Gankers and freighters, a request for discussion. Not a BJ RANT

Simple how?
To implement?
Or as a concept to grasp?

While I might agree with the second, I would not with the first.
It might be ‘simpler’ than what Drac proposed, but I can’t believe it’s as simple as throwing a switch.

And no one has demonstrated that the risk to the warp mechanics being broken is not a viable concern.

–Gadget hates phoneforuming

3 Likes

Perhaps not, but its not rocket science either.

No one has demonstrated there would be a risk of warp mechanics being broken, either.

Such a white knight. Defend this poor bears you hero of the casual newb!!

And tell us again how you are not a white knight and how it is not about your feelings that ganking is not right.

But because you are too bad at EVE you try to counter this evil with crying to CCP for changes to the game. How nobel of you…

1 Like

I do not argue. So far, all you have is your agreement with yourself, and no guarantee that anyone will implement this. Considering the fact that there is no evidence that it is an actual problem (no, one guy bumping a few others for hours is not evidence of an actual problem), you really need luck to actually get your thing implemented.

Just declaring something does not bring change, and having a few voices whining for change (not counting you here) does not cause change anymore either.

We will see. vOv

1 Like

Perhaps, but we know that in order to change the interaction of bumping and warping, the warp mechanics would need to be tinkered with.

If the warp mechanics are messed with there is a definite possibility that things could go awry. It’s the probability that isn’t currently known (by us anyway).

However, if they are left alone, then there is no possibility that this change will cause them to mess up - because there IS no change.

Warp mechanics are too important of a mechanic to EvE to go messing about with without a very compelling reason. Player communications can be circumvented by third party clients - and regularly are. But without warping, EvE grinds to a halt.

And yes, the big disagreement is about whether ‘bumping’ is ‘broken’ enough to warrant the risk to warp mechanics. While I am not a fan of perma-bumping, I don’t feel that it is worth risking breaking the game for.

Too much risk for not enough gain.

–Gadget likes warping

3 Likes

Yeah. Sure. I know someone who was bumped for 5 days.

Stop speaking for others.

A bender at a strip club doesn’t count… actually, maybe it does… bumping and grinding - that’s gaming for you.

My problem is you guys always know some dude who knows of a guy bumped for N hours. It is also likely a load of crap.

2 Likes

It was an alliance mate who mentioned it, I’ve never had a problem being bumped more than 5 minutes but when I was talking about it - he spoke about his friend. I’ll get the details of the incident.

Wife bumped me for over 15yr eventually I just logged out.

2 Likes

Yes. He needs to make that alt. :sunglasses:

Yeah, it’s like those stories everyone tells some a friend experienced.

Around here you have to go to the military, and it is a bit of a second kindergarden. So everyone likes to tell stories about their time there and the silly stuff they did. In general its always about how idiotic an unorganized it is.

There is one story about someone call on the phone and telling that there is a tank in their barn for about a week now, because obviously they are so disorhanized they completely forgot a tank… I don’t know how many times I heared this story from completely different people, generations appart, and it was alway “a friend they know”.

So yeah, same with the bumped for 5h story… There is an incredible high probability this never hapened and he just repeats the story and to give it more credibility it was obviously his friend.

4 Likes

Exactly. Or fishing stories. Or hunting.

Actually, first time I’ve ever mentioned it - I quite imagine though, I could set a ship on approach and go AFK for 5 hours and bump until restart without even trying - so not impossible or improbable.

I guess AFK bumping, indefinitely - until restart is perfectly feasible and could qualify as harassment and if so - would be the likeliest reason to have bumping dealt with as a mechanic. Hence, your denial that such a thing probably actually does and did happen.

Why don’t you test that out. Every instance of bumping I know about is by a player manually flying their ship. Not clicking approach and then going AFK.

Uh-huh totally believe you… no one would ever indefinitely bump for a ransom… yeah right…

1 Like

Except this wouldn’t be effective.

You should jump on SiSi and try it. No need to imagine, as it’s actuslly easy to see.

Effective bumping requires good manual piloting, not AFK approach.

2 Likes

Bumping to control distance, placement off gate etc so as to avoid gate guns, delay concord time or whatever and push them 200 KM out I can see would require piloting skill. Bumping just to prevent warp (I have hid this done to me) just needs to interrupt the align which can be done AFK.