Practical options for EVE performance issues

There is a misunderstanding here.
Just because your CPU is 100% load does not actually mean the bottleneck is the CPU. if you CPU is 99%iowait then it is definitely not the CPU.

Another misunderstanding is to believe that multi threading magically enhances performances. You need to modify your software architecture to handle multi threading. That means most of the time, you need to have dedicated layers of software to synchronization, caching, communication between the threads, which may enhance performances when it comes to the game but then have a big impact on the global server performances.
As you may know, resource synchronization cost can be expressed as max load % and is proportional to the number of accesses to the resource. That’s the reason why WiFi fails as soon as there are enough users : the “air” channel is used for synchronization(of itself), thus a high % of the time it is unavailable (chipset can compensate by increasing delay between transmissions, which is exactly like TiDi ; but in the end you still have too many synchronization tasks)

I’ve worked on modelling systems. In those systems, you have a matrix of states for all elements. Every tick you apply linear and logical (which is linear) rules to the states based on the states of previous tick.
Those systems are heavily parallelized . Modelling the weather for a week ? Modelling a nuclear explosion near the coasts to the granularity of the µm ? Doable in a few thousands GPUs.
Applying user input ? That breaks your complete system. The time you take to update your system with the user data (verification, logging, modelling, transmission of this user input) negates the benefit of having parallel modelling.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying it is not possible to improve Eve server by using parallel computing. I actually thing this is possible, but I like challenges, so I’m a bit biased here.
I’m saying, this is not obvious, this is not proved, and if CCP wants to try it, they are gambling a lot of time and money on a performance increase that may has well not be here.

3 Likes