HiSec Moon Mining Created Content for Me

Y E S !!!

1 Like

I think he meant… you can’t tractor someone else’s jetcans unless they’re abandoning them, in which case… fair game!

Entertaining OP, OP, but yes… the potential content from this is probably one of the reasons CCP decided to let 0.5 sec HS have moon-mining Athanors along with WH space when they added that a few months after null+low got swapped over from passive POS moon mining to the present system.

1 Like

Oh but it’s quite simple!

Your “flipping ship” opens it’s inventory, and drops 1 unit of ammo into space to create a can.

Your Orca or secondary ships locks your can.

Your “flipping ship” then moves your target’s items from their can to your can. You are now suspect flagged.

Your Orca can now tractor your can.

Alternately, be in the same fleet as your Orca, and your Orca can tractor your can regardless of suspect status.

Oh boy, you mean I can cloaky camp LowSec mining operations?!

1 Like

Ohhhh, I gotcha now. Can flipping, from what I recall was a bit different under a previous version of crimewatch mechanics (but it was all before my time, I started playing at Odyssey, which is I believe when we got the current version of safeties and crimewatch and also the current version of scanning and the DD/BC skill split and all that good stuff). Mechanics change over the years, responding tactics change… and sometimes the same label is used for it. Gotcha.

Hey, you can cloaky camp whatever you want and wherever you want… but don’t hold your breath waiting for lowsec mining operations to just wander by. I’d concentrate on lowsec ice fields and any lowsec Athanors you can find.

1 Like

Yep, this works a treat!

Why mine yourself when lazy afk’ers can do it for you? :smiley:

2 Likes

After Action Report:

THE BATTLE OF 13.8.116

The sun cast rays of light between the asteroids, a dazzling prism of greys and orange. The mining lasers of my fleet were steadily chewing away at the Flawless Arkonor, filling the hold of the Orca. I sighed warily. Hostilities with the local pirate corporation, and their false prophet CEO, had cooled of late. Still, one had to be wary. Hostilities could renew at any moment if I mined the wrong rock, in the wrong place, at the wrong time.

But this was HiSec. These were James 315’s asteroids. There was no wrong rock, wrong place, or wrong time as long as one maintained faith and Code compliance. I could mine where I damned well please.

I spotted some Procurers and an Orca on DScan. They had been there for a while. I had paid them no mind but, as the Flawless Arkonor floating around the moon began to diminish, I knew what I would soon have to do. Aligning my fleet, I warped to the bookmark I had prepared earlier in the day, and steeled myself for what was to come. I had no choice. Time’s are tough for Code compliant miners, with all the bot aspirancy sucking up the asteroids as fast as they can spawn. This was a resource war, plain and simple. It was about survival. It was about principles. And I had no intention of losing.

It was time to kick the hornet’s nest. The Locals were about to find out just who the hell I was.

I warped to the mining beacon, and scanned the situation. Selecting the furthest rock I could, I settled into position 80km from the other miners, eyeing them warily. No one seemed to notice me. At first. It wasn’t long before alarm klaxons sounded; COLLISION! I had been tabbed to my Mining overview, trying to select the next cluster to warp to, and I hadn’t seen the Stabber land on grid with me. It was the same propless Stabber from before, gently nudging my Higg’s Anchored Orca 100 meters at a time. I ignored him and continued my work, but soon he was joined by a Cyclone and a Gila, and my Orca was soon ping ponged out of range.

I dropped jetcans, but to my dismay, I had forgotten to refit my Orca for tractor beams, and the command ship was out of range by now anyway. I had an Iteron V with a tractor on it, but the lock range was pitiful and the speed painful. Soon bumps rendered this impossible. There had to be another way. Soon their fleet would be engaging the same asteroids as me, stealing James 315’s precious Brilliant Gneiss. I had to think of a solution, fast. In the meantime, I would just keep warping out and back, repeatedly, to do what I could.

At this point the CEO, the false prophet of their organization, convo’d me and tried to engage in diplomacy. He asked about my fleet, where we were from, how long we played to stay. I explained to him that we planned to stay forever and spread the true faith of James 315. I said that I expected to be left alone, because every sin against my fleet would be repaid in kind: bumps for bumps, greif for grief, skulls for the skull throne.

He was not receptive to my message, explaining that, since they paid for the fuel, these were “their” asteroids. They were “kind enough” to allow use of their old asteroids (after they had choice pickings) to the public. But, as they needed to pay for fuel, it was important that they mine first, with only their corporation.

I explained that while I appreciated the cost of the fuel, CCP Fozzy, Patron Saint of Gameplay Balance, had ruled that players do not “own” any asteroid in space, they only own the station. I elaborated that there were billions of ISK worth of moon rocks in any given field, and that his corporation only mined, I estimated, 20% of the field. There was more than enough for them to mine on one side, and myself to mine on another. I explained that I was going to mine where I wanted, and if it happened to be a place they didn’t want me, that was just too bad.

His response was that they were their rocks and they had to pay for fuel. Also, having too many ships in the asteroid field is a problem.

-as if one cue, 6 more Procurers and 3 Hulks warp on grid, aiming their Strip Miner’s at the asteroid I’m harvesting-

I could see this was going to be one of those days.

I tried to play hardball, and said: “Alright fine, here’s the deal, you get to decide: We mine the same fields in peace, or, I can start mining your members’ asteroids when they’re by themselves, continue flipping their cans and stealing their ore, and bump with impunity. It’s your choice.”

He stated he had made his choice already: They were not going to stop. These were their rocks and they needed to pay for fuel. I could go mine somewhere else.

The asteroid field had been filling up more and more at this point. There were 2 Charons, multiple Orcas, Procurers everywhere, and bumping ships. My PvP overview was an absolute mess of carebear garbage. A local commented that they were sitting cloaked nearby watching, and had not seen so many people in the fields at once. I began to suspect that a CTA had been called - or rather, a CTM. I could imagine it:

Attention all pilots! This is not a drill! Repeat, this is not a drill! Mandatory fleet operation - all bodies online and in barges. Someone is mining our moon rocks!

During this time, the solution to my Iteron V problem came in the form of an accident. I was trying to search my assets for a prop mod. Derping out of sheer distraction at this damnably stubborn fool of a CEO, I actually typed “prop” into the search box, but mistyped it. And then, there was the answer staring back at me.

Porpoise.

Purpose.

Racing back from Amarr, I knew time was against me. James 315’s sacred ores float helpless in the confines of my fragile jetcans, vulnerable to theft from the dirty pirates. I landed on grid… a sigh of relief. They were still on grid and within tractor range. Safely in my hold, I warped my Porpoise out to offload and return.

The next 30 minutes consisted of ferrying ore from friendly miners, via tractored jetcans, to the Orca, which was being bumped increasingly further and further away by 3 Machariels, one of which piloted by the CEO himself. But then a friendly Local pointed out to me:

“Hey dumbface. The Porpoise is an industrial command ship. It has an ore hold.”

Oh. My. God.

YES.

It took me a few minutes to figure it out, but I had the answer now. The absolute answer to their harassment.

The Porpoise would orbit the rock at 2,500, and MicroWarp Drive back if bumped off. The Procurers would orbit at 10,000, and drop jetcans when full. This would ensure that they would not be bumped by the poorly piloted Machariels (who only flew in straight lines), and would be within boost and tractor range of the Porpoise.

I was moving into position, my speed towards the asteroid increased by the Stabber that kept bumping my aft (thanks, bud!) when suddenly bursts of light exploded on my screen, and I heard the familiar “thump thump thump” of ships exiting warp. I looked at the small white triangles in recognition: Catalysts. At least 8 Catalysts had warped to my position, the Stabber providing the navigational point.

I had to think fast, as flashing yellow boxes began to litter the space around me. I engaged my MicroWarp Drive, hoping to burn out of their range, and began overheating my hardeners, suddenly doubtful of my generous dual hull/shield tank. As the distance between myself and the destroyer fleet increased, I noticed that none of them were flashing red. Was this just a scare tactic? Or freshly minted, 1 million SP Buddy Invite alpha gank alts?

Red sirens screamed as my Porpoise came under fire and my MWD was scrambled. I was trapped, unable to warp or increase my speed to get away. But luckily, only 3 of the Catalysts engaged, and from 8km away. How do safeties work, anyway? No need to learn that stuff - after all, CONCORD will protect all! Local filled with laughter from onlookers, cloaked and otherwise, who had gathered over the hours to witness the battle of bumps and jetcans. CONCORD arrived and purged the false agents, and I was granted with a remarkable gift: A kill right on my enemy corporation’s diplomat. He had tried to suicide gank me on his main, and failed, and now, for the next 30 days, he would be mine.

For the next 2 hours, all the hostiles could do was try to mine the same rocks I was mining, hoping to “discourage” me to go somewhere else. I picked the largest rocks I could, and spread lasers, and ignored everyone else around me. James 315 had delivered me to Grace, and my ore holds were filling faster than I could keep up with.

Before I docked up for the day, I was given one final gift: A full flight of ‘Augmented’ Valkyrie drones that one of my enemies had neglected to recall before warping out of the field. I happily scooped them up, and noted their value at about 130 million ISK.

Say, isn’t that how much it costs to fuel a single refinery for a month?

…the saga continues…

10 Likes

So where’s the in-game screenshots of this Fleet, their convo’s, KM’s, etc? Post links or it never happened.

Other than that, nice bit of fiction writing.

On the old forums people would get in trouble for posting killboards and screenshots of conversations. I haven’t been able to find any “forum guidelines” so I really don’t want to start getting warnings over that kind of thing, TBH. Maybe an ISD can weigh in?

EDIT: Okay found it -

9. Use of kill reports & chatlogs to troll & flame is prohibited.

Pilots are permitted to post chatlogs and kill reports on the EVE Online forums if it adds to and is relevant to ongoing discussion, however this may not be done to flame, troll, insult, shame or bait other corporations other pilots.

Ehhh I’m kind of iffy about it.

Yeah that’s ok man, I understand.

Just checked zkillboard and the last action posted for you was on Aug 6, 2019 in -0.1 LXQ2-T system, Etherium Reach. The only High Sec entry was posted on March 17, 2019 in 1.0 Amarr system, Domain where you lost a Catalyst to Concord. All other entries are either in Low or Null Sec space.

Anyway, still a good piece of fiction writing. Should probably post a series in the ‘Fiction Portal’ forum.

I fail to see how this is somehow evidence that I’m lying?

This is a somewhat obvious attempt at goading me into giving you information that you want for some reason.

Yeah, risking 0 ISK and still talking like big man… :ok_hand:

1 Like

Awesome!

We need more of this.

Back to the good times.

3 Likes

Oh absolutely.

Nothing beats emergent, player driven content.

I’m told that the locals I’m competing with are also enjoying the content - at least some of them anyway. I’m not sure if that’s true, or if that’s just what they want me to think. I hope some of them are really enjoying the content. I like to imagine them staying subbed because of me. :hugs: I also hope some of them are smashing their desks in frustration. :japanese_ogre:

I’ve been contacted by a few interested parties, both from Local and from the forums. They’re thinking of setting up mining operations here. I would really love to see that; dozens of non-affiliated mining barges in the moon fields, mining with impunity, while the CEO can do nothing but watch his profits siphoned away on the Mining Ledger. Ahhhh :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Id like to send an undercover IEEE investigation team

1 Like

In-game mail sent.

1 Like

@DeMichael_Crimson
This is 100% non-fiction, unless you look at the fact that it’s a game, this did indeed happen and is beautifully written, the cloaked spectator in the “The Battle of 13.8.116” happened to be me, and the guy who fed him intel in the first place in private convo also happened to be me.

I’m no killboard expert and I got better things to do, but I don’t know how people can avoid having their losses (read: failed ganks) show up on it, but at lest 1 of the 3 guys who failed to gank do show up in the systems killboard.

@Xuixien
Keep fighting the good fight brother! You have my support, even tho I gave up mining for other activities.

5 Likes

Bullshite, once the characters API info is logged into the system, that’s all done automatically.

I have never submitted a loss from player or NPC engagement yet those are all listed on my board.

Since you seem to agree with me, why the

1 Like

After your API info is entered into the system, you can’t pick and choose which KM will be posted to the board.

There really needs to be a way to flag posts that have been inappropriately flagged to expedite the inevitable ISD review and unflagging.

The irresponsible, weaponized flagging has really gotten out of control around here.

2 Likes