Dev blog: Upwell 2.0 - Structures Changes Coming On February 13th!

Passive notifications only helps rental empires and those not living in the systems themselves. No to notifications. Just learn to undock and patrol you territories.

1 Like

Fortizars are op as ■■■■ in wh space anyways. Just fuel ya ■■■■ lol.

Unless something major changed, a fortizar cant scratch any fleet containing 3 guardians. Much less powerful than a pos.

2 Likes

Oh? you think we should have a person in every system we have a moon miner? Every system we have a midpoint citadel? At every hour of the day? Most corps are timezone specific, that’s why alliances have corps from different timezones. If the corp that owns the structure is USTZ, and some guy shows up in a solo oracle to shoot it in EUTZ, how is anybody going to know?

Do structures only give notifications at corp level or something? I don’t actually have to deal with those, apologies for my ignorance.

Corp API keys should let you get the notifications out of game.

And @Gris_X there’s no way anyone wants to go check their aths every day when they only mine on them once a week. Citadels/EC I could understand saying “just live in it!” but aths aren’t going to be.

Notifications go to the appropriate role-holders within the Corp – “Report: <Structure_Name> in <System_Name> is under attack” or similar. I think the roles are the ones with “Starbase” in the name (Defence, Fuel and Config), but may well be wrong.

Devs,

If you’re going to link from the Reminder to the Dev Blog, can you please update the Blog – e.g. remove the GTFO and strike the 5 minute fitting timer from the flow chart?

TIA…

1 Like

CCP, can you please maybe spend 30 seconds and show some consideration for your customers by replying to this ?

2 Likes

If we want citadels to be force multipliers then they need to be EWAR Monsters at least. I do not know all the ewar fittings for a citadel but I’ve been looking at the athanor in particular and 3 highs and 3 mids really doesn’t let it do much ewar. Maybe give structures more mids for ecm? POS were dangerous because they could have all ewar fitted with some dps. I feel a structure should be able to easily effectively neutralize any single ship with its ewar but should have a hard time killing anything without a fleet defending it.

1 Like

I can give one reply.
Because on a POS you could simply engage the tackle module in order to break free, you didn’t have to kill the POS itself. On a Citadel you have to kill the Citadel itself.

And right there is a fundamental flaw in the design of all new structures.

If they are really meant to be “force multipliers” they should start out as OP as fuk - but like anything else in eve there needs to be reasonable counters to them (aside from Devs nerfing capabilities).
They should have turret and module hard-points that can be targeted, Ewar and other DPS mods can be offlined by applying DPS to hard points - EXACTLY the same way a dickstar was/is engaged. They also need a builtin ability to repair damage mods and ewar at a cost in fuel or nanite paste or something like - Upwell repair fighters that can be launched and will automatically target and attempt to repair any damaged mods attached to the structure.

2 Likes

Except it made engaging POS trivial for the most part because it was so easy to shut down the modules.
And made space a total mess of brackets.

Either direction is a bad choice for some reason.

It was/is never trivial for an small groups of trollers - Which is exactly what we are heading for with the upwell changes.
As for the issue with brackets - Structure hard points would add 2 brackets and more targets.

A keepstar post Feb 13 will be capable of having double the armour it currently has AND it seems damage caps are staying in place. So engaging the second timer on a keepstar will require even larger fleets and at least double the time currently required.
The additional 15 minutes on the reinforcement timer is mute if you have double the HP to destroy. At least give attackers something via being able to defang such a massively powerful structure. Even a Fort will become a larger challenge (at least double what it is now) if fit with defensive modules.

1 Like

No it isn’t. The timer only ticks down if you aren’t doing damage. It will not change the challenge involved at all. Also it’s only on the hull timer anyway.
More HP just means a longer time grinding the tower, it doesn’t add any more challenge since the citadels only put out the same DPS, or in fact might put out less than they otherwise might if they used the slots for other modules.
If the defenders can form a fleet to contest you, an extra 15 minutes is not going to make a difference in 99.99999999% of cases when they’ve already had 24+ hours to sort it.

There is nothing in the change in HP that does anything to change fleet size, since you are still damage capped. A larger fleet is pointless unless it’s about fighting the defenders, in which case you would have the larger fleet anyway.

So you can’t see a difference between having to hold a grid for a minimum of 30 minutes compared to 60? More if it is defended. One would imagine, that if CCP can’t sort out current issues with TIDI and a reasonable sized fight breaks out, having more HP to grind through is going to require more people in fleet as attrition takes its toll.

The difference between hitting damage cap for twice as long IS a challenge - Once a structure is defended, the issue is compounded by TIDI. The end result will be Tuesdays debacle in 9-4RP2 becomes more and more common.
The fix for ensuring you never lose a structure will be to load the system up with as many defenders as you can muster and let the server win the contest for you.

Not sure what you mean by engaging the tackle module at a pos. You cant escape a POS if you are in a single ship and targeted by 2 warp disruptors - and, usually, 10 to 15 scramblers and guns.

Right now there is no way for a citadel to catch one ship; if that ship is moving with more than 500m/s, it will escape any 10km AOE bubble because it can see it 20 seconds in advance. There is also no way to destroy a battleship, as that battleship will be able to warp away long before its shield/armor is gone. Basically, CCP is replacing POSes with something that has less shield ( POSes could have 50 mil HP + resists up to 62% compared to citadels where only keepstar has more ehp ) and little to none offensive capabilities.

3 Likes

Does it really matter? You will wake up in the middle of a night? Or break your week day? Or … ?

1 Like

“Force multiplier” implies that at first you have to have some “force”.
This means citadel should not be “force” by itself but should “multiply” the force you initially put onto field.

That’s why i’m opposed to any ideas of making citadels be able to solo kill fleets and such.
EWAR? Ok.
Logi? Might be Ok.
Whatever else? Might be Ok.

And the reason for such limitations to warp disruption: it only serves to hold the target long enough to engage by defenders. Say, to prepare next primary to be engaged by pointing it, neutralizing and webbing.

Let’s say one corp can field 3 battleships to defend a fortizar. The “force”, therefor, is not zero. The fortizar still cant point, web or scram anything for more than 30 seconds or if moving faster than 500m/s. What would be the multiplier in this case ? Will those 3 battleships be able to defend against, lets say, 2 machariels firing from 150km ?

"That’s why i’m opposed to any ideas of making citadels be able to solo kill fleets and such."
The citadels have been released to replace POSes. A POS can solo kill, and even defend itself when youre not available to man the guns.

1 Like

The alliance he’s in most likely has other players in other corps, that would rally to the defense, if they knew about the attack. It’s a sensible request IMO. We have new tools: access control lists that exist outside of corp/alliance structures; that UI could be extended to notify defense controllers about “important events.”

I don’t have an answer… Perma-scram was too strong, but 60 second cool down? Even 5 seconds would have enabled an aligned and attentive pilot to escape, to either return or regret warping to the wrong place. The nerfs come from several directions at once: the cap cost (encouraging a look at new capacitor-enhancing modules) on burst projectors is high. (I don’t see a new rig to help reduce burst projector cap use.)

CCP has a tough balancing act, between the interests of large groups that always have a fleet running, who may say a temporary point is just fine, and small operators with few resources.

2 Likes