Little things / Small QoL suggestions

idea : prevent fitting of undersized propmod on M and L ships

• newbros often try to fit their fresh new cruiser with their old civilian 1mn. There is no explanation in the game that this is bad, nor indication that this should not happen, besides the fitting tool which is good, but already overloaded.
  • Another “fix” could also be to change the name from eg “50MN” to “M” but I don’t like it cause it’s easier to find a specific name by searching “50mn” rather than “m microwarpdrive”.
  • basically limit installation of 1mn and 5mn to frigates and destroyers (all groups) ; and limit 10mn and 50mn to BC and lower.
  • not on caps because caps may use a 500MN for align time.
  • Maybe the cruiser one is the most important, and we can ignore the 50/10 MN not be used on BS.
  • I think the easiest way would be to prevent 1mn and 5mn from being installed on T1 cruisers and T1 BC, very simply. So an attribute like “can’t be fit to group” should be good.

Suggestion: Publish number of killmarks and ship name in killmail API
Keywords: api, killmail, social
Note: It’d be fun for a little bit of notoriety/history of the ships that you kill. Also I’m not sure if it’s available, but maybe it is for the dirt feature, the date of assembly of the ship would be neat.

1 Like

Suggestion : Separate out booster benefits and drawbacks in show info
Keywords : ui, booster, show info
Note : It’s very difficult to see what a particular booster does at a glance. The descriptions all have some bit of fluff that makes picking out the bonus slow and the details page has a bunch of + and - attributes that make zeroing in on the one you care about require reading each attribute. It would be nice if the bonus and side effects were separated into their own sections which would make getting familiar with boosters easier.

MS Paint Design:

:arrow_double_down: :arrow_double_down: :arrow_double_down:

4 Likes

Suggestion : Show booster durations in human readable formats everywhere (i.e. Show Info)
Keywords : ui, booster, show info, humans
Note : In some places in the UI we get a nice view of how long a booster lasts, but not everywhere. In particular the Show Info window always lists the number of seconds which makes it so difficult to tell how long they actually last.

e.g.
Instead of “2419200.00s” show “28 days”
Instead of “2419000.00s” show “27 days, 23 hours, 56, minutes, 40 seconds” or “27d 23h 56m 40s”

EDIT:
I guess this has been bugging me for literally years: Little things / Small QoL suggestions :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5 Likes

You can use different launcher profiles for that. Have a “Main” profile and “Krab” profile. When you need to swap characters, go via the gear and choose the other profile.

Suggestion : Allow taking notes on anything that you can Show Info on
Keywords : ui, show info, notes
Note : If you Show Info on a character you get a Notes tab where you can enter arbitrary text to refer to later. This is incredibly handy! I’ve regularly missed this ability with Corporation or Alliance show info, often resorting to storing the notes under the CEO or having a list of corporations in an ever growing note in my Notepad. It would be extremely useful to be able to take notes anything with a Show Info window, e.g. solar systems, structures, item types, etc, etc.

3 Likes

Suggestion : Allow resizing of contract window areas
Keywords : ui, contract
Note : This window seems to assume that item exchange contracts are only ever for 1-3 items, but that is often not the case. Allow us to resize the two areas to better be able to see the many items that could be on either side.

Suggestion : Show volume of purchased items in Buy window
Keywords : ui, market, buy
Note : I often want to fill up a DST with fuel blocks, or a BR with isotopes or ammo or something, but I always have to bust out the calculator. Would be great if I didn’t have to open the calculator window and figure out what size whatever I’m buying is.

There can be a legitimate use of fitting an undersized prop mod. Covetor, for instance, probably can’t fit a 10MN/50MN when fit for max m3/s, but can fit a 5MN and get a small speed boost.

I agree though that this would be a good addition to a warning on the fittings page like armor mods on a shield ship.

Suggestion: Images for each stage of ship manufacturing progress
Keywords: Ship, manufacturing, progress
Note: In industry window (25%-ship frame only, 50%- frame & engine, 75%-engine, wiring exposed)

It would be nice to see a few stages of my ship being built as I check on it. Currently, we input the materials and when the time is up, the ship appears in our inventory (kind of a huge anticipation in the beginning and disappointment at the end). The most satisfying part of industry is watching things grow or being built. It would be as simple as adding a still image for each stage (1/4 way complete - image of the frame of the ship, halfway complete - frame and engine exposed, 3/4 way complete - some wiring and parts of engine exposed). For capital ships, you can see some capital construction parts exposed and where they are on the ship. In the Industry Window, the image or artwork would be on the right side in place of the Outcome display you currently use. If doing that has a lot of negative programming consequences, you can add another window for the artwork or place the artwork in the background. This would be very rewarding to see when we open the industry tab to check on our job progress.

1 Like

Suggestion: Button to remove booster effects
Keywords: Boosters, Station UI, Med Bay, Booster rolling
Note: Change 4 actions to 1

Add a button in station/citadel UI that allows to remove booster effects for a fee
Station/Citadel should have a Cloning service

Currently it’s possible to remove booster effect by creating jump-clone on citadel and jumping back and forth (leave ship - jump - jump - board ship)
I suggest to change this 4 actions to 1 (push the button!!!)

2 Likes

Suggestion: Colored Neocom Icons
Keywords: Icons, UI, NPE
Note: Like we see in all modern design, a combination of simple icons and different colors are used to indicate certain functionalitys, they help the brain to recognize things.

This would massively help new players to learn the UI and improve the client usability for everyone - the red dot shouldn’t be the only colorful thing

Lets compare some commonly visible icons to see how easy they are to differentiate:
Bildschirmfoto vom 2020-08-20 11-03-46 Bildschirmfoto vom 2020-08-20 11-04-10 Bildschirmfoto vom 2020-08-20 11-08-02 Bildschirmfoto vom 2020-08-20 11-09-58 Bildschirmfoto vom 2020-08-20 11-24-07

exefile_2020-08-24_19-52-06 exefile_2020-08-24_19-46-45 exefile_2020-08-24_19-52-47

exefile_2020-08-24_19-48-30 exefile_2020-08-24_19-48-42

1 Like

Some of these icons may be/are joined in underlying functionality. So the icons are naturally obsoleted.

Suggestion: You should be able to create labels when you add characters as contacts.
Keywords: UI, contacts, people and places, contact creation
Notes: It is too cumbersome to create a contact, then go to PP, create a label, search for the previously made contact and try to assign the label via right click or drag’n’drop.

3 Likes

Suggestion: “Deliver All Jobs” in the Industry window should not tell you that it cannot deliver out of control range jobs; it should ask me if I want to deliver the Jobs that are in range.
Keywords: UI, industry window, range, deliver all
Notes: I just tried to deliver industry jobs. There were 20 out of my control range and 30 within my control range. Since the OOCR came before the ones ICR, the game just gave me the notification that I cannot deliver any jobs because they are out of range. This is not intuitive and only creates more busywork.

4 Likes

Suggestion: make the game stop skipping input sometimes.

When I select two boosters, right clicking, and left clicking on “Consume”, I expect the boosters to be consumed. Instead of game thinking that I make too much input per time frame and skipping some of it.

Those neocom (and station panel) icons used to be more colorful years ago… they spruced them up but made them very monotone at the same time.

Suggestion: Allow contracting between corp wallet divisions.
Currently if I’m building using wallet A, and selling using wallet B, I need to contract it out of corp wallet A to a character, then back in to corp wallet B from them. This is something I know has been requested a long time ago but never seems to have happened.
Keywords: Contracts, Corporation

1 Like

Suggestion: Fitting simulator should show EHP everywhere in the Defense section instead of HP.
Keyword: Simulator
Note: Yes, we can convert with some math, but why should we do that instead of the actual in-game tool giving us useful stats?

thank you