Hookbill pvp fit for FW: advice needed!

Any opinion/suggestion for this Caldari Navy Hookbill fit?
FWI I wanna use this for faction warfare novice plex farming, so bare in mind it needs to be a 1v1 pvp anti-frigate fit

[Caldari Navy Hookbill]

Damage Control II

1MN Afterburner II (or 5MN Microwarpdrive II?)
Stasis Webifier II x2
Warp Disruptor II (or Warp Scrambler II?)

Rocket Launcher II ×3 all with t2 advanced rockets

Small Warhead Flare Catalyst II rig (+20% explosion velocity)
Small Warhead Calefaction Catalyst II rig (+15% dmg)

CPU is at 95% with this fit so I can’t add anything without removing something.
3rd rig won’t fit cause I’m using all calibration points.
Not sure which one to choose between AB/MWD and warp disruptor/scrambler.

The overall plan would be to web and disrupt/scramble the ship, orbit pretty close like 5k meters as long as it’s within range of my rockets and overheat modules if necessary.

Is it gonna work? Overall it’s an expensive fit (compared to t1 frigates that cost few hundred thousands isk) I need something that will win most times.

I already have all maxed out the relevant skills for the Hookbill so I’m not interested in any other ship atm.

Always fill every mid slot and low slot. In this case you need a Small Ancillary Armor Repairer to stay alive.

5MN is not an alternative to 1MN in this kind of fit, you can go dualprop with both modules but that would be a fit for nullsec. Don’t ever use a T2 MWD over its meta variants (Quad-LiF, Cold-Gas, Y-T8) as the gain in speed is miniscule in comparison to compromises made on cap life and fitting.

For a web kiting fit you could do a disruptor, in this case scram uses less fitting and cap while also keeping you safer against MWD kiters.

just no
You could do all bulkheads, in combination with the SAAR that will give you a mid-range tank.

Use meta stasis webifiers.

Against brawling opponents, orbit at 8-9 km, against scram kiters or kiters orbit 500-1000 m. Try to exploit overheating as much as you can on the launchers, propulsion module and repairer.

Don’t fly what you can’t afford to lose, blah blah blah.
No ship wins fights by itself, it’s up to you to know your engagement profile, execute your plans and stay alive.
Dual web Hookbill is a strong ship that will win against many frigate fits and has the ability to disengage from fights if things aren’t turning out well. It’s also not supposed to be too expensive, so consider your income sources if you feel like you can’t sustain multiple losses.

3 Likes

First of all thanks a lot!
Just a few questions:

1. what do you mean by “meta variants”? I believe you mean those variants between t1 and t2 but how do I choose one among the others?
  2. I see you basically recommend a armor tank (saar plus bulkheads), but don’t caldari ships have stronger shield tank? Rather than repair armor shouldn’t I go for some shield booster/extender/repairer?
  3. why are t2 variants so inconvenient? Shouldn’t they be the best there is? If the gain is little in comparison to the much higher fittong requirements then it doesn’t seem like an alternative anyone would go for.
  4. isnt there an average good orbiting distance? Cause I dunno how to tell the difference between a brawler and a kite until it’s too late. Shall I pick let’s say 3km?
  1. right click on the module > show info > variations and click on the bottom button “compare”: you check the boxes of the characteristics that you want to compare (cpu, powergrid etc) and you can compare

2. man you have no tank at all. You use your mid slots for web etc. How do you wanna win a fight without any tank at all?

3. compare, using the comparison tool (see 1)
    t2 give better bonuses but with largely higher demand on cpu/powergrid
    in some situations the bonus you get from t2 is significant

4. no
    no
    no there is no “average”
    as there is no ship which “will win most times”

eve is a scissor paper stone type of pvp, which means that in some situations a certain type of ship with a certain fit will probably win, but it will loose in a different situation (range, etc) against a different ship type

May i kindly suggest you to join a (FW) corp, because it seems to me that

1. you don’t know the basics (meta modules, tank, kite/brawl, etc)
  2. your isks income seems low , since you find your fit expensive

You will find there friends, advices, fits etc

Since you seem to have the willingness to learn and improve, i send you some isks to help you to start. Go and whelp some ships!

edit: unable to find you in game. Cannot send you the isks. Many “zagor”

When you say I have no tank at all, that’s not really an answer to my question. There’s armor tank and shield tank. The user above was suggesting to put an armor repair module and my question was whether I should go for shield tank instead.

Or both…

[Caldari Navy Hookbill, CNH Dual-rep]

IFFA Compact Damage Control
Small Ancillary Armor Repairer, Nanite Repair Paste

1MN Afterburner II
Fleeting Compact Stasis Webifier
Warp Scrambler II
Medium Ancillary Shield Booster, Navy Cap Booster 50

Rocket Launcher II, Scourge Rage Rocket

Small Bay Loading Accelerator II
Small Transverse Bulkhead I

Thanks for the offer! Don’t worry about the isk, i have a few hundred million isk so I’ll be fine, but yea on this toon i don’t really have an other income so i count on dying the least possible (what a plan right? lol)

Btw, I kinda put together all advice i got so far here and on the fb group and this is what i came up with:

[Caldari Navy Hookbill, hookbill 2]

Damage Control II
Mark I Compact Reinforced Bulkheads

1MN Y-S8 Compact Afterburner
5MN Y-T8 Compact Microwarpdrive
Initiated Compact Warp Disruptor

Rocket Launcher II
Rocket Launcher II
Rocket Launcher II

Small Transverse Bulkhead II

Scourge Rage Rocket x465
Ballistic Control System II x1
Rocket Launcher II x1
Stasis Webifier II x1

I thought it was better to go hull tanking for the simple reason that it negatively affects cargo capacity (rather than speed or other relevant factors), which is the least useful trait of my ship since it’s a pvp one.
With all modules I reach a total of 1728 hp which is considerably higher than before. However I don’t have any shield or armor tanking. I had to choose one of them and i went for hp.
Another reason why i didn’t chose the armor repairer is because it was considerably reducing the time i could keep all modules up and running down to mere 30 sec or so. Now i can use ALL active modules (launchers, AB, webifiers and disruptor) and still remain stable. Only if i switch to the MWB my capacitor usage speed goes to 1 min and 10 sec, which should still be fine.

By using the compact versions of modules in the mid slots i was able to fit everything i was recommended, including double webifier and both AB and MWD

I’m using all slots available, and my CPU usage is at the very maximum so i don’t feel like i’m wasting potential.
I feel like this is an improvement over the very first fit but i’m still willing to hear different opinions about it! TY

This fit tanks more and has additional EWAR

[Caldari Navy Hookbill, ROC 9 1 -TD]

Small Ancillary Armor Repairer, Nanite Repair Paste

Warp Scrambler II
Tracking Disruptor II

Rocket Launcher II
Rocket Launcher II
Rocket Launcher II

This fit tanks about as much and deals more damage (a bit tight even for my all V fitting char though)

[Caldari Navy Hookbill, ROC 9 1 -SHIELD]

Crosslink Compact Ballistic Control System

1MN Afterburner II
Warp Scrambler II
Medium F-S9 Regolith Compact Shield Extender

Rocket Launcher II
Rocket Launcher II
Rocket Launcher II

Small Ancillary Current Router I
Small Core Defense Field Extender I
Small Core Defense Field Extender I

In the end, whatever fit you end up choosing, just put it out there and see how it turns out. I can tell you why that fit is suboptimal but it isn’t going to be any use when you don’t have the experience to go on. You see how the fight ends up, you iterate on your fit to get better results so on and so forth until you have an understanding of what is needed and what is not.

would take a ship with 130 DPS fifteen seconds to burn through. We use the EHP number instead because that takes resistances into account. In that case, your Hookbill should have an EHP of 4-5k at least. This fitting tool will allow you to see that number and offer wider functionality in terms of finding your way around fits.

:confused:

also here is a prototype Hookbill

[Kestrel, ROC 9 1]

Damage Control II
400mm Rolled Tungsten Compact Plates

Stasis Webifier II
Stasis Webifier II
Warp Scrambler II

Rocket Launcher II
Rocket Launcher II
Rocket Launcher II
Rocket Launcher II

Small Trimark Armor Pump I

I really like the second “tanky” version! The only thing is: don’t I need a mwd AND an ab? I was told that since this is a brawling fit, i need to get in range of the webifiers and scrabler asap, hence the mwd.
Anyway, if i keep your fit but i downgrade the AB and scrabler from t2 to the t1 compact version, i would get enough CPU to upgrade the medium shield extender to t2 and gain 200 extra hp up. Do you consider this better or the t2 version of afterburner and scrambler are too good to pass? Would you also recommend exchanging the ballistic control system for extra armor? This fit below which combines the 2 you suggested has 8786 ehp. I’m just wondering if it deals enough punch to win by attrition…

[Caldari Navy Hookbill]
Damage Control II
100mm Rolled Tungsten Compact Plates

Initiated Compact Warp Scrambler
Medium Shield Extender II

Rocket Launcher II
Rocket Launcher II
Rocket Launcher II

Small Ancillary Current Router I
Small Core Defense Field Extender II
Small Core Defense Field Extender II

Regarding the prototype, oddly enough it seems not “legal” as i run out of power grid even tho i have maxed relevant skills. Plus it does seem to me extremely slow compared to the variants you suggested, and too easy to kite.

You did not, check out Advanced Weapon Upgrades, it should be trained to 4. Also a fitting deficit of 0-2% is acceptable thanks to implants (1% implants cost <1m, 2% cost 5-6m), 3-5% cost a fair bit higher.

Dual T2 webs work to negate that to some extent. If a good kiter catches you in a good position, any AB ship will die. If you compromise to counter that -Kestrel would be still too slow to pose a threat- you need to sacrifice some of your capability as a brawler. Use the most optimal ship at hand for certain situations and learn to avoid the rest. No ship does everything well.

No I wouldn’t. 100mm also is not a module that carries its weight. More importantly do not mix buffer tanks. Neither active tanks, but there are a few exceptional cases which you’ll find out later.

The extra range and speed have practical value in a fight, 200 EHP just sits there.

You keep finding many theoretical questions. What you need to do is get out there find out the answers yourself- either take one of my fits and skip reinventing the wheel or one with your own spin and learn that way.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.