Tengu (L4 Missions)

Hi all,

Back into Eve after 9 years away. Great to be back.

I previously had a Tengu that I used in NS but have no idea how it went.
I’ve managed to find the ship in my hangar and I’d like to test it out again.

The below build is what it’s currently running.

[Tengu, Tengu Existing]

Ballistic Control System II

Multispectrum Shield Hardener II
Multispectrum Shield Hardener II
EM Shield Hardener II
Federation Navy 10MN Afterburner
Gistii B-Type Small Shield Booster
Gistii B-Type Small Shield Booster
Large Shield Extender II

Heavy Missile Launcher II, Scourge Heavy Missile
Small Tractor Beam II

Medium Capacitor Control Circuit I

Tengu Defensive - Amplification Node
Tengu Offensive - Accelerated Ejection Bay
Tengu Propulsion - Fuel Catalyst
Tengu Core - Augmented Graviton Reactor

Tengu Core - Electronic Efficiency Gate x1

That’s running 456 DPS with Scourge, 641 m/s, 66% cap stable, 21K EHP, high resists, etc.

Some questions:

a) How does a Tengu fare in L4 missions?
b) What are some extras that I could fit into the missing High & Mid slot?
c) Are there any changes that I could make that aren’t too expensive?
d) Is this ship meant to be run at 80km odd distance?

Sorry, wasn’t a veteran player so still have a lot of newb questions.

Thank you.

A tengu is “fine” for L4 missions. It will not be the best, as you can push far more DPS with other ships.

For the mid slot, I’d go with something for better damage application. Target painter or web, something like that. High slot is harder to decide. Tractor like you have maybe. There isn’t anything terribly useful to put there.

You could also go HAM’s which will give a good bump in DPS but you’ll have to manually get in range far more. Also an easy upgrade is to Caldari Navy BCU’s for more DPS.

Above statement is exactly right. The Tengu is okay for level 4 missions but for comparison, a Machariel, Rattlesnake, any Maurader, will be in the 1100-1300 DPS range and not have to move around much in missions.

A buddy of mine uses a Tengu in them just because he likes the Tengu and isn’t looking to min/max efficiency.

I agree with using HAMs as well, with a range script and/or rigs, with scourge fury, you will be around 24-30km with good skills.

Other issue is frigates will be tough to kill so you’ll want Caldari navy missiles and tracking scripts.

The Tengu is super fun and used to be OP for all things PVE back in the day. (Played back in 2008), since then has been nerfed quite a bit but is still a good all around ship.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

The HAM dps and HML values while not equal, are very similar. Do not let the fitting screen confuse your mind.

That would mean that 1400mm howitzer artillery are worse than autocannons because they “only” do around 600dps on a machariel compared to 1300dps with 800mm autocannons.

So even though artillery are “worse”, they are preferred in level 4 missions.

If that was too much information, I apologize. Just keep your focus always on the only value on the fitting screen that counts - dps.
Everything else is just some details and mostly rocket science anyways.

I am aware, and go not off of fitting alone but having flown both style Tengus extensively. But thanks.

Thank you for the replies

Derath Ellecon
For the mid slot, I’d go with something for better damage application. Target painter or web, something like that. High slot is harder to decide. Tractor like you have maybe. There isn’t anything terribly useful to put there.

I’ve added in a T1 Target Painter until I can get the skills for a T2.

Derath Ellecon
You could also go HAM’s which will give a good bump in DPS but you’ll have to manually get in range far more. Also an easy upgrade is to Caldari Navy BCU’s for more DPS.

I looked at the Caldari Navy BCU’s but they’re just too expensive. I’ll see how this goes. It’s just an interim step until I can eventually get into a Rattlesnake by the sounds of it.

Mel Kanjus
Above statement is exactly right. The Tengu is okay for level 4 missions but for comparison, a Machariel, Rattlesnake, any Maurader, will be in the 1100-1300 DPS range and not have to move around much in missions.

I’ve looked at Machariel & Machariel but they’re a fair way off for me at the moment. I’m aiming for the Rattlesnake eventually but this will need to suffice for now as I already have the ship & fittings.

Mel Kanjus
Other issue is frigates will be tough to kill so you’ll want Caldari navy missiles and tracking scripts.

I’ll look into Caldari Navy Missiles.
What do you mean by Tracking Scripts?

What about the shield side of this?

Obviously I’m meant to be at distance taking little to no damage, so do the 2 x Small Shield Boosters cover that? Is a Medium better in their place?

I seem to have the powergrid to put on a Medium SB II, or even a Medium SB II + one of the Gistii B-Type Small SB’s as well. Am I better off with a Medium and something else on the mid slot?

Thank you.

A fresh feedback from trying a Loki on empire epic arcs: The Tengu probably cannot tank well enough in HAM range. My loki had 500+ ehp/s shield boost on pyfa, but the shield melted really fast at HAM Rage range, and HM Fury just gives better dps than HAM Javelin.
Plus Tengu even doesn’t have a drone bay, and using HAMs may have some problem against frigates.

Which missions? I just finished the Gallente arc. Granted I’m running an AC Loki. It has about 815 rep against serpentis but it’s never even been close to melting. In general the gallente arc is the only one with missions that broke my tank when running with a marauder.

Just the second of Wildfire.
And 815 rep is much much better than 500.

Hmm, I’m just about to go run the minmatar one again.

My point was, I’m way overtanked. I’ve not had any issues unless I make a bad piloting mistake. Plus being AC fit I pretty much have to get pretty close most of the time.

It also doesn’t take too much bling to make a HAM tengu with a 750ish omnitank.

Wild fire is far easier than Syndicate.
That mission has 10 Mercenary Overlord as main dps. 800 rep should do well. And my problem is that I know nothing about piloting aside from orbit my target at near max range, and I was webbed, and it took about a minite to kill the webber because of poor missile application and heavy rr among the enemies. Thanks the god that they didn’t point me.

And how are you going to get this tank on the tengu? I only gei 600 with 2 T2 invuls, a Pithum-C type MSB, a T2 shield booster, a T2 DCU and the rigs. I want to save a midslot for missile damage application, otherwise HAM really sucks on the frigates. Well, my fit is worth just a little bit under 400mil.

That I agree with.

Only if you pop both triggers. I just ran this last night and even 500 tank would have been fine if you aren’t trying to fight both spawns at the same time.

Yea the most fun of flying these in a loki is manually piloting. Keep your transverse up and you take very little damage.

I guess it depends on our definition of a little bling. Just under 400 is almost no bling :grin:

HAMs are not worth it on M4 Tengu in my opinion I tried them, too much running around on most missions. My Tengu can go to almost any mission warp in sit still kill every thing fly away. Some special missions need to use AB to keep damage down. Hard to beat 72k heavies with practically the same DPS.

I triggered two spawns because of missile late damage and some unawareness.

Blitz is actually possible if you can get very high tank (1000+ rep) or if you can still give out a lot of damage at long range. In the second case, make an on-site bm when warping in at range, kill the cruiser and warp forth and back to collect the drop and put it into the container.

Ok but that goes back to your original reply. This information is important, as your ships tank would have been fine had you not triggered both spawns. Without this information it would mislead someone as to the proper details of the situation.

Not a huge deal, just trying to make sure all of the information is accurate.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.