Please explain armor tanking - why?

Damage control unit, ancillary armour repairer and hull rigs + some hull modules in the lows. Works surprisingly well on some hulls that already have a nice amount of hull hitpoints, which is common for Gallente ships.

1 Like

Brutix is a no-brainer. hull rigs, DCU, bulkheads (plus 1-2 mag stabs for dps) hecate and federation navy comet can use hull rigs+ small ancillary repper to get some extra buffor and allow for the small repper to get all charges out.
Navy brutix, megathron, dominix (high ehp cheap bait fit), Praxis… probably some more, I don’t remember.
Due to positive stacking you need as many bulkheads (+hull rigs) as possible. Plus a DCU to boost hull resist to 60%.

I did experiment with hull-tanking some industrial/ cov ops ships too. Less ehp than armor plates but no align speed penalty.

All this for solo/ small gang, when there are no logi/ rep/ resist links in fleet. With logi you need to go shield/ armor.

I like this one!

I think Armour is slightly easier to have a bigger absolute buffer due to 1600mm plates. They also tend to have naturally higher resists than shields making them nice for logi fleets. Armour tanks are also good for sig tanking, this is noticable in the abyss where the armour based rigs dont balloon your sig radius like shield rigs. I think the reason the different types to exist is more for to make ships unique and a bit of lore.

In general, armor favors strong buffers, as armor reps themselves are comparatively weak and inefficient. Armor reps are far far too inefficient to oversize. When you scale up armor reps you do so by adding additional repair mods. You only generally need to be cap stable with one rep running as your second rep deals with problem areas (like a soft overheat). Armor loves resists and gets the super OP reactive armor hardener. AARs compensate for this by augmenting the weak repairs with nanite repair paste significantly increasing rep amount while loaded.

Shields are bursty, they have a much smaller buffer but have huge reps. It is extremely common to oversize a shield rep up to two sizes in extreme examples. Shield reps are efficient so by oversizing them you throw more fitting space into getting a giant rep. Shields also have a passive shield regen which matches the rules of capacitor recharge (peak recharge 25-30% with fall off in both directions to hit minimum effectiveness at 0 and 100) Often Shield rep ships will not be cap stable as it is more expected to balance their capacitor with their shield needs in order to run the oversize reps. You would almost never put multiple shield reps on a ship and instead would increase throughput via amplifiers. It is much harder to get resistances up in Shields and often the focus will be plugging up your horrible EM Therm holes. Shields are also far more reactionary as they heal at the start of the cycle other than the end. Once again, it is expected that armor reps are ran almost always, with shields being on an as-needed bases. Much like the AAR, the AAS subverts the problems of the reps with charges. The AAS does not rep much more than a normal Shield rep, but when loaded with Cap charges, the charges will be consumed instead of your capacitor, allowing you to run any shield rep you can wedge onto your ship.

3 Likes

Personally the only time I like shield tanking is if I can do it passive, like a gila. Otherwise I prefer armor tank.

As there are so many ships and fits for various situations its good to do your research as there really is no cookie cutter fits.

Could You tell me the secret how to mount in a cruiser XL shields??? ( 2 times bigger right?)

It isn’t THAT common, but it DOES happen

Just to be clear. There are 5 types of shield boosters while there is only 4 armor repairers.

X-large shield boosters are used on battleships and on top of that you have capital shield boosters. Quite confusing considering that many capital modules start with “x-” and similar.

Ah yes the XLSB Vaga. I use C-Type on mine (Pith, of course). I also use a disruptor instead of the EM mod (ratting fit?). I use a medium neut in the highs, which frees up the rig slots. A tracking computer in the lows would also really help.
Another fun one is the XLASB Stabber, good for solo pvp in FW Lowsec. AB XLASB Invuln Scram mids.

I have an Osprey Navy Issue that passive reps 401 EHP/s (omni) with 2 medium neuts and a 27k EHP shield buffer. The downside is that it only does like 240 dps with RLML. I usually prefer the polarized HAM Osprey Navy, which does 841 DPS to the average frigate with an 18k HP buffer. The latter is great for anti-anti-kite ships (ah yes psychological warfare) that try to hold you down for their gang, but the former is an exceptional bait ship. The other common one is the Friendly Targets Passive Shield Scythe Fleet Issue, shown below.
Second half of first video, first half of second.

2 Likes

That’s an interesting claim - HAM OSNI even applying damage to a frigate. Any pyfa graphs to prove it?

1 Like

There isn’t much in Eve quite like flying a fully deadspace/faction pimped out Vindicator, getting primaried by the entire enemy fleet, and laughing your ass off as the single triage holds you and you still throw Serpentis webs on all their faces.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.