Fanfest 2022 - Skill Training/Attributes removal

Lol out of all things in eve you find the attributes complex?

That has a good chance of happening as well.

Well, I admit I find myself in this situation, I came to realize that the biggest excitement I get from EVE is learning skills, knowing I could fly more stuff (regardless if I do or not) and pretty much acting as a collector.
Implants are of course a big part of it, I am always in my +5 learning clone with an Cerebral Accelerator running, this however has a huge drawback: Iā€™m not doing anything else in the game.

Because I want to train fast I want to minimize my time without implants, but at the same time I donā€™t want to lose them as they are expensive, the solution to that is complete risk aversion. PvP is absolutely out of the question and while running incursions I regret having to use +4 implants only.

I am probably not alone in this, and in the end having players like that doesnā€™t help the game as a whole, we have to recognize that players logging in to watch the skill tree, doing the daily skilling spree because even 2500SP ā– ā– ā– ā–  yeah, and then spinning the ship in station is not something that helps with player retention.
On the other hand I love how the Cerebral Accelerator works, it is a consumable but by persisting through death it doesnā€™t conflict with risky activities

I figured that my time online doing dangerous things is insignificant compared to the time Iā€™m offline or online doing safe things.

So any time Iā€™m going on a fleet or doing something that might involve pod death, I just swap out of my training clone.

Some numbers:

Letā€™s say Iā€™m playing two hours a day (which is rather high for me now, but Iā€™ve had days with more EVE time) and spend about half of that doing dangerous things: 60 minutes a day, or 1/24th of my total daily training time.

Next, with +5s and optimal remap youā€™re training 45 SP/min. Without implants with same remap youā€™re training at 37.5 SP/min.

So, Iā€™m training at ā€˜onlyā€™ (1/24 x 37.5 + 23/24 x 45)/45 = 99.3% of my maximum capacity by swapping out of my training implants when Iā€™m about to do dangerous stuff, rather than 100% when I just stay docked and do no dangerous stuff at all because of potentially lost SP.

@Lodemai are you really staying docked and avoiding dangerous stuff for 0.7% more daily SP?

Personally, I donā€™t think thatā€™s worth it.

1 Like

Yes I do that too, but I feel like Iā€™m limiting my activities much more I should to enjoy the game, the fear of missing out enjoyable parts of the game fights with the fear of missing out on progression, but in a way that it is not an interesting choice

Your numbers are based on 50% of 2 hours a day. In my case it could be up to 100% of 6 hours a day.
Now, to be fair I donā€™t just stay docked, but still try to avert as much as possible riskier situations in a way that blocks me from experiencing all parts of the game, because those little more SP are just so much more important than trying out solo pvp (or whatever else)

Also, to sum it up, numbers always tell the truth, but people seldomly make their choices on numbers but rather on their irrational feelings. My feeling about training implants is that they pigeon-hole me (and possibly other players) in a conservative playstyle that doesnā€™t benefit the community as a whole

Unfortunately (from this viewpoint) I donā€™t see them removing the training implants.
I expect what they will do is convert them to a flat SP/hour gain.
I think it might be better if they were replaced with non-SP implants, but I canā€™t see them doing it.

I use +4 with effects in H-sec.
Pvp requires a different implant set for me so I switch to a clone with more ā€œsuitableā€ implants.

Iā€™m not convinced for the need of risk aversion.

Regards,

1 Like

You misunderstood the video and the plan. Skill points will still passively accumulate in the same way, you just get to choose which skills they go into after the fact, rather than before. Instead of queing up specific skills that your daily skill gains go into, you get the daily skill gains first, then decide where to put them.

1 Like

Exactly, that also removes the jarring (for newbies) difference between SP over time through training but applied during that training, and unallocated SP (from whatever source). The latter is actually easy to explain than the former.

In daily gameplay it changes absolutely nothing for older players BUT it allows newbies TIME to learn more about what they want to spend their SP on other than ā€œjust train something right now, anything, even though I donā€™t know whatā€.

(It also makes skill injectors easier to digest, surely just an unintended side effect).

1 Like

What will happen to implants? Will we get anything for our clones containing plugged in valuable(isk) implants with the removal?

1 Like

I agree, if itā€™s removed, Iā€™m done.

Itā€™s a bad idea, we should have prerequisite. Ie train skills for stuff to be able to train skills to get in the ship we want. Like taking English 101 before 102. Your talking about making it so we can just elect to skip 101 and take 102. This is bad for the game, training should be long and hard. This is the game. I see 18byr vets still training skills thatā€™s awesome! Iā€™m not in to this change and Iā€™d deff quit if it was changed. More would, then wouldnā€™t, Iā€™d say it kill eve.

2 Likes

Didnā€™t bother reading the entire thread, just basically browsed through it rather quickly after reading the OP, which I totally agree with 100%ā€¦

I must say that while watching that video I kept thinking to myself :
ā€˜Where in the hell does CCP find these -censored- people?ā€™

I mean come on man, itā€™s bad enough theyā€™ve been milking the playerbase to death, now they wanna homogenize all the characters to be exactly the same by removing skill queue training and character attributes along with the bonus attribute points on implants? WTF are they smoking?

Seriously, they gotta be pretty dense if they think every player will log in each day to collect log-in SPā€™s and daily SP tasks in order to advance their character. Also CCP is sadly mistaken if they think players will spend more $$$ for SPā€™s on top of a sub just to play this game.

This game will definitely be dead and buried in no time if they actually implement those hairbrained ideas presented in that video segment. For a long time people have said that Goons will be the death of Eve. Itā€™s all the morons at CCP who will be the death of Eveā€¦

1 Like

go play starscape if you donā€™t want skills it needs more players :frowning:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.