L4 looting worth?

only if you grind constantly for hours on end missions back to back
someone like me does one or two missions
then go and do something else
i dont run many missions anyway so im not losing anything by looting and salvaging

2 Likes

not necessarly.

Some missions can be salvaged in a small amount of time, especially those with one room and everybody around, eg blockade or damsel.

just drop two packrat and let your salvage drone do their work while you snipe everything (eg in a nm or mach - or marauder). at the end of the mission there is only the need to BM the can of the mtu, and come back afterward in a fast hauler.
I do it with an alt as support sentry, drop mtu, mjd, warp in main, orbit the mtu @5, drop my mtu, launch salvage, attack.

In that case the additional amount of time required is less than the logistic required when getting minerals yourself (and eg forgetting to buy some when you need it)

1 Like

Looting large wrecks (battleships) can be very worthwhile. I believe you can make 150m+ per hour looting large wrecks, presuming that each wreck with loot holds at least 500k isk, and you can loot each wreck within 10 seconds. Do the maths.

1 Like

If I only run two to three missions each night due to limited time, dropping an MTU at the start of the mission and salvaging as I go, it does not take much time. Depending on the L4 mission, I may not have time to complete an extra mission instead of salvaging. Yes some I could blitz quickly. Others not so.

Heck if I get an Angel’s Extravaganza, it can be more beneficial to milk to mission over several downtimes, including salvaging and looting instead of turning it in and trying to blitz.

Now agreed, if I was going for absolute mac income, using a maurauder with perfect skills, blitzing and only looting/salvaging selectively I could do better. However, time available, skills, and fun factor are all aspects I include in my operational costs that can limit me from achieving max gain but which I will happily settle. Heck I could probably get a part time job, convert the pay to PLEX, making even more but I don’t want to go down that route either.

2 Likes

it’s definitely not the case. you don’t have infinite spawn and infinite cargo. sometimes when I do a mission I have to make two trips to get the stuff, in a bs.

yea maybe if you are the only person looting/salvaging in a null system full of capital ratters. Lv4 missions aren’t going to make anywhere near that many wrecks, especially not valuable large wrecks, most only have a metal scrap or some ammo. Heck looting zor can give 50mil and that only takes something like 40 seconds, its billions/hr!

I believe if you are going to run 2 accounts it’s just better to put them in separate missions and run them in parallel. Two dps ships speeds up the killing part, but can’t speed up the travel time, and travel time is one of the big slowdowns for mission running.

A while back I was grinding some standings on an alt and when I did run the blockade I used salvage drones and an MTU, and it’s just not a lot of value there. Sure it is good that you can cherry pick a few wrecks and get some extra isk out of it, but I don’t think it’s ever worth it to go back for loot.

Limited time and skills are definitely big factors that will dictate how you can run missions.

AE used to be one of the best missions, the alloyed trit bars were like 500k each or something, as everyone used polycarbon rigs and cargo expanding rigs. these days they go for ~16k. Everything I know about mission running these days says AE is one of the worst missions in game.

My general philosophy is that if what you are doing is fun then yea, keep doing it. When I was a newb a large portion of my corp went and ran cosmos missions together, we had a big swarm of assault frigs. It was fun, but way off of optimal. If you want to min/max come to the forums. Isk/hr is the main metric to measure that so most of what I post here focuses on that.

2 Likes

Since I am very stupid, I take my times and do the epic arcs. With TWO accounts. it’s faster when both accounts target the same rat.

I am not very stupid because I do those missions, I am stupid because I take the time to write everything I loot when I don’t blitz it. some missions can be completed quickly, thus bypassing some of the rats : in that case it’s not fair to note the loot since I only got a part of it.

I have to confess this is pretty stupid and sounds like masochism. and I feel bad.

Whatever, I have a program that parses all the loots and make statistical data.
The price given is the BO of the items looted+salvaged. Some missions I dont salvage/loot rooms with small ships.

here is the result of previous data :

1 Like

it’s good that someone records the data every so often. Nice to see where it goes over time. I try to record my isk and LP over a 1-3 hour window every now and then, find out if I’m slacking or not.

Back when missions dropped t1 mods I looted and salvaged pretty much everything and build tons of ships with the loot. Missions like damsel and gone berserk were great when they were first introduced. I also used to like running the Enemies Abound chain as it was an easy 100mil/hr+ if not more with the tags, loot, salvage, and LP. With burners and blitzing that level just isn’t attractive to me anymore. That and the salvage and meta mod markets are so over saturated from years of drops, prices have done almost nothing but go down the whole time I’ve been playing eve. That’s probably the main reason I can’t stand looting/salvaging anymore, it just isn’t what it used to be.

1 Like

If you look at the git project you’ll notice I also have anomalies and burner loot data. also exploration.

I previously made my program export the price evolution over time, as a graph (so as to know what keeps dropping and what stops dropping). However since I do one mission every green moon it is not very relevant.

Still, statistical data may show what is and what is not worth to salvage .
eg the epic mission “cowardly commander” is definitely worth looting. I think I made >60M bo on the first run but didn’t bother to note it. (I need to decide before I do a site if I will note the loot, to avoid post-loot biasis which would increase the perceived drop value)

1 Like

At least the drone chips are worth scooping now.

1 Like