Best PVE Battleship for newish pilots

Maelstrom, Apocalypse. Raven and Dominix are all fine T1 hulls to mission with. The cheapest and easiest way, if you find you’re taking too much damage, is to fit for range with a Micro Jump Drive. I don’t know about other pilots, but moving into L4 missions was a rough transition at first and these fits were my bread and butter, even just to have the MJD to gtfo in big complexes. With your racial battleship skill up to IV or V and T2 fittings, most T1 battleships will function as mission boats.

The Machariel, Nightmare and Vindicator are all very capable ships as well. The Vindicator is a phenomenal battleship for just about any occasion.

1 Like

You can also consider going for a rattlesnake. Used one for quite a long time. Served me well. I didnt do wormholes tho. Stayed in null doing anomalies and 10/10s.

1 Like

…unless a bhaalgorn turns it off or a Barghest is dancing circles around it and makes it cry.

I typically do not recommend laser ships unless you have t2 weapons (T2 ammo such as Scorch is very important for laser boats). My suggestions typically are after te Alpha or Omega question. After which, budget.

• in no particular order:

Minmatar:

• Cruise / RHML Typhoon (Alpha or Omega)
  • 1200mm Arty Maelstrom (Alpha or Omega)

Caldari:

• Cruise /RHML Raven (Alpha or Omega)

Amarr:

• Cruise / RHML Armageddon (Alpha or Omega)
  • Pulse Apocalypse (Omega)

Gallente:

• Railgun Hyperion (Alpha or Omega)
  • Drone Dominix ( Heavies for Alpha, Sentries for Omega)

Navy Faction:

• Cruise Navy Raven (Alpha or Omega)
  • Drone Navy Dominix ( Heavies for Alpha, Sentries for Omega)
  • Pulse Navy Armageddon (Omega Only)

Pirate Faction:

• Autocannon Machariel (Alpha or Omega)
  • Cruise / RHML Rattlesnake (Alpha or Omega)
  • Cruise/ RHML Bhargest (Alpha or Omega)

Marauder:

• All ( Omega Only)

Non-Battleship Suggestions (Omega Only)

• T3 Cruisers
  • Command Ships (Nighthawk is especially good, think superdrake).
2 Likes

I’ve been here almost 4 years and still don’t have a battleship…

1 Like

Only if you do pvp a lot. Ever heard of tachyons and the Nightmare?

Are too expensive for alphas to consider.

1 Like

raised eyebrows

Really? Maybe as their very first battleship. But considering it isn’t that hard to be pulling in at least 40-60m isk a day for a couple hours of L4 mission running even with not that great of skills on the character doing it… Doesn’t take more than a couple weeks of saving up to make the jump to a better ship if they want to do so.

1 Like

well idk how much the pirate bpc nerf changed things but last i checked pirate ships were cheaper than navy ships so its not really worth using them

1 Like

I can only suggest based on what I have personally used, and I have not used a beam nightmare outside of incursions.

As to navy ships being too expensive? Yo do realize they are an l.p. reward for missions right?

1 Like

Aim at a Rattlesnake at the long run. 1k+ dps, 4k-5k active tank (2k passive, differently fitted) and and 180GJ/sec cap recharge when correctly fitted, say its the perfect boat for such tasks (even 7 large neuts on you wont suck you dry).
But to start, I’d recommend the Raven and when your skills grow up, change to the RS

1 Like

For the wider use I’d personally recommended both Typhoons especially fleet issue. Very flexible platform offers nice options to play with fits etc.

For Amarrian geeks Apoc is still the best performer due to nice cap bank which provides the enough level of comfort - distance, active rep, cap stability.

For Gal geeks the space potatoe is still the king. Tbh its versatility gives you so much yo work with so you can’t not love it anyway.

1 Like

theyre a pretty inefficient use of lp
still cheaper to sell the lp and buy a pirate ship last i checked but maybe bpc nerf changed that

[quote=“JC_Mieyli, post:32, topic:29640”]still cheaper to sell the lp and buy a pirate ship last i checked but maybe bpc nerf changed that
[/quote]

On the other hand, pirate ships require more skills. A newer pilot can jump right into his faction Navy ships if he can use the basic ship, a pirate ship will require at least one other faction’s ship skills. Or two if he didn’t plan ahead even before character creation.

1 Like

Don’t forget the Rattlesnake with super-sentry drones or the tach-mare, as in the Nightmare with tachyons.
In my experience, you can use t1 meta 4 guns with t1 crystals but I haven’t tried that out, so let me get back to you on that.
By the way unless you are facing Guristas or the angel Cartel, lazors are pretty good at level 4 missions.

2 Likes

as I told you before: I can only suggest based on what I have personally used

That is fine. Your list is pretty accurate and extensive, I just wanted to add two more choices of which I know them to be good at what they do.

1 Like

I’d like to second a rattlesnake if you are looking for something super tanky. On the other hand it requires a bit more training to get into. For the poor man I have to say the Dominix is a perfect new pilot ship that can do pretty much anything.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.