CSM Month 3 and Month 4 in Review

Who figured what out? It was a surprise ending.

1 Like

Yeah, but the rewards were unbalanced. In fact, the EDENCOM side got penalized for ā€œchoosing a sideā€, making future events like this having far fewer players joining in and risking suffering a penalty for doing what CCP wanted us to do.

3 Likes

To be clear, CCP didnā€™t tell anybody which side to pick. The losers obviously got fewer rewards than the winners did.

Thanks Brisc for the information.
Interesting how far back some points have been discussed with CSM already. Since you know more, tell me, is the promised carrot still coming this year?

Who knows at this point.

1 Like

Maybe if CSM committed to becoming eunuchs then CCP would trust them with more sensitive information like resource rebalancing and have them more involved.

I vote we chop off @Brisc_Rubalā€™s nuts :hocho::red_circle::red_circle:

Start with Vily.

So rather not, since you know the changes at least 2 months in advance. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thatā€™s my point , also i blame CCP more about the bad design of the conflict itself than the illusion thing. Maybe they could be honest and tell us their intentions, or like you said be competent at hiding the illusion thing.

Really? Yā€™all really asked for that?

Edit: Not picking on you, Brisc. Thanks for the write-up.

thx for the update, keep up the good work

The guy who asked for that can speak up if he wants, lol.

2 Likes

We actually havenā€™t started talking about next year yet, so I donā€™t know what is coming down the pipe.

1 Like

I came down your momā€™s pipe. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Brisc, letā€™s get back to your synopsis. I detect a tone of frustration not only in that CCP devs are not really listening to what the CSM says and advises, but that there is an underlying lack of effective communication from CCP with anyone! A Reddit post here and there, a Slack conversation, a Twitch broadcast, perhaps a WiS interviewā€¦but all of it being uncoordinated and piecemeal; requiring a player to scramble around trying to make sense of changes without organization of the information from CCP.

Does it appear that there a general reluctance from certain dev groups or personalities to interact with their customer base? Why is there so much resistance to trying to communicate effectively with people who want to buy their products? Why does a company who prides itself on its organizational structure and planning fail to be able to create an effective department that is able to plan and implement constant coordinated communication between themselves and their customers?

Please emphasis this lack of coordinated communication at your next meeting. Much of the anger and discontent being generated could be significantly reduced through clearer and more frequent communication AT A CENTRAL LOACTIONā€¦like these forums.

ā€¦and you thought dealing with politicians was tough, huh Brisc?

2 Likes

HEY-OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I have been harping on communication and transparency for a while now, and Iā€™m going to continue doing that.

2 Likes

I feel the same way. And I make a really compelling argumentā€¦ which you can piece together by searching my youtube channel, the forums, and conversations had in various discords.

Jokes aside, it seems like CCP started to get worse at communication about the same time as Hilmar said that he wanted to put the mystery back into Eve. So, itā€™s quite possible that this is one of the major contributing factors why (apparently other reasons include a desire to limit market speculation, CSM misconduct, and perceptions of CSM misconduct).

Of course, I think this is a mistake. For one, itā€™s a foolā€™s errand. The internet of 2020 is very different from the internet of the mid 2000ā€™s, and we now have youtube, twitch, blogs, wikis, slack, discord, and a host of 3rd party resources and tools -all of which help an organized, experienced, and motivated player base to understand and share every aspect of game. Naturally, I consider trying to put the mystery back into Eve to be a fools errand. At best, it can only slightly delay how long it takes for players to figure things out and disseminate all relevant information.

The big problem with this, however, is that poor communication has significant negative consequences:

(1) The inability to check out and provide feedback about new content on the test server, and poor communication with the CSM and players, contributes to content that feels like it is ill conceived, unfinished, and unpolished. Iā€™ve never worked in game development, but I would think that scrambling to polish and flesh out released content before negative sentiment sets in is a bad ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  position to be in (to be clear, I donā€™t blame the devs who worked on invasions and Dorito space, I think the problem is with the process).

(2) It contributes to players questioning if CCP has a vision for Eve, or if theyā€™re just throwing ā– ā– ā– ā–  at the wall to see what sticks. Personally, I have no doubt that CCP has a vision for Eve, but I also think itā€™s important to communicate that vision to players. If the player base had more faith in CCP, they could probably get away saying, ā€œtrust us.ā€ But thatā€™s not the reality weā€™re living in.

(3) It contributes to increased anger and frustration about nerfs. There will always be people who get mad at nerfs, but the problem is exacerbated when players donā€™t feel like there is sufficient justification for the nerfs.

(4) It contributes to increased animosity towards the devs on the part of the player base. Players want to feel like they are valued as fans, and that they are being listened to. Naturally, poor communication tends to make them feel like the inverse is true.

Anyway, Iā€™m sure some of points could use some further elaboration, but this is turning into a wall of text.

5 Likes

I didnā€™t ask about next year, but if something is coming this year, because CSM knows some changes several months before they are announced. But that is ok, thank you.

We donā€™t always know changes several months in advance. I donā€™t even know what you mean by ā€œpromised carrotā€ either, lol.

1 Like