Exploration Astero - Sites + PVP Fitting (with mobile depot)

Hi guys,

I read in several topics that many people like to use 2 fits for the Astero.
One fit for scanning and doing the sites and the other one to kill other exploration ships in the sites. Switch will be done by mobile depot.

This is my scanning/site fit. I am doing Sleeper Caches with it, thats why the rep and boost in armor.

Damage Control II
200mm Steel Plates II
Prototype Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane I
Small Armor Repairer II

5MN Y-T8 Compact Microwarpdrive
Data Analyzer II
Relic Analyzer II
Cargo Scanner II

Covert Ops Cloaking Device II
Core Probe Launcher II

Small Gravity Capacitor Upgrade I
Small Anti-Explosive Pump I
Small Auxiliary Nano Pump I

To change the fit for hunting I would at least change to 2x Warp Scrambler and Drone Damage Amplifier II and put Hobogoblin 2 and Warrior 2

Any suggestions?

yes i have a suggestion

the mobile depot takes 1 minute to come online … then you refit … then the other ship is gone

use 2 asteros and go for sites or hunt in sites … not both

JuuR

2 Likes

No you got me wrong. I dont change my fit while the other ship is doing the site. That would be no sense. When I see that some other Astero for example is following me with the sites or I see that one is upfront I change the fit somewhere in safe spot and then only do the PVP.

Okay, at first I wondered about the plate. But in Sleeper Caches that makes some sense.

Changes I would suggest you do in order to fight other frigate sized stuff:

Low:
Change the Plate for a Drone Damage Amplifier

Mid:
MWD
Warp Scrambler
Cap-Booster
Web or Warp Disruptor (1)

High:
Cloak
Energy Neutralizer (2)

1. Two Scramlbers make sense when you know that your target uses Warp Core Stabilizers or is a Venture.
  2. When I go hunting I usually have already scanned out everything in the system. And if you fight anohter Astero perpared for pvp, the fight usually goes in favor of the one that makes the other run out of cap boosters first.

Only 4 Drones? Why not 5?
Personally I would favor Hobgoblins. When you have a target scrammed it shouldn’t outrun them. Hobs have the theoretically highest damage potential. You can only assume the resistance of a target based on default resistance profile and fitting slots. Only after the kill you know for sure.

Also JuuR has a point. When you really need to refit in space, make sure to do it outside of the targets DScan range. If you are optimistic your target will stick around for more than 2 minutes you might be able to catch it.

Also make an overview tab with all objects so you see everything that could decloak you too early.

Thank you @Nora_Maldoran

I put the suggestion into my fitting tool:

Damage Control II
Drone Damage Amplifier II
Prototype Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane I
Small Armor Repairer II

Initiated Compact Warp Scrambler
Small Capacitor Booster II, Navy Cap Booster 400
Stasis Webifier I

Small Energy Neutralizer II

With this fit I have problems with powegrid, it is 41.35/40 MW so 1.35 too much. What to change?
I meant 5 drones in the starting post, just the tech 2 drones ;D.

Could replace the Energy Neutralizer (2) with Small Gremlin Compact Energy Neutralizer.
Just a difference in Neutralization Amount of 5 GJ and 1Km less Optimal Range but also saves 3 MW of Powergrid.

Before changing the neutralizer I would try the cap booster. The meta variations usually differ very little in performance but use less fitting resources compared to T2. Also an enduring or compact Web could be a good option.
What’s worth to have as a T2 variant is the Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane. I would choose that over a T2 cap booster and T2 neut.

@Nora_Maldoran

changed the Stasis Web to Enduring Stasis Web. Also replaced the Energized Adaptive nano Membrane with a T2 one.
The Cap Booster all got 5 MW Powergrid Usage, Tech 1 and also the meta varations. So here I cannot save any Powergrid.

By changing the MWD to Y-T8 Compact one and Armor Repair to a Meta version I could save a bit of Powergrid, but still 0.3 above xD

What can I do?

This would be the “optimal” fit I would use, but that’s with perfect fitting skills. (All 5)

copy paste & import this into game/pyfa
[Astero, vs. other Frigates]

Damage Control II
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II
Small Armor Repairer II

5MN Quad LiF Restrained Microwarpdrive
Fleeting Compact Stasis Webifier
Warp Scrambler II
Small Electrochemical Capacitor Booster I, Navy Cap Booster 200

Small Gremlin Compact Energy Neutralizer

Hobgoblin II x5
Warrior II x5
Hornet EC-300 x5

Things I would downgrade to it’s “compact” meta-variant (if not alredy) from first to last.
Neut > Web > MWD > Scram > Adaptive Nano Membaren > Drone Damage Amplifier > Damage Control > Armor Repairer

So first switch the neut to meta, last the rep. And If all that isn’t enough just kick the neutralizer.

The only szenario this will give you an actuall advantage is when you fight an other Astero that uses a cap booster. So my train of thought here is the following:
If you encounter another Astero hacking a site, it is more unlikely to have a cap module fitted because it needs the midslot for data/relic analyzers. In that case, you should be able to outtank it no matter what. But if you are the one who is getting engaged, than the the neut can win you the fight.

If you fight anything else from T1 exploration frig or T2 covert ops, just keep the scram and web on it and your drones will make a quick kill.
The neut is really optional if you can determine what you engage.

This is of course my personal preferance and other pilots might disagree for good reasons with it.

I was btw wrong about the cap boosters, they seem to have all the same fitting needs.

Another thing you might want to pay attention when hunting in wormhole space are the different effects in them. (You can check them with sites like anoik.is). Once I didn’t manage to kill another Astero which was fit for speed because I underestimated the effect of the wormhole. It just outran me because I had fit a relic analyzer instead of a web at the time.

OR you use a fit that can fight, align fast and do hacking at the same time, and do it well. Granted it can’t do both data AND relic but then Data kinda sucks compared to relics and takes up more cargo space.

It’s probably not going to win from a pure pvp fit, although most will use Warriors expecting armour tanked Asteros so it might work, but it’s well enough to take out the T1/T2 scanning frigs and the crappy fit Asteros.

[Astero, Astero Relics & combat]

Damage Control II
Nanofiber Internal Structure II
Nanofiber Internal Structure II

Medium F-S9 Regolith Compact Shield Extender
Warp Scrambler II
Relic Analyzer II

Core Probe Launcher II, Sisters Core Scanner Probe

Small Emission Scope Sharpener II
Small Core Defense Field Extender I
[Empty Rig slot]

Warrior II x5

Sisters Core Scanner Probe x24

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.