damage module to drones or guns?

Then you are in the wrong section forum.

1 Like

But your posts sounds as if you are speaking globally so I was confused.

1 Like

It’s not, because buffer tanking is a thing in PVP, not in PVE.

Course it’s not, no one doing pve has ever fit a buffer tank before, lol!

Cypr3ss.

Anyway, if I have a fit of Reactive Hardener, 2x EANM II, and DCU II, would I be better replacing DCU with third EANM due to stacking penalty with reactive? Game fittin window won’t give me answer for that.

Note: don’t suggest me to use hardeners, the fit needs to be omni this is not for pve.

You’d maybe be better off asking that question in the PvP section than a mainly PvE focused thread. But by the time you’ve got three slots locked into resists you usually are better off slotting in bulk or repair module(s) behind that.

The other question you should be asking is expected TTK because the reactive won’t be better than the DCU until at least a couple cycles into the fight when the resists have shifted over. Also neut pressure if you expect any the reactive is an extra drain that can reset if it gets shut off.

Use hardeners. This section is for PVE.

4 Likes

Funny thing is in Wormholes you need omni to handle Drifters and Sleepers. PVE content.

Hardners are nice, but limit cap and fitting options. Plus if you loose cap you loose your resistance,same for Reactive Armour.
A DC with a single Reactive Armour and nano membranes can do the job of Hardners and even provide more resources for other none tank related modules, ideal for Nestor Spider Wormhole fleets.

The stacking penalty of reactive and DC could still be better than a third ENAB, as its a single penalty vs a second penalty, and depending on you resistance refile a third ENAB only adds a small amount, when a focus armour resistance module could fix a weak hole.
As to which of the DC or RA gets the penalty i can’t remember.

Now if you know what your facing then omni isn’t a major requirement, as you focus on 2 resistances to buff. This is comment in Highsec.

Put it this way there are 100’s of depends, 100’s of possible fit, and just as many recommendations and view of how you should tank.

But in the end its what you find that works best for you, not for someone else, as every player plays/fights differently. Its not a simple one design fits all.
I have fits that other can’t fly, not because they don’t have the skill levels, but more they don’t fly the way i do, i have battlecruisers running command bursts that pull argo off Tanked Rattlesnakes. And yes the Snakes have better EHP, and the BC does do as good DPS, but the BC armour resistances tanks better and designed for my playstyle of tanking.
And the same is true of fits i have from m8’s, what works for them doesn’t for me.

So take what advise you get and play with it till you find the best fit for you and not another.

5 Likes

the modules are not penalized. The effects are.

If i remember correctly the penalty on the A/DC with Reative Armour only effects the armour resistances with the lowest resistance at the time.

@Anderson_Geten you remember if that was correct, or does it effect all armour resistances of the lesser resistance bonus module?

Remember this would mean the only happen when the Reactive Armour is active. And most Faction, officer and T2 version of DC has equal resistance or better than the RA when its first started, and will maintain this for 1-3 resistances. And the RA will adjust its bonus overtime from 15% bonus to all four resistances to a maximum of 60% to one resistance or and combination of resistances equal to a max of 60%/# of resistances.

This is not correct.
DCU and RAH both provide the 4 same effects, one for each damage type.
So let’s say explosive, there are two ArmorExplosiveDamageResonance effects that are applied (after transformation to a resistance ?). So the lowest resistance of the two is reduced.
Strange because there is no penality flag on those attributes, yet the simulation clearly shows that the armor resist is penalized.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.