Introducing Quasar

All of ESI has been in Kube from the beginning. I think we adopted Kube just as it hit 1.0. Then each of the features mentioned in the blog post have had some aspect in Kube as well.

3 Likes

I did not understand everything that was said in the dev blog, but I am very happy to see improvements on Eve. More network messages and communication happening faster is great for an online game such as Eve. Good work CCP. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

But I do have a concern. You show a screenshot of the Activity Tracker as one of the new features ā€œto take advantage of the new ability to work with New Eden with modern standardsā€ā€¦

The reason I am worried is that the Tracker has been the 1 thing in the game that went on the fritz the most! Somewhere between maybe 10-20% of my log-ins the Tracker would not work, and required a re-log-in. Otherwise it would keep pinging me over and over for stuff that was completed long ago. So I hope not all the new features will be as buggy.

3 Likes

Sequencing and quality of service are definitely considered in the grand scheme of things. This is why simulation frame data will be an interesting exploration. :smiley:

2 Likes

The Activity Tracker was the first player facing feature to use Quasar in itā€™s infancy (before we really knew it would be what it is today).

There are a lot of things we want to change around that behavior to use the more mature aspects of Quasar, because they simply didnā€™t exist at that time.

4 Likes

Thank you for the reply and for explaining. Happy to hear you are working on fixes. Thank you. :slight_smile:

Hehe, just donā€™t add more other bugs with the fixes. :wink:

12 Likes

OK all well and good.But first things first forget the new bling and go back and optimize what we got now then worry about the latest toy.

nWXa8aI
Chat System

9 Likes

And this is news that - although its content for such a layman in the field of IT is rather complicated - makes me happy and hopefully will bring a lot of good for the game and players. After all, how not to be happy about improving the efficiency of data flow, right?

I wish you continued success in optimizing Quasar, CCP.

2 Likes

It was a nice read but I couldnā€™t resist :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

21 Likes

They cant deep-6 pos code aka ā€œlegacy codeā€ as it is entwined into other things in eve aswell. : (

Work continues on clearing the table by refurbishing many old services which provides two vectors of momentum: build up more foundational capabilities for Quasar in terms of manipulating more than just Skill Plans in the universe, and normalize ancient systems to pave the way for faster iteration.

Tl dr :rofl:

1 Like

Oh yeah, thereā€™s that nerd crap I fuckinā€™ live for. I donā€™t understand it, but I love it.

For all its flaws, Eve is to this day doing techno voodoo on miraculous scales, doing what absolutely no other online game has ever gotten even remotely close to, and the technomages over at CCPā€™s Nerd Division deserve a whole lot of love for it. As I said elsewhere, I donā€™t think people really appreciate just how massive an aggregate QoL upgrade it is if you can shave off a millisecond or two off of every personā€™s market search, or make Dame Derpā€™s corp history loadable without crashing the client, etc. Itā€™s impressive stuff, and Iā€™m looking forwards to see where else you lot go in the quest for server insanity.

Justā€¦ you knowā€¦ when you do make it so you donā€™t have to reboot TQ every time the chat goes wonky, do remember that chat still needs to be fixed when it does, yeah?

7 Likes

Does this mean you wonā€™t be reverting the hideous new skill window?

I presume because this is the test bed for technology that is essential because you still havenā€™t worked out how to stop Eve being n+1 when it comes to substantial fleet fights.

I am new to Eve Online and I am simply amazed at the number of large fleet size battles. Bear in mind that in most games I have played, they do most of the large fights in separate instances/raids with a max of 50 or so players. Here in Eve, I read that the battles involve thousands! Wow! It appears CCP is trying to address the challenges associated with a one server game with tens of thousands of players that is now two decades old. I saw some of the troll comments about CCP needing to get better developersā€¦they need to look around and realize just how special a game this appears to be. And I am also fascinated that the RP comes naturallyā€¦the game is creating it itself as it rolls on. Well done!

5 Likes

The only way to prevent n+1 in a war is to introduce a player cap.
Then it just becomes yet another dull example of instanced PvP, like a football game.

2 Likes

Fantastic, now when do we get a chat server that can stay stable for more than 5mins?

2 Likes

So I hope I understand correctly and havent overlooked if this was mentionedā€¦:

Are there any concrete plans to move any existing gameplay features (that are currently handled by TQ) over to Quasar to relieve the single thread GIL bottleneck thingy and improve performance for core gameplay? (specifically for 9,000 player stuff)

Or are you currently only focusing on developing new features specifically using Quasar?

Things that come to mind: sharable stuff like overview/fleet settings, bookmarks, mail system, ressources like item and mission texts/descriptionsā€¦
Of course I have absolutely no idea if any of that is even feasible/worth to reimplement (cost/benefit wise) on Quasar, you guys must have had better ideasā€¦

You mean some things can be done only on client side? Wonā€™t it produce more problems like desynchronization?

I now know why the Skill Plan UI was such a cluster fā€¦ of oversized pixels.