Why people play

I play to have a space adventure with other ppl. Far better than watching some Scifi movies :slight_smile:

I’m mostly solo PVE player who’s into economy. For me EVE is better, more alive version of X-franchise.

Space sim.

I know PVP is crucial for economy but IMO silent majority seems to prefer more casual gaming style and are more into PVE, thats why devs should focus on this.

If they’re silent how would you know ?

1 Like

just my observation

Maybe they’re really good at using non-verbal cues to convey what they want, like a stereotypical, middle-aged, white corporate executive at an Asian “massage” parlor.

But one thing is certain: if CCP provides the gentle touch they’re so subtly seeking, EVE Online is not going to get its happy ending.

You dont classify them as silent minority or majority.

Its simple, majority or minority.

The way you can find out is not really by listening to anyone, but watching statistics.

1 Like

Most players stick in high-sec and thats a fact.

1 Like

Nah.

It’s true that the majority of characters stay in highsec, but players have many characters and only a sizeable minority of players never venture outside of highsec.

But haven’t the developers spent most of the last 5-7 years focusing on “casual” gameplay and PvE? Pretty much every new feature until very recently has been largely PvE-focused, and “casual” in that it is low commitment.

And yet that didn’t make the game more active. It just produce a stagnating game with a broken economy and one which had a near terminal case of boredom. Only recently have things turned around now that CCP is getting back to basics, and although they aren’t out of the woods yet, focusing on the core ideas of Eve seems to have reversed the decline and the game is getting more active again.

But to your point, it’s not the lack-lustre PvE that brings most players to the game who play solo and stay mostly in highsec. Like you, they come and stay for the near-unique economic simulation and the feeling that you are a meaningful part of the shared universe. The devs need to focus on this - making a healthy economy with sufficient destruction-based demand - which thankfully they are taking more seriously now.

4 Likes

People know the graphs were stating majority stays is in high sec at any given moment.

Like me, I spend most of my time in high sec, but I also have been many times in low sec, because I am Omega and can feel relatively safe there.

The covid happened tho. You can see that on the charts. It was covid recently.

And the way these invasions work, will make freedom of movement in high sec compromised, and with it, and the covid gradually becoming a thing of the past, CCP may once again have to alter the deal that will not look good to them.

2 Likes

I actually disagree with this. From my experience, I’d say that over half of the high-sec population has never intentionally stepped foot out of it. And I’m not talking characters here, but players.

Lots of old-school vets are arguing for EVE out of this deeply-rooted, romantic commitment to their notion of what EVE is, when in reality it’s just a projection of what they think EVE should be like. The sad truth is that an outsize chunk of the player base wants nothing more to do with the game than to be left alone to farm ore, missions, and anomalies in peace.

That’s the demographic. It’s not the target demographic, but it doesn’t care. CCP has to sell the game to those people, as you’re nothing but a minority at this point; a relic of a foregone era. This is what contemporary gaming is. People need to wake the ■■■■ up and realize that there’s not going to be some kind of mutually-agreeable compromise; it’s you versus them. And if it’s them, then this genre dies with you, because there’s no other EVE to fall back to.

Even now, as I type this, the top thread in one of my favorite survival games is someone insulting the game’s devs and players for not having a PvP toggle, while they’re desperately trying to calm down and placate him by reminding him that “PvE servers are coming soon.”

2 Likes

Meanwhile in EVE “The PvE area is closing soon”.

At least with every final loon system.

CCP was always a different kind of people.

1 Like

No, CCP is able to comprehend simple data analysis, and understands that the game can’t function without a working economy.

Do you think that the Trigs would’ve ever happened if destruction didn’t drop so much, and inflation never hit such critical levels? No way.

They had to create an NPC force to take over for a job that players did for over a decade until they made doing that job almost impossible, but this isn’t something they can openly admit without enraging most of EVE’s players (from both camps).

3 Likes

The economy was doing fine, what CCP didnt like, it was doing so good without selling more PLEX.

If people will have to move from high sec, Forge specifically (hallo, why caldari NPC so weak?) then people for buying anything with ISK will have to move to Places like Null. But before that they may feel inconvenienced enough to spend more on PLEX.

It is really like sacrificing one cow from two to have hamburgers for short time instead of cheese for longer.

Serenity doesnt really care about that. Only on Tranquility society is so divided that it can dance how CCP wants. How Trigs want. Divide and conquer.

1 Like

PLEX sales amount to a direct supply/demand economic relationship.

CCP can nerf PvE income generation, but wealth is relative, and PLEX prices ultimately represent a certain amount of in-game effort, as opposed to some arbitrary monetary value. That is to say, if PLEX was equivalent to, say, 25 hours of average income generation before any changes, it will likely represent that many hours of average income generation after the changes as well, after the dust settles.

The only people saying that CCP nerfs PvE in order to sell more more PLEX are those who don’t understand the very basics of economics. What’s going to happen after players rush to sell PLEX if CCP does something like that? PLEX prices are going to fall. And what will happen if PLEX prices fall? Less people are going to buy PLEX from CCP.

I guess it’s possible for them to perform a short-term manipulation if they need to meet a quarterly projection, at the expense of shooting themselves in the foot in the long run.

That means people will need more of PLEX to finance their activities by selling it. Null will have ISK like they always had. High sec is starter area so people starting know less about whats PLEX really worth actually, so why they wouldnt buy more? Especially when they cant earn so much ISK as before there.

Meanwhile CCP doesnt change the price in $, can only make it more expensive like they did for Russians.

So if people will need more PLEX, CCP will sell more. CCP creates demand for more PLEX right now.

2 Likes

I’d agree with that.

However, looking at the data CCP Quant was sharing back in the day, I estimated that those players only make up 30-40% of the player base. So yes, given that they are all in highsec, they make up well over half of highsec players, but unlike what some carebears like to trot out, they are not the overwhelming majority of all players in the game. There are more people here for the core game of Eve than to play a single-player PvE game.

And even of those 30-40% that never dream of stepping out from behind the skirt of CONCORD protection, maybe only a third to a half of them are “Levelling my Raven” types that are primarily here to progress linearly up the mission system. I think more than half are just solo-minded industry players who very much participate in the competitive economic game, and just prefer their interactions to be economic rather than militaristic. Even if they avoid direct ship PvP all the time, they are very much here to be part of a game with loss where virtual items, and their efforts, have meaning.

If CCP can’t right the tilting economy, then most of the game sinks with it. Very few people actually come and stay playing Eve only for the PvE, even the carebears and safebears in highsec.

1 Like

Which pretty much describes me, except even though I’m based in hisec I often operate in low/jspace and sometimes null. Process & sales are hisec, gathering is most outside of hisec.

As for PvP, personally I find the Eve combat system a bit meh so I don’t actively participate but I’m quite happy to provide myself as a target wherever I go. Otherwise I’d go play something else because only Eve really provides the risk factor that makes the industrial/crafting gameplay really interesting.

2 weeks ago I picked up No Man’s Sky and it’s been a nice vacation but it’s just managing pixels, only Eve really cuts it IMO.

2 Likes

PvE is the basic thing everyone did tho. And is doing even now. In High sec more than anywhere else. Bounties may be much more in null, but the people there are differently filtered.

1 Like

Just like me. Combat system in EVE is… not that great. Its rather weird and feels more like RTS game than MMO. I’m here for economy mostly; industry, mining and trade.

1 Like

The really nice thing about the “silent majority” is that you can invoke them in support of literally anything and they never pipe up to say, “Wait, we don’t actually support that,” because it’s actually a ■■■■■■■■ rhetorical device that liars can drag out when they need to shore up a position that they just cut from whole cloth by also inventing a legion of supporters.

5 Likes