Hulk vs Covetor, Mackinaw vs Retriever

Procs and Skiffs are the tanks, but with lower yields. Hulks and Covs are paper thin but have a greater bonus. I warp out and grab the carrier if ratts come in, its faster. Blap, blap, back to mining. Also use the test server, that will give you all the math you need.

Carrier is risky just for Mining anomalies rats… .and overkill.
A VNI is clearly enough. Unless its a capital spawn :wink:

even procs’ drones are enough.

not again battleships, they like to stay out of range of your drones :wink:

Except Angel Cartel BS, apparently those Machariels hulls like to get close and personal ^^

But I think a solo procurer can deal with battleships spawn (as long as it’s not an officer). It’s about 170 DPS with Hobgoblins II and twin DDA II, for a yield a bit over 1000m3/s.

And like I said it’s when you’re solo mining. A Porpoise, even if it doesn’t have the Procurer’s tank, can put pretty big DPS on the table (I don’t have the numbers with me). An Orca or even Rorqual are far enough for that.

I was always a fan of this setup using a porpoise with his hulk friends… Sorry I dont have a fit like this for the other barges, we just dont bother mining with anything else which gives us less performance.

This would be for empire mining, high, low, or null, even wh space… with a RR porpoise.

[Hulk, 1]

Modulated Strip Miner II_2, Arkonor Mining Crystal II
Modulated Strip Miner II_2, Arkonor Mining Crystal II

Survey Scanner II_2
Domination EM Ward Amplifier_2
Domination Thermal Dissipation Amplifier_2
Republic Fleet Medium Shield Extender_2

Mining Laser Upgrade II_2

Medium Ancillary Current Router II_2
Medium Processor Overclocking Unit

[Porpoise,]

Mining Foreman Burst II_2
Mining Foreman Burst II_2
Gistum C-Type Medium Remote Shield Booster_2
Gistum C-Type Medium Remote Shield Booster_2

Pithum C-Type Thermal Dissipation Amplifier_2
Pithum C-Type EM Ward Amplifier_2
Gist X-Type Large Shield Booster_2
10MN Monopropellant Enduring Afterburner_2

Capacitor Flux Coil II_2
Capacitor Flux Coil II_2

Medium Capacitor Control Circuit I_2

Hornet EC-300, 15
Acolyte I, 5
Mining Drone I, 5

Mining Laser Field Enhancement Charge, 6465
Mining Laser Optimization Charge, 6914

You can swap a few modules to make it less expensive, maybe use an asb booster if you want? the hulk does require a 2% powergrid implant as well… to fit the MSE.

Those looks like they can do a lot of mining ^^
But yeah, currently I have more important things to train, so Reprocessing Efficiency V to access the T2 crystals is a bit far away for now ^^

Clearly mining has gotten a loy more complicated since i last did it! This is all seemingly a lot more complex than i thought… i just head out to a belt wait for my hold to be full.

Edit:

This ‘moon mining’ everyone keeps mentioning. Is this more a corporation thing or is it something a single player in high sec can do to make isk?

You set up a Citadel in orbit of a moon. Then you fit a module to the Citadel which starts using a ubermega mining laser on the moon. After some set amount of time (often a week or two), an asteroid field spawns right next to your Citadel full of rocks (the good stuff) that were dredged up from the moon. Then you head out and mine those asteroids just like you would any other belt.

but does that not also mean that someone can just come along and poach your asteroids? Furthermore, do you have to set up the citadel every week or is it just something you set up once and it spawns an asteroid field repeatedly without further input?

Yes, anyone can see your Citadel in space (it has a marker on Overview) and they can come mine your rocks. That just means you need to time the spawn to coincide with your schedule so the belt appears on the days you have time to devote to mining them.

Operating the mining laser requires fuel, just like the old POS needed fuel to run stuff. So yes, you need to maintain the setup. It runs itself, but you set up the schedule, and make sure the fuel tanks are good. If it runs out of fuel, it will stop mining the moon. And it will be easier to destroy if someone wants to wardec you and kill it.

Meh sounds too time consuming! I’ll stick to my cadual mining i think in my mac

Normally I say a wormbear should never fly exhumers without defense on standby, however you live in a C1 so you have the advantage that most people are not cycling C1s.

So in a C1, it’s debatable. It depends on how capable your Corp is.

This is all I have to go by since I don’t know you, so I say no to exhumers for you. Why? Well you should be closing it, not watching it. You are not a daytripper so you should have tools+pilots to safely close it quickly. I’m not sure that your Corp actually knows what it’s doing if they can’t lock down the wh. In short, your concern should only be new signatures (possible k162) and what is potentially in system waiting.

Let’s say I am your enemy today in w-space. If I identify a group that consistently loses mining ships and has lackluster kills on record, I may be inclined to log off some things in your wh… especially if it’s a static highsec one. You will hear nothing come in the next day when I engage with something like a Stratios backed up by a Brutix. Or let’s say I open a k162 and I engage and we follow up with t3 destroyers.

If you are usually alone, without any real defense/support/experience, then you may as well fly a warp stabbed procurer. Exhumer kills are just so tasty, don’t be a delicious target. :smirk:

Anyone, not you specifically, that mainly mines is better off in nullsec tbh. Fly those hulks and rorquals there where you have real support and tons to mine and produce

1 Like

That is more to the point when it comes to moon mining. As a casual miner, why would you mine any place else?

There is nothing you can find in a hi sec belt or anom, or in a low sec belt or anom, that you cannot find a higher version of in a 0.5 moon ore belt. It is the best of both worlds, with a lot less risk than low sec mining.

As you said yourself, there is nothing to stop you casually mining any of these moon belts. You just drift through your local 0.5 systems, find out which moons are currently active / have stuff in belts you want, and off you go.

Belts typically last 2 days once produced (can be longer if owner spends money on rigs) and the shortest possible “spawn” time is a new belt every six days. So, just bookmark ones with good ores and float back every week or so.

1 Like

Just seems a bit underhanded to profit off of someone elses work at producing those belts.

Nothing underhanded about it. They have a mining ledger and can see precisely how much you mine. It is therefore up to them to stop you (no-one ever does) or for you to come to a financial arrangement with them upfront.

A lot of people leave “tips” but you can just as easily fix a %. Otherwise, there are systems where free moon mining is advertised, together with ore buy back. The hope is that enough people will mine and sell back so that the owners (usually of multiple belts) can both cover their costs and make a profit based on their perfect refining skills. It’s a low margins / high volume numbers game for them.

So, it can be done without impacting your in-game morals.

Thanks you !
Sincerely, even if you place yourself as the “big bad guy that eat poor miners for breakfast”, it’s still helping ^^
My corpmates taught me how to mine safely in wormhole space, so now unless someone like you said leave a big PVP ship logged off in the wormhole and come back to harvest whoever is mining, I can assume I’m safe as long as I have a scout on every connections and an eye on the probe scanner for new sigs :slight_smile:

But of course closing wormholes that won’t be used by the corporation will allow me to use more miners at the same time. I explain myself : I have four characters, two which can operate Exhumers, one that could but doesn’t have the skill injected, and a fleet booster (Orca for really calm days, otherwise Porpoise). My full setup is three Covetors (not using Hulks since my little accident…) and an Industrial Command ship. For each wormholes in our system, I take out a Covetor and use the pilot as a scout, and I don’t mine if I only have the booster left. If I want to improve my mining yield, I’ll have to use rolling ship to close connections, but I want to know : what is a good rolling ship please ? And is there a way to be sure one of my character won’t be locked outside ?

Thanks !

1 Like

I think you mean ‘improve safety’… :smirk:

A heavy interdictor cruiser bubbler, while active, will reduce ship mass size
You must have your corp teach you because for a C1 (rolling C1s is awful) this can take practice and experience to get it right. In a C1 you “should” want to use a Phobos (ideal) or Broadsword (exactly at limit)

C1 jump mass limit is 20,000,000…So if a 10mn afterburner adds 5,000,000 mass and a broadsword is 15,000,00 then you can go out very small sized with bubbles on, then come back at the 20,000,000 limit by jumping back with your 10mn ab on. Obviously you would “want” to have at least TWO interdictor pilots because C1s take too long to close (jump timers + low 20kk mass limit). In a C2 and up you could have jumped back at 60,000,000+ size using 100mn ab interdictor and be finished quickly

again its VERY hard to explain this on the forums, this type of thing needs to be talked about and questions should be asked. In a lot of ways a C1 is best for day trippers or a handful of experienced people with the right skills

I would start by reading this if you need to no more about closing ( I cannot explain everything in a forum post ) I think its best to join a corp that can teach you and help you, there is alot to wormhole space. It definitely takes a lot of knowledge, skills, and practice…

“A useful property of Warp Disruption Field Generators (bubbles) is that they reduce ship mass by 80% and these reductions stack. A rolling HIC with 4 bubbles and prop mod off has less mass than a frigate.”
https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Wormhole_Campus_Static_Rolling_Guide

Thanks again !
Sadly I don’t have any of my four characters near a HIC, so I’ll use the good ol’ Amarr cruiser with armor plates and afterburner ^^

1 Like

That will always leave you with something like a 50% chance of getting stuck out, just because its a C1. If you have alot of pilots in your corp you would have better odds with 10mn Merlins tbh, until you get 2+ HICs

plus merlins are much cheaper to toss out on a regular basis