The Elephant in the Room

UI may be the games strong suit. Sure is complicated but so is the game and its extremely versatile and highly customizable.

Its clean windows, minimalistic and in able to load my screw with vital info and functions.

Don’t ruin it.

1 Like

Does he say its written by soap opera hacks and directed by nimrods who dont actually appreciate new ideas?

Cos that would be on the money.

EVE is like Hotel California

You can check out, but you can never leave.

1 Like

Those numbers were from one of the presentations late last year I think and are concerning, but I’m not sure linking the state of the UI and new player retention makes much sense. I have sat down with one or 2 friends and have compared the default layout to how my screen(s) are setup, once they had changed their layout and had the windows explained to them they were happy to just get on with it. So for me what is missing for new players regarding the UI is individual tutorials on the overview, dscan, probe scanner window, chat, wallet, assets …

As for retention of new players, as far as I can gather CCP are trying 2 main things, improving the NPE and adding more PvE content. Their efforts on the NPE have been quite good although as we all know the tutorial and career agents are still a bit lame. To my mind they should tie in (as part of the missions) tutorials and videos explaining what they are expected to do and what is a successful outcome.

Adding more PvE content is … just yet more PvE. This follows the path of many games out there and really misses the whole point of Eve which is that it is a social game, even if at times it is anti-social between ganker/ganked it is still an interaction. It would be fantastic if each new player finished the career agents and immediately joined an active corp which suits the gameplay they like best but it just rarely happens that way. Many rookies feel lost and it is at this point that CCP need to step up their game.

So between ending the career agent and finding the right corp I feel that CCP need to put together some fleet content for rookies. This could be run by ISD maybe, it could include mining, rookie corvette fight clubs, PvE fleets, wormhole delving … Eve University does lots of these and more but because it is a player corp many rookies are suspicious and just carry on in an NPC until eventually they fade away.

For me I “got Eve” when I started talking to others and fleeting with them, if we want more rookies to “get it” then some how we have to give them the social content that gets players properly engaged.

1 Like

Translation: WAKE UP SHEEPLE!!!

Idiot confirmed.

This is plain stupid, do you think they burn through all the content in 7 days?

yes…

I’m just saying it’s more shiny things, lustre wears off quickly and it doesn’t really engage them in group/fleet content. Nothing wrong with PvE if that’s what you like but in terms of n00b retention it’s not enough.

1 Like

A well designed UI is more than just shinny.

For sake of extreme example, imagine if the ship controls were only in a context menu. 3 menus down is the fire weapon button and you have to do that for each bank :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah I see youve played Star Trek Online

Another example, the system context menu, 3 levels down is the station that is in your saved locations.

In a quality UI that would be apparent right in the overview through some sort of highlighting.

Well ok, I’m not going to argue that Eve’s UI is “best in class”, sure it could be improved but I just think CCP have much bigger issues to sort out for rookie retention than a few extra clicks here and there.

1 Like

Indeed

1 Like

Ah yes. Let’s not forget that one

1 Like

1 Like

Bridge didn’t fade - it morphed.
My gen played spades.
Earlier gens played whist.

52 card decks are still around.

EvE will morph as well.

–Gadget is waiting for full imersion EvE

… and FairyTail is seal-dribbling in a grammar ecstasy.

English grammar difficulties. Guess what sentence can be made by using the next nice words: you, week, FairTail, yourself, do, feel.

Do you feel bad yourself this week, FairyTail?

1 Like

You only listed 6 words and added “do” and “this” to complete that totally pointless question. Additionally, you incorrectly spelled my char’s name in the list.

On top of this, what you are referring to was not a grammatical issue at all.

In fact, I have no idea what your point is here. But as long as you feel better I guess that is what matters :grin:

Billy has DEFINATELY said this before

Before I seal-clubbed him, that is

the issue with that is…ccp is killing eve and nerfing it and widly patching in OP ships and handing out free sp trying to keep people intrested. You think eve will age like a grandmother but itll age like joan rivers with botox and surgery. Its unplayable right now unless your a pvper. SO we can all play it but ccp will change this game till the funders shut it down and it will not be the same game you remember by the end.