Do Lasers suck for missions?

Not really, they are “good” versus drones but drones are more weak to thermal I believe and lasers are 30% thermal on average. And serpentis as I recall are more kinetic weakness. Lasers do well versus both of these, but I was talking about the two npcs that are super weak versus them.

Drones are em/thermal weak, except some elit ones (like parasite), those have super high EM resists.

Serpentis are kinetic/thermal weak (shield and armor), but the thing is, that they are “hull tanked” and their hull resists are 0%.

My point was that lasers do not suck at pve.

4 Likes

Very true, my Harbi did prove that many times.

1 Like

Zero argument there, hell lasers are my favorite weapon of choice next to fighters.

2 Likes

A lot of people do PvE in Nightmares. MJD + long range lasers. It isn’t bad. At medium (cruiser range) it kinda is, but they are a lot better then hybrid turrets. Large hybrid turrets to me seem the worst, the only exception I can think off is a Vindi Incursion fleet. But thats a fleet comp, not solo mission or DED site running.

I loved my MJD Tachyon Beam Laser Abaddon for missions back in the day when Tachyons sounded as if they were searing, sizzling off your armor and not like a fridge thrower.

3 Likes

I miss those sound effects too. (Even though tachyons are largely the most useless of all lasers for everything now.)

1 Like

I also miss the old tachyon sfx- sounded like space was getting ripped apart.

Tachs are still extremely useful- especially for pve where you can outrange any rat BS other than gurristas while still using multifrequency.
A tachmare with an mjd rarely has to use a shield booster- aside from gurriatas most rat BSs can’t land hits much past 40km, and will burn directly towards your position, so reduced tracking isn’t much of an issue.
If you mission or rat against sanshas, blood raiders, or rogue drones energy turrets rule.

If you commonly fight gurristas or angels they aren’t as great. Easy enough to pick the correct tool for the job.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.