[Split Topic] - Ganking

I understand your point here, but at the same time, I’ve never understood why people who actually want to PvP stay in highsec.

CCP all but murdered piracy and war privateering for profit.

The rise in HS ganking was logical after this.

When I was a new player, I went to lowsec. It was empty. There was NOBODY there. System after system, I was the only person in local. I went into a wormhole, ready for anything, but endless boredom. Hole after hole, nobody there. Eventually I landed back in Highsec. That’s why. It’s the only place I know where people are undocking.

Maybe there is some PvP utopia in nullsec, but I’ve never seen it.

3 Likes

I certainly didn’t get 10k+ kills in highsec, after all.

I did.

3 Likes

Brisc I appreciate you’re one of the only CSMs that regularly engages in the forum.

But protection of freedom (anywhere, in a video game sandbox, etc) doesn’t require understanding of player motivations.

Why is there a guy in Futzchag who has single-handedly declared it his system, declared it a NRDS system, and people like me an enemy to all? I don’t know, but he has the freedom to play that way, and I don’t want to tread on it.

Why was there a guy in Hek who was known locally as “the scourge” for being a -10 criminal, who basically only played there? I don’t know, but he had the freedom to play that way, and I don’t want to tread on it.

Why do lowsec gangs like Snuff decide to be feudal lords over many lowsec systems? I don’t know, but they have the freedom to play that way, and I don’t want to tread on it.

Why is Eve’s history littered with people trying to use wardecs, ganking, etc to declare themselves “kings” of high sec systems? Like MMM in Abudban? I don’t know, but they have the freedom to play that way, and I don’t want to tread on it.

“Not treading on it” doesn’t mean I don’t shoot them in PvP — on the contrary, shooting them would be fun — it just means I don’t want to ask CCP to start restricting game mechanics that get rid of these playstyles entirely.

As soon as there’s a checklist for “must have these understandable motivations to play” like the atrocious CCP blogpost on “ganking & griefing” the sandbox is truly dead.

3 Likes

Stop like my post you bad pirate princess, some people believe it means I am a ganker alt.

:shushing_face:

I’m genuinely flabbergasted that people consider blapping a bunch of ships in a TiDi fleet engagement with 100+ involved parties on the kill reports as “getting kills.”

4 Likes

There are 9 levels of Aiko alt, which are you?

1. Seductive Sinner
  2. Aristocratic Romantic
  3. Castle Dwelling Drama Queen
  4. Nocturnal Party Animal
  5. Nightmare-Inducing Monster
  6. Weapon-Wielding Goth
  7. Emotionally Unavaiulable Hunks
  8. High School Heart Throb
  9. Homicidal Axe Wielding Maniac
2 Likes

It’s good to know that the CSM can’t override the wishes of the community. The reason there’s “so much constant whining” is that the community doesn’t want ganking continuing to ruin the game.

Well, you haven’t stopped any ganks.

:tipping_hand_woman:

I didn’t say it did.

God forbid I express my personal views on a subject.

No, it’s because a handful of people whine on the forums, and the use the volume of the whining as a substitute for the size of the sentiment. It’s the old “the squeaky wheel gets the grease” thing, EVE style.

I doubt sincerely that if you polled the community that you’d have a majority of EVE players declare that highsec should be a no-PVP zone.

6 Likes

I’m genuinely flabbergasted that people consider blapping a bunch of shuttles on the Jita undock as “getting kills,” too.

Removing ganking doesn’t make highsec a no-PvP zone. I’m sure any poll would show that most people don’t care one way or the other, but from the people that do have an opinion I have no doubt that the number that oppose ganking far outweighs those who support it.

That’s because the universe of gankers is far smaller than the universe of potential gankees.

But given that ganking has been part of the game for 20 years, I don’t think it was a good idea to get rid of it, but CCP did that anyway. I’m not a fan of gutting extremely old playstyles unless there’s solid evidence that they’re having a severe detrimental impact on the game. I don’t think that was proven here. It was just noise.

5 Likes

That one.

1 Like

Well that’s the problem isn’t it? There’s a small group of people able to relatively easily disrupt the gameplay of a much larger group of people and the result is some of that large group of people leaving. Bulk wars had the same problem. I don’t think it helps that gankers quite publicly tell people to quit EVE.

A lot of things have changed over 20 years, I don’t know why ganking would be exempt.

I don’t believe that a large group of people left because of ganking.

5 Likes

I said “some of”. There’s no doubt that some people leave because of ganking. In my opinion there’s not enough benefit to the existence of ganking to justify any loss. What’s the benefit? Some people that are bad at PvP can add some numbers to their killboard?

Gankers like to point out that ganking is easy to avoid if you just do small things too, so that’s an admission that the people most affected by gankers are people with limited knowledge of the game. I don’t see how they can have thousands of kills aimed at people with limited knowledge of the game and not have a negative impact on new player retention.