Drones

I’ve noticed most people use drones, basically free dmg, no drawbacks as far as I can tell. So currently I am doing L2 missions in a rupture with 4 Hobgoblin’s and 1 hammerhead because I didn’t train drones so I can only deploy 5 drones and have space for 6 so the Hammerhead is a direct upgrade. I was wondering if I should make the switch from Hobgoblin’s to Hammerhead’s? Also, should I even be considering sentry and healing drones? I am in a rupture with a kind of shield based fit.
Thanks!

1 Like

Once the environment gets more hostile you will find the drawbacks of drones… but at level 2 missions they are definitely a good choice.

1 Like

Why do drones have drawbacks at higher levels? Just wondering

1 Like

NPC’s start to target them. If you are using higher end drones and are not careful to keep an eye on their aggro the losses can add up.

They are still definitely worth using though, especially to hit smaller targets from larger ships.

2 Likes

Pros:
Little to no manual effort
Selectable damage types

Cons:
Delayed damage application (drones need to fly to a new target)
Only weapon type in the game that can be killed off (I guess bombs technically count too)
Can be rendered useless by faster ships (since drone can never catch up them)
Can be rendered useless with a single burst jammer

No, they’re not worth it. You cannot target your own ship with repair drones, and a Sentry is useless on its own outside of a dedicated drone ship that gives natural bonuses (like the Ishtar or Dominix).

1 Like

Okay thanks!

1 Like

the small drones are especially worth when you are a BS and don’t want to deal with the little frigates on your own.

You pick T1, even if you lose them you don’t care.

1 Like

You cannot deploy more drones, actually. There is one exception, but it is not important.

4 Likes

Oh! Okay I had no idea thanks!

1 Like

Not correct. I once drove a Raven pilot round the bend watching his torpedoes dissappear to my smartbomb when he jumped my Dominix in null. :grinning:

One question you asked that has not been covered here. Medium drones are most effective against medium opponents - cruisers and battle-cruisers. They will also apply full damage to large (battleship) hulls. They will have difficulty tracking small (frigate, destroyer) hulls.

For level 2 missions I recommend staying with small drones - Warriors work best in Minmatar space if you’re fighting Angel Cartel. For level 3 missions, a ship like the Gnosis with a 75M3 drone bay can carry a squadron of medium and a squadron of light but the Minmatar battlecruisers are more limited. The natural upgrade from your Rupture is the Hurricane which only has a 40M3 drone bay.

1 Like

Ok thanks!

1 Like

light drones for destroyer targets and below. Med for cruisers and BC’s. heavy drones for BS’s there can be some overlap, and this is just a personal preference. You can only fly up to 5 drones. Sentries are great for distances of over 50k (if you have the skills), then switch to smaller drones as the targets get closer. Sentries don’t move so you need to stay near them to recall them. There are som mods that help with drone tracking, speed and range. Do some Google work if you want to become a power Drone Player.

1 Like

Light drones are so flimsy, though.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.