Is there any alternative to the Kronos?

This is the Kronos fit you should be using. For Guristas missions, drop the grappler for a LMJD. For Worlds, drop one tracking computer for a LMJD. Note that this fit was a lot cheaper 3 weeks ago…

• Stick with Null and Void (you gain little with Faction ammunition except a higher operating cost).
• The grappler will let you hit cruisers and frigates under 5km (switching to tracking scripts won’t cut it). Bastion is already stacking-penalized with a pair of tracking computers so you gain little from a third (which is why the grappler is more powerful - and a better choice over a stasis web).
• Faction Caldari Hornets for better speed, tracking and shield replenishment. T2 Hammerheads for piling the damage on after enemy frigates are cleared out.
• Implants, implants, implants. You can run the usual suspects for boosters (DB5, etc.) but they’re typically not needed. I like Ogdin, RF-905 and LH-1005.

[Kronos, Kronos]

Neutron Blaster Cannon II, Null L
Bastion Module I
Small Tractor Beam II
Small Tractor Beam II
Salvager II

Gist X-Type 500MN Microwarpdrive
Tracking Computer II, Optimal Range Script
Shadow Serpentis Heavy Stasis Grappler

Shadow Serpentis Magnetic Field Stabilizer
Corelum A-Type Energized Thermal Membrane
Core X-Type Large Armor Repairer
Reactive Armor Hardener
Corelum A-Type Energized Kinetic Membrane

Large Hybrid Burst Aerator II
Large Hybrid Metastasis Adjuster I

Caldari Navy Hornet x10
Hammerhead II x5

Just wanted to add cheapier, cap stable version with a bit better damage and application , that posses tank still enough for serpentis L4 missions…
[Kronos, PvE bombs]

Armor Thermal Hardener II
Federation Navy Magnetic Field Stabilizer
Tracking Enhancer II
Corpus X-Type Large Armor Repairer
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II

Dark Blood Heavy Capacitor Booster, Navy Cap Booster 800
Large Micro Jump Drive
Heavy Stasis Grappler II

Neutron Blaster Cannon II, Void L
Caldari Navy Large Graviton Smartbomb
Bastion Module I
Salvager II
Caldari Navy Large Graviton Smartbomb

Large Hybrid Metastasis Adjuster I
Large Hybrid Burst Aerator II

Hammerhead II x5

How does the addition of a smartbomb enhance damage or application? (smartbombs in high-sec are an easy way to introduce yourself to CONCORD) You then trade range for tracking and double down by switching to Void ammunition (20km outside of Bastion, tops). And last but not least, you dispense with a flight of light drones and downgrade the faction grappler to T2 (the grappler still won’t let you hit every frigate, even with the bump to tracking).

If you have the right tank you don’t need a cap booster. The passive fit I posted will yield thermal and kinetic resistances in the 90’s, meaning you only need to pulse your armor rep when needed. The reactive armor hardener also makes it viable for Drone, Blood Raider and Sansha missions.

You are right about CONCORD and high sec. Since MTU can do the job, I believe bombs serve better, than tractor beams on a ship, that stands still with bastion turned on.
By better application I thought better tracking with tracking enhancer instead of tracking computer, scripted for optimal. But you can switch scripts in your computers, getting better optimal or better tracking. So I may be wrong here.
Factional grappler gives 1 km in falloff and 2% of speed reduction in optimal. Which from my point of view does not justify 100 milions ISK througn at it.
Overall, Kronos still seem to be not as good as Rattlesnake for high sec L4 missions, at least not for that 2.5 billions price tag.

indeed, Kronos is the most viable hybrid platform imo. The range bonuses, and then bastion on top just make it work. Vindi I always loved the concept of, but I prefer it as a pvp blasterboat, just never really got a build I was happy with in pve.

you are only stuck in place for a minute, easy to position and blap everything, then swap to null and finish the rest off, or reposition and keep working through ships.

I admit I only use it for a few missions but bastion doesn’t seem like a drawback at all. And the more you use it the more used to it you get, so you will learn how to use it. Well that and you don’t have to use bastion, if you need to stay mobile just don’t use it.

I find the Kronos superior to RS mainly for 3 reasons:

1. Single source of dps (blasters) that is instantaneous vs. dual source of RS dps (drones+missles) that is delayed in delivery to target
  2. Cargo bay,tractor beam bonus,bastion allows maximum return for effort for my style of mission running (full clear).
    At the highest level, SALVAGE alone can run 20m+ Combines with loot,bounties, and mission pay to generate reasonable income.
  3. My main NPC opponets are weak against K/T and my missions generate tons of LP which I can freely spend on turning the ammo I make into faction ammo with
    plenty LP left over. I think I am at over 24m in LP atm.

i use the Kronos since many month with great pleasure. To be honest, the Kronos is Overpower for those L4’s sadly.

[Kronos, Kronos]

Bastion Module I
Small Tractor Beam II
Small Tractor Beam II
Salvager II

100MN Afterburner (no MWD because of the cap penality)
Heavy Stasis Grappler or Web II (or sensor booster II to target quickly those annoying frigates)

Magnetic Field Stabilizer II
Damage Controle II
Large Armor Repairer II
Reactive Armor Hardener
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II or an other Magnetic Field Stabilizer II

Large Hybrid Burst Aerator I
Large Capacitor Control Circuit II

Small drone of your choice x10
Hammerhead II x5

I have 2min cap stable. never had any problem pulsing the Armor rep. When in trouble activate siege and pulse your armor rep.

I rarely use the siege module and i adjust from time to time my fit for irrationnals reasons:

• i sometime replace the propulsion module by an additionnal tracking computer so i have 2 range buffs and 1 tracking buff
  • i sometime replace 1 weapon upgrade by more tank
  • i had few drone links in the high but since the AI target on regular basis my drone, i cannot recall them fast enough when they are 60km away so i only use drone when my target is 25km away.
  • i sometime replace the webbing module by a sensor booster so i can kill faster those frigate before they get under my guns

In conclusion, since i never use the bastion module, i m asking myself over and over why the ■■■■ im using a marauder!

I use Bastion all the time. It’s pretty much essential for any mission with ECM or tracking disruption. As for why you’re flying a Marauder? It’s one of the few ships where you can effectively ‘shoot and loot’ without adversely affecting completion time. It has more cargo capacity, plenty of utility highs and costs 50-100% less to operate.

Also, the Space Police.

2 Likes

Indeed.

What’s the only thing better than warping in a Police Kronos to Damsel in Distress?

… Warping in TWO Police Kronoses to Damsel in Distress. ;D

:::has a pair of Paladins, Kronoses, and Vargurs, and loves them all for different things, but… the blaster Kronos pair just shreds Damsel and also 4th room of DPS (MJD straight to the BS cluster):::

2 Likes

Void is hard on Mercenaries. :anger:
And what’s better than a pair of Kronos? Bring two friends and have at it with three!

2 Likes

Some incursion friends of mine got together and did some 5 or 6 marauder VG incursion sites a few times. was fun, no logi, all bastion… but not as efficient as Vindis and NMs with logi, alas. :wink:

I’ve heard that some of the marauders had a web bonus similar to the Vindi’s web bonus back in the day. that must have been nice. but it was probably pre-bastion as well, yes?

Yeah, the Kronos had the same pre-Bastion 90% web bonus that the Vindicator did. There were many Incursion tears that day…

1 Like

paladin too. although that was back when webs were 90% and it was only a 10% bonus up to 99%. miss my 15km 99% domination web. I forget when exactly the paladin lost the bonus though.

1 Like

90% webs were definitely before my time…

As expected the Kronos is indeed the best option. I will pick one up for my Minmatar captain in the future. He has already Marauder 5 and all the salvaging/repcrocessing skills.
I’ll keep those fittings saved for him. Although I’m a bit shocked about the amount of bling on them.

As for the original question: I don’t want to train my Caldari captain in Marauders right now so it hast to be one of the second best choices. Navy Domi, Vindicator or Machariel. Whichever comes first at a good price.

Mach is my current favorite mission ship, although that’s with a heavy bias to blitzing, It can do the general mission pool fine but I have no idea if something is better overall or not. I’ve had so many ships for long enough that I just pull out whatever I like for the mission and use that.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.