Minmatar weapon tech

Hello,

Some time back I got under impression that minmatar weapons are “sonic” boosted/augmented and I run along with that idea without any complaints until yesterday when I attempted to get any confirmation in game and there is nothing there.

Maybe I just got my games mixed but if anyone got some info or can point out more outside game(book,site) I would be grateful.

1 Like

Minmatar weapons are just standard kinetic projectile weapons. There’s no air in space, so there isn’t any kind of sonic-related function except for the natural vibrations caused when they are fired and when they hit the hull of an enemy ship and transfer kinetic energy through it. The different kinds of augmentations that a minmatar projectile have are as shown in game: different kinds of explosive charges (or lack of).

3 Likes

I never was of thinking that “space air” is conducting any sonic augmentation of projectile but rather inside of turret it self with acoustic resonators that bullet after initial shell explosion pass thru for additional processing…

…much like rail gun magnetic accelerators but not nearly crucial as that tech but rather supplemental as far as i assumed.

I think / remember it as scraped old school lore that is not circulating any more OR completely made up stuff by me,if no one else pitch in confirming or linking some related stuff il just go with in game definitions.

I wonder though, the T2 barrage ammo does mention it is enhanced with a “smart tracking system”, does this mean what I think it means; That the ammo has some capability of adjusting its course once fired? If it referred to the gun itself, it’s an odd place to put such a note.

1 Like

Somehow I imagined that the Minmatar projectile weapons are actually some kind of gyrojets or Bolt rounds (Warhammer 40k stuff), in that they do not rely entirely on just the primary propellant. They have a secondary propellant at the base of the shell to keep the shell accelerating even after they left the barrel. I believe that it’s possible for such shells to hold a secondary propellant because, well, these are really big shells. Should be enough to fit in the nukes or phased plasma or space napalm or something and the secondary propellant at the same time.

This should also help to accommodate the smart tracking system of the barrage shells, since they can self-propel already.

2 Likes

It wouldn’t be out of the bounds of possibility to maybe siphon the gasses from firing the projectile and pump them further up the barrel to give the projectile more push as it exits the weapon

There do exist rocket shells in reality that have some level of propellant once they leave the barrel, but that are primarily fired like bullets.
EVE projectile weapons must use some form of acceleration that isn’t entirely chemically boosted, given the speeds they are able to throw the slugs at in order to hit across 100km in less than 1 second. So ‘projectile’ weapons still have quite a range of options.

It’s why I compared them to Boltgun rounds, like so:

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Boltgun

The rounds use a primary propellant in the casing to launch them out of the barrel. Once out of the barrel, a secondary propellant inside the rounds ignites and further accelerates the rounds towards the target. That’s how the shells manage to hit something 100km away in a second: they just keep on accelerating once they leave the barrel, at least until they ran out or propellant. That will also explain falloff: secondary propellant ran out, stop accelerating, perhaps even losing kinetic energy via waste heat causing the shell to slow down and thus possibly miss or hit for less penetration.

Boltgun rounds also explode, by the way, since they carry explosive charges behind the piercing tip. Replace explosive with nukes or phased plasma or EMP emitters and upsize it you get something like a Minmatar starship projectile weapon.

1 Like

And then there’s me, thinking that Artillery is just a tube, some mechanics putting the ammunition in place and a thick rubber band shooting the projectiles. :frowning:

To be fair, there are several British battlecruisers who would have survived WWI if artillery worked like that. :laughing:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.