Ganker-antiGanker Exchange Week

'Cause that’s how the politicians work.

The gankers will gank the anti gankers ganking. That’s anti ganking , right?

If i didnt know for a fact that the rage tears would short out the servers, Id ask the ISDs to make another megathread. Like the AFK Cloak one.

At the time of posting there are six seperate ganking threads “active” right now, mostly churn and shiptoasting from the same alts and alts of alts just creating stupid drama.

And the funny thing is, any other topic and the lot of you would unanimously agree that all these open threads making much ado about nothing should be locked because no one needs special snowflake status.

But you do, right?

And we have to endlessly circle the barrel of the washing machine here, furiously staring at our navels. Soon someone else will post another “newbie retention” thread, oblivious to how insular most groups are, and how the forums make posting seem like the more entertaining prospect than playing.

Then James will make another alt and create a stupid thread to get locked inside of a dozen posts for trolling.

And we do it aaaallll over again.

1 Like

Back from the dead? James’s funeral was on 23 July 2020.

Nooooo. The endless cycle gets broken when Cilly gets so fed up with always finding that a certain miner is always AFK when she’s out ratting ( having now rescued him from npcs a dozen times ) that she calls in Safety to deal with him.

This has been the longest Ganker-antiGanker Exchange Week ever! :astonished:

2022-04-02-05-13-32 — ImgBB AFK Safety orca with some Blackflag orca alts. Name of orca fleet is FUKUNONWARDECCORPS lol Mine in hoona

Well someone needs to be SAFE in mining to get the stuff to build all those Catalysts and Thrashers. And 'Nados (mmmm…'Nado).

Ah, yes…another of those absurdities of Eve. Gankers despising the miners who mine the very ore their ganker ships are made out of.

Gankers LOVE (blowing up) MINERS.

I think we dismiss the complaints of players who get ganked in HS too lightly. We just assume it is all just crying because they lost a ship. But I don’t really think that is all of it. I’ve lost plenty of ships in each kind of space. When it’s in LS, NS, WH or Pochven, I walk away feeling satisfied that I had a fun gaming experience. I’m generally impressed with the clever strategy of the pirate. I often feel like I learned something. When I get ganked in HS, I’m just annoyed. I typically didn’t learn anything. I’m never impressed with anybody’s strategy. The actual experience of being ganked lasts literally 1 second. If piracy outside HS is a chess game, piracy in HS is a coin flipping game, at best.

Outside HS, you have all these tools at your disposal, few of which work in HS. For example, in LS, you can reasonably assume that everybody is hostile, so things like dscan are useful. In a WH, you might keep combat scanning probes up at the holes. In NS, you’re using perches and whatnot. There is just way more to it. In HS, it’s mostly just you have a choice between, for example, spending 4 hours hauling something in 8 loads, or spending 30 minutes hauling it all in one load and accepting that you ship might randomly blow up as a result… That isn’t a fun dynamic either way. It isn’t challenging, it isn’t interesting.

I think CCP needs to come up with ways to make it a more interesting mechanic. If that involves making it more dangerous, by all means, I’m down with that. But it shouldn’t be boring, and it shouldn’t be easy, for either side.

1 Like

All these tools are equally valid in HS too. As soon as you undock you are a potential target, so why would you treat HS any different to LS?

Ships don’t “randomly blow up”. They get ganked because the player was LAZY and didn’t check the available intel, scout the route, and didn’t pay attention to local and d-scan. Take responsibility for your (in)actions instead of expecting CCP to give you a more fun ganking experience.

3 Likes

Disagree. In LS, for example, there are few enough people that you can assume everybody is hostile and evade them. Much of HS is so heavily populated with people who are not actually hostile, that if you just assume everybody is hostile, you would be unable to do anything at all. You mention dscan, for example, as a tool you can use in HS. How would that work? There are always a ton of ships, and often combat probes on dscan in HS, when there is no actual threat.

This is how gankers always respond to this issue. You’re demonstrating what I’m explaining, talking about “taking responsibility” and whatnot… Nothing I’m saying has anything to do with responsibility or whatever lol. I’m talking about the game mechanic and whether it is fun, and you’re trying to shift the discussion back to something about fairness. I don’t think there is a fairness problem with the mechanic, I think there is a funness problem with the mechanic. You seem unfamiliar with the mechanic. That’s totally fine, of course. But IMO you shouldn’t discount the consistent complaints of the people who do have to play that mechanic- they all say the mechanic is terrible. They’re right. It is. It’s super boring.

1 Like

Not that it will put much of a kibosh on ganking, but having the ship insurance system actually reflect the “driving history” of the insured would ensure the consistent ganker pays higher premiums for the same coverage. Make it proportional to the number of kills by Concord. Real insurance would be like this.

1 Like

I was under the impression that any ship destroyed by Concord cannot claim insurance anyway.

Why mine when you can steal it instead?

1 Like

I don’t know. I always killed in high sec at war. That’s 95% gone. It makes sense that you shouldn’t get a payout if you purposely kamikazi your ship.

I wonder if this still applies if a person destroys their fellow ganker’s ships before Concord shows up.

Eh, I don’t really want to put a kibosh on ganking. I just want ganking, and evading ganking, to be more fun. I don’t really have a view on whether there should be more or less ganking, I just want more gameplay to it. More skill, more strategy, more excitement, for both sides. Maybe you should come out of the gate moving, for example, like with a station, so you can potentially set up insta bookmarks or warp to a fortunately placed celestial; but then to keep the balance, you make CONCORD slower to respond. Or maybe you create a better dynamic for anti-pirates to be able to clear out a gate camp. I dunno. Just doesn’t seem like a particularly fun mechanic as it stands.

3 Likes

They aren’t actually at the gate most of the time. In fact many times I have noticed them in a system and ( without scanner probes ) been unable to determine where they actually are. In all the times I’ve gone through a system with Safety in it, I’ve only ever once seen them directly at a gate in any numbers.