EVE-O Preview v5.1.0 "Able Actor" (multi-client preview / switcher) [ 2021-05-08 ] + limited Linux support

recently discovered eve-o thanks for this amazing app

Is there a shortkey that I can use so I can change faster the eve clients without clicking with the mouse for every eve-o window?

You can assign hotkeys for each client.

I posted to the GitHub page, but thought I should come here also -

Like many others, I am experiencing black thumbnails. I am using the latest release of EVE-O and I am on Windows 10.

When I am at the character select screen, everything works great. Live preview in the thumbnail. After selecting a character, the thumbnail becomes a black screen. If I minimize the clients entirely (IE: Windows + D), the thumbnail shows a single still image.

I have attempted to enable Aero, but that seems like a Windows 7 feature which has been discontinued. As per your advice in previous replies, if I do Alt+Tab and hold Alt, I can see the live previews of all of my windows (so Windows is capable of generating the previews).

This is actually a brand new install of Windows - I had the software running fine on my old PC. I am using the same GPU, but new CPU/SSD/Mobo, etc.

Do you have any advice for how to resolve this?

Quick Edit: Compatibility mode does show me the slow “screenshot” previews, which is better than nothing, but I am concerned about performance. Setting it to minimize the inactive clients shows the still image of the client before being minimized (as expected, I have read your comment about the Win 10 update that prevents the thumbnails when minimized).

Edit#2: Attempted to downgrade my graphics drivers, no success.

Edit#3: I had swapped my antivirus - uninstalled that, but still no success. Weird thing, as I mention above, is that it works at character selection, but fails after logging in (turns black).

are you in fullscreen mode or fixed window/window ?

I made a quick setup and rundown guide for EVE-O Preview:
https://youtu.be/Xj11orLqMfQ

Typically using fixed window, but I have tried all three (going to try all three again right now).

Would actually pay a couple billion ISK to anyone that helps me get a working solution. I very much feel like the key is in the fact that the thumbnails work at the character selection screen, and fail after a character is loaded.

Well, let’s start from the beginning.

1. (long story short) “Aero” is not only a windows styling in Win 7. This is also a set of technologies used by Windows Manager. These technologies are always enabled on Win 8 and above, yet they can be disabled in Win 7. You’d be surprised how much Win7 hosts are there still working.
  2. If you see working previews on character selection screen then these techs are available and working on your host.
  3. Now we need to find out why previews are not working for clients that have logged in. The first step is to try to load EVE-O after you have logged in your clients. Would that change anything?

Thank you for the response!

Regarding #3, after logging in a single client and starting EVE-O, I see a black thumbnail immediately.

Interestingly, if I logout to the character select screen, it is still a black thumbnail. The only time I see it working successfully is after launching into the character select screen. The live preview works flawlessly (I can see when my mouse cursor hovers over each character, etc).

After selecting the character to login it does the normal animation of hiding the other character portraits and showing only the selected one. The character screen goes black (as does the thumbnail), but when the game loads in the thumbnail remains black.

Your post was 4 days ago now per the forums… mine was working as recently as 1 day ago, but now I am having the same or similar problem.

Except I don’t even notice my preview windows appearing in the first place, nor the EVE-O control window opening in the first place. I just notice the program in my task manager and then it auto-closes.

Was about to look the log up for you, did a right click → properties on the eve-o preview I’ve been clicking in my start menu (used to always use a desktop shortcut but lately my 2nd monitor has been on the fritz and sometimes not working, so moved the icon to the primary monitor, now it’s behind my stack of 3 eve clients and much harder to access once I’ve already used the launcher and gotten into character select(s) before remembering to start EVE-O).

and it turns out that shortcut was pointing to an old EVE-O Preview. It appears I have like 4 versions of your great program now installed at the same time. ;D

Anyway, I found the one I shoulda been launching and now all is well. Turns out my issue was NOT the same as Baron’s. Unless he, too, is launching an older version of EVE-O he still has installed like me, ofc!

:::creates a duplicate shortcut to my preferred EVE-O .exe file and puts that back on the 2nd monitor… yay, one EVE-O shortcut per monitor now!:::

I can’t believe I didn’t notice this before.

EVE-O works fine when the previews are on my main monitor. I downloaded an old version to test that (v4.0 or so) and got very excited when I logged in and the preview was working! But, I moved the preview to my second monitor, and it was immediately black (in fact, I could hover the preview half between my main monitor and half my second monitor, was half was working half was black).

I tried the newest version and it is the same issue. I never noticed since after logging in the windows re positioned to my second monitor.

Would you have any idea what could cause this?

Edit: I can actually move the game client to my second monitor and the preview still works on the first monitor. The issue is the first monitor is significantly better than the second (the second main purpose being to hold the thumbnails, email window, etc)

Edit#2: It seems to all revolve around the primary monitor. I am able to set my second or third monitor as primary (so it has all desktop icons, etc), start the game on that monitor, and move the client to my best monitor. This keeps the thumbnails working on the secondary monitor, while the main monitor has the game. This is obviously very cumbersome to setup for a lot of accounts. I would love your feedback and still have ISK waiting :slight_smile:

Edit#3: I am becoming convinced that this is a display port issue. I have three monitors - one HDMI, one DP to HDMI, one DP. Connecting the DP monitor via HDMI seems to resolve the issue (I can start the client on my main PC, and move the thumbnail to the second PC with no issues). I do lose my third monitor, as my GPU cannot support multiple HDMI. It is very odd, as I am using the same monitors, cables, and GPU as my previous computer, which did not have any of these issues.

This is a bit scary tbh. I would never suspect that different monitor connection type could cause such side effects.
You could try to reinstall/update the monitor drivers (unplug it, delete it from device manager and reboot)

I am going to go grab a $10 DP to HDMI converted in a little bit. Hoping this will solve my issue. My suspicion is that using a DP cable unlocks different capabilities (such as 144Hz) that EVE-O or Windows do not like. I have reverted back to 60Hz, but suspect there is some other difference between DP and HDMI that is causing the issue. Just no idea what.

Geeze, finally figured it out.

It was the HDR setting from the DP cable. I must have enabled it when setting up the new PC. As soon as I disabled it, everything worked fine. Side note, using an HDMI cable instead of the DP cable fixes this, as it automatically disables HDR.

Thanks for your help, that was a beast to figure out.

1 Like

I love this program so much. Just discovered the “minimize inactive client” feature and it’s saved my poor CPU from melting.

I was wondering, I swap between which monitor I run my clients on, is there a way to move all the preview windows together - like to click and drag all of them?
Thank you for this amazing tool!

So, this is my 1st time running EVE-O, and I am running into an issue. I have my 5 accounts all running, but I only have a single preview window in the top left of my screen. EVE-O seems to recognize all 5 are running, but it doesn’t show the other accounts. How can I fix this?

EDIT: They all come up now, but the previews cover each other, as shown here:

How do I make them side by side?

Drag them to proper places using right mouse button?

Btw please double-check that your EVE client is set to run in Fixed Window mode, not in Fullscreen

Hello everyone, after the last Windows update with eve-preview running, my desktop window manager began to constantly eat up memory. no one has come across this? how to treat

[image]

1 Like

Previews always on top is not working for me today. I’ve restarted my PC but it won’t stay on top of my eve clients. It appears on my desktop though. Any ideas?

Fullscreen mode in EVE clients?

1 Like

Excellent bit of kit, wish I had used it sooner. Only play 2-3 accounts now and then but it certainly makes life easier.

Cheers!