Chapter 4: Panther
Sist.
A large shape that loomed over the background of stars.
The base station of the Tribal Intelligency Agency [TIA] grew bigger and bigger as they approached. Komi had almost slept the entire flight and was now standing behind Ka’hang who piloted the ship.
They could spot hundreds of beautiful small lights over the stations hard surface. Makatipid -her new ship- circled around the station.
“You can dock at Hangar 04/3b.” a scratchy tone replied out of the speakers.
Komi was afraid. Reporting back her failure -the biggest in her life- would be a challenge. She had taken a quick hot shower in the rusty shower stall and her hair was tied the usual way. A drop of water detached from heir hair and fell on the hard metal floor with a splash.
Makatipid crossed the forcefield that acted like a giant air lock and seperated the hangar air from the coldness of space. The forcefield unclenched as she ship passed trough, wiggeling around the ships hull with small sparks of light. There was not turning back now.
With a great blow the loading hatch fell to the floor. Komi had a quick talk with the hangar manager and he was seemingly not amused by all the refugees leaving the ship.
“You know, we cannot provide for them here, they’ll have to leave with the next shuttles. I’ll assign some quarters to them, but you’ll have to discuss this with Panther.”
Panther… Komi swallowed. Panther was the CEO of TIA and her direct boss. Not much was known about Panthers past, but she had some powerful connections within the Minmatar Republic. Komi got hired to extract secret Blueprints from pirate facilities Panther found valueable.
A large woman, ash blond hair, dressed in full combat gear walked into the hangar. 2 Marines on each side, who quickly seperated and cared about the refugees. Panthers face painted with a tattoo that proved tenacity. She was a capsuleer. One of those immortal humans, a demigod. Her presence made her taller than she actually was. Komi had never seen her without her tactical goggles but she imagined Panthers eyes just being dark as black holes. She shivers…
“Hey Panther, I have to tell you …” Komi began speaking.
“I already know.” Panthers voice was appealing. She didn’t seem that angry.
“No you don’t!” Komi got very emotional. “I’ve lost my entire crew. Only I survived. The mission was a desaster!”
Panther didn’t respond. The air in the hangar suddenly rose in pressure but just to Komi’s awareness.
It was hard not to start crying while she had to admit her mistakes publicly… what a shame
She lowered her head and voice.
“I’ll resign my post. I’m ashamed that I disappointed your trust. I will…-”
“Recruit Komi!” Panthers voice cuts the air.
Out of reflex Komi stood straight. Her eyes moistened.
“We’ve all made mistakes” Panther continued with a lower volume “You will get over it. Do you want to run like a coward?”
No reaction from Komi.
Panther shrugged it off. “You have to live with it. We all know the risks. You applied for this job and you didn’t succeed. Get used to it. I recruited you because you are a very good hacker with great potential so stand your ground like the professional you are! If you want to restore your honor you will not run away! Just think about the sacrifice of your ancestors or your crew. If they could see you now they would be ashamed.”
The words hit Komi deep inside her. The two women now were very close to each other and even if they were about the same size, Panther was much bigger in her own special way.
Panther touched Komis shoulder.“By the way I’m glad you survived, really. I don’t care about the losses. Your experience is more valueable than any ship. The cluster is a dark place and we all have our scars. You’ll get used to it.”
“Panther I can not…”
“Stop!” Panther was furious. “You will come into my office in two hours to get your new mission. Have I made it clear?”
“Yes Boss.” Komi squeaked.
Panther shook her head and told Komi: "I’ll hire some crew to equip your new… " She looked at the Makatipid “…ship with all required equipment. Your loss was expected and calculated… two hours!”
Komi was standing still until Panther had already taken some steps to the hangar exit. She forced herself to breathe.
“expected and calculated…” Komi shivered. Her Boss was right. The Universe was a dangerous place. And Panther was right about one more thing… Komi could not run away. If she did, her whole career as a pilot was over and her honor forever broken. She had no choice but to continue.
She stood there in the middle of the hangar very lost for some seconds. Then with heavy feet, she stepped to her quarters. She had survived the confrontation and had two hours left…
[ to be continued … ]

