New high sec NPCS killing players in strong ships at stations

:slight_smile:

Well they do go all yellow and red box-y on you when they start targeting and shooting you like anyone else.

Yeah, it’s hard to say how much havoc these guys are causing yet. I think many of their ‘victims’ aren’t the sort to have the API linked to zKillboard, like the OP who doesn’t seem to have his linked so someone must have posted the kill mail manually. Further, I think the NPCs share names with the ones in the Resources Wars sites which are indeed killing a lot of players, but generally ones actively playing the game rather than loitering on a gate/station or in a belt. Still, perhaps some of these kills are from these new roaming NPCs:

Kudos to CCP for having the courage to implement these guys to highsec and setting themselves up for the obvious response from a subset of their highsec players. It feels like it has been a very long time since I have seen something truly new and mysterious happening in New Eden.

Edit: Actually maybe the NPC that killed the OP is unique to the roaming NPCs:

3 Likes

Iv seen the Kestrel before on grid when i trigger the bots on the low sec sotiyo grid

Are the NPCs killable, Ive bad standings with all the pirate factions but I live in a WH, however If i choose to do a freighter run somewhere i will obviously be pi**ed if it gets killed, especially by a lone kestrel.

How can you avoid them?
are they overpowered?
Do i have to repair pirate faction standings on my freighter pilots?

What do these npc’s take as bad standings and choose to attack? Any - or less or -2.0 similar to agents not working with you?

You’re asking the wrong question.

The question is not “Why did I lose my 3B ISK orca to an NPC?” The question is “Why did I not join a corp years ago with other players who can come to help when I’m about to lose my 3B ISK orca to an NPC?”

5 Likes

No one knows. These guys are a big mystery.

Perhaps the OP can share some information on his standings with Guristas and whether the NPCs tried to point him or not. The kill mail does confirm he was on the undock, so I don’t know why he just didn’t dock up (or warp away) unless he was AFK, but maybe they web and/or pointed him. A frigate, or even bunch of frigates must take an awfully long time to chew through a tanked Orca.

A previous report suggest they don’t tackle you but that needs to be confirmed.

My guess is right now is that they don’t and you will be safe as long as you pay attention and warp away when they show up. But more information is needed.

3 Likes

Naturally, eventually CCP wanted to get in on the griefing of high sec players. Why leave all the fun to their null sec buddies. I find it very telling that we don’t have any NPC’s attacking null sec ships parked outside stations or structures.

3 Likes

That would make sense if these are a measure to curtail some AFK practices. If there’s no tackle you should still escape their clutches in most cases.

1 Like

Nobody’s griefing HiSec players. HiSec players and the HiSec playstyle are not victims here, nor are they in any serious jeopardy. What is in jeopardy, and rightfully so, is the solo playstyle. Social interaction is the Lifeblood of the game (pun intended). Solo players aren’t contributing to what makes the game great and special, dynamic and lively. CCP wants to do everything possible to encourage people to join or form corps and play together. No capsuleer an island. And I’m happy their finally making a serious effort to make it happen.

2 Likes

There I have to disagree, all playstyles should be viable. Solo shouldn’t be as rewarding (in ISK terms) as being part of a group, but it should still be viable if you take the correct precautions.

7 Likes

Guess you have not been following the declining sub rate over the past few years and current events. CCP is down to one franchise that supposedly makes money. And guess what, solo players STILL make up a large segment of that paying sub base.

Contrary to your fantasies, that people who play solo will not decide to join a co-operative group. They will quit the game. CCP has made a concerted effort to destroy the economic viability of the solo playstyle, which has resulted in the dropping sub rate. Now, CCP decision-makers, who share your insane ideology, are doubling down on the moves that drove away so much of their customer base.

Not surprising though, given the track record of all the big moves CCP management has made in the last 5 or 6 years.

20 Likes

I’m content to disagree with you about whether the solo playstyle should be viable. EVE is by conception, design and intent a social game. The community is healthiest, and liveliest when players don’t isolate from each other. It’s important to encourage players to join or form corps because it’s the only way to ensure the long-term viability of the game we love.

I think you’re correct that the social playstyle is and should be more profitable. However, with the new NPCs, CCP is correcting an important oversight, which has been that while social play is (generally) more profitable, solo play has been relatively risk-free. Social play should not only be more profitable, but also less risky. There should be safety in numbers, so to speak. The OP, if they were in a corp, would have had corp-mates to call on. That’s key. CCP is making solo play more dangerous relative to social play, a laudable goal.

Agreed. If the new npcs and their behavior is such that player bots and afk players are most at risk with the emergent gameplay, I am all for it. Perhaps it will be used in some fashion to make a dent in the current glut of bots, although they will need to be introduced into null to have the most effect. As long as a player is aware, at the keyboard, and has taken reasonable precautions such as proper fit and techniques, these npcs should have limited success. If CCP has added pointing or some other ability that even the well fitted/technique solid solo player cannot overcome, then CCP has gone a step too far.

3 Likes

Do we have data for player retention for those who join a corp versus those who remain isolated? It’s a very solid bet that the source of unsubs is twofold. On one hand, you have natural attrition. Nobody keeps playing forever. The second, worrisome source is solo players who, for whatever reason, never joined a corp, got bored, disengaged, and stopped playing. There are some, and I presume you’re among them, who are content to bang away at asteroid belts in HiSec for all eternity. That’s lovely. You do you. However, I’m perfectly happy with you carrying a bit more risk so that the upside of joining a corp is more clear and more pressing for new players, who are vastly more likely to stay subscribed if they engage with a corp.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :grin:

2 Likes

Ummmm, what? It’s fine for you to disagree on whether or not solo play should be viable, it’s your opinion and no ones stopping you from having it. However your statement that solo play is/was “risk-free” is ludicrous. Edit: For that matter, suggesting that any form of game play is “risk-free” is just wrong. With the exception of perhaps ship spinning, if you want to call that game play.

4 Likes

If people want to play the game solo, then they should play the game solo, just because people who disagree with that decision bleat on about it at every opportunity doesn’t make THEIR opinion the correct one.

And whilst this thread has gone completely off track and onto solo play style and declining sub numbers I personally want to find out more about the attacks and measures to counter them, as well as information on standings etc and why they attack whom they attack.

9 Likes

You’re correct, nothing in EVE is absolutely risk-free. This is the purpose of the modifier relatively.

I love it. NPCs should be able to actually kill solo players. Makes the game more involved for the players.

1 Like

Griefing? I wouldn’t go that far. First, we don’t know for sure that the NPCs spawned by the big brother of the FOBs, the Shipyards, aren’t doing the exact same thing in nullsec (and lowsec now). They probably are although I imagine there are less unattended ships floating in space in these systems.

But secondly this isn’t completely out of left field. Highsec has always had belt rats and gate rats and even slightly more intelligent NPCs roaming around Incursion systems. All that has happened is that their limited capabilities, and power creep over the years have rendered them all but ignorable in most situations, even in the more “dangerous” parts of highsec. These, like the Incursion spawns are confined to specific systems, and players will in time learn to evade them although I imagine rarely they will manage to catch someone out who has wandered away from their keyboard and generate an amusing loss mail.

HIghsec was never intended to be predictably risk-free or static, and adding a little bit of uncertainty (that moves around with the FOB spawns) after years of making it safer and safer (and highsec getting emptier and emptier) can hardly be called “griefing”. Some might even call it “fun”.

7 Likes