Main AFK cloaky thread

It’s a nerf to cloak-users everywhere in Eve. It’s not an enhancement.

2 Likes

It is a nerf for people using it afk.
Yes.
Not for actual active players.

There are valid reasons to stay cloaked for long times while being at the keyboard. I’ve been personally sitting at a hostile POS and keeping intel up during a wormhole-invasion for several hours straight. I am active even though I don’t move. Your idea (as well as most other “improvements”) would nerf that gameplay to fix the “problem” of AFK-cloakers.

1 Like

Then if you’re active there’s no issue pushing the button each cycles, as my idea asks for.

Why do I have to though? It’s a unnecessary nerf to"fix" a non-issue

A non-issue that CCP themselves have said is a non-issue.
That, according to CCP, is tied to local and it’s usage as a intel-channel and won’t be fixed without removing intel from local.

1 Like

Tweaks come when mecanics are exploited the wrong way, against players or to cheat.

If CCP wants to tweak cloaking with structures, it is because they recognise, that this mecanic, is exploited in some occasional situations.

What 1 single CCP guy says is not what CCP will do.
Whoever this CCP guy is.
It has been proven multiple times over the years.

I’ve done multiple things in Eve Online (not production and mining though).
In those things were cloaky scouting.
I see no nerfs is changing the mecanic of claok while hunting or scouting ACTIVELY.
I see none either while Probing or Hacking, or Transporting, or whatever else activities requiring Cloaking Device.
I never Blopped though, for this case, i don’t know.

The CCP-guy being, in no particular order:

CCP Fozzie
CCP Rise
CCP Falcon

of the top of my head.

And yet, they intend to release a structure changing something about intel.
So… ?

I already said that if the tweak is to delete local, i was in !
Local means intel for all sides.
Cloakies and inhabitant so… whatever…

One way or the other afk-cloaky-camping will be shut down.
Just a matter of time and choice from CCP.

Though, if it is local deleted chosen, it means that somehow WHs will lose some of its specificity.
Sad. But hey ! Change is good !

Knowing CCP, I feel that what you hope it will be is not what it will be. Be careful what you wish for.

That’s true. :slight_smile:

The point being that the structure changes intel gathering via local. That fixes afk cloaking without touching cloaks.

The only reason you can afk cloak is because of local. It simply doesn’t happen in WH’s.

2 Likes

There just needs to be some type of counter for submarines/stealth bombers.

Some type of radar ship that can track them to within a certain distance after a certain amount of time. Some type of radar ping, perhaps some depth charge type of counter.

Currently it seems they just sit there with zero counters to them, in any way shape or form.

I think being able to AFK for 24/7 without any type of counter is imbalanced.

There just needs to be a way to hunt them, narrow down the range, and then fire off depth charges into that area to try and hit them.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2016/02/18/darpas-unmanned-sub-hunter-set-to-revolutionize-naval-warfare.html

1 Like

The AFK play though is at different levels. The VNI ratter, still risks the rats aggression the drones or an NPC dread showing up and after 20 minutes or so runs out of rats and has to move; the miner’s hull fills and he’s got to eject a can, compress it next to his partner roq or fly back to a citadel to drop off the ore. It’s not really AFK as compared to a play who logs in his toon 15 minutes after downtime and leaves them cloaked in system for the next 23 hours, perhaps actually playing by doing a drop once a week to remain credible but otherwise effects all other players in system for essentially just paying for an extra account.

The discussions about local are an interesting sidebar but really don’t address the core problem–that people not playing are effecting many other players. I do know getting rid of local would effectively eliminate NS. Of course things could be integrated I suppose…things like graying out the true afk player (after say 2 hours) with the warp off timer causing that warp in delay once they return–perhaps making it only available to blue to the owner etc.

WH’s is a bad comparison. It’s not only the AFK, it’s the ability to jump in without gating from entire another region. Removing local from NS as it currently exist would be a terrible idea.

Make cloaks burn the same fuel as cynos would also address many of the afk concerns pretty well (hadn’t seen anyone mention it in this thread yet). Something reasonable say 10m3 of liquid O per hour; afk if you like but screw up the calculation and you’ll be uncloaked, or not be able to light a cyno and will need resupply at some point.

Making cloaks burn fuel screws with every ATK use of cloaks, especially WH’s. Why aren’t the anti-AFK cloak crowd crying out to simply ont allow a cloak and cyno to be mounted at the same time?

Cloaks are not the problem. In a WH a cloaky enemy is literally an existential threat depending on which corp they are from. Yet we don’t cry about it, we just hunt them. They provide us with content and vice versa,that’s the whole point of the game.

If you are complaining about cloaks instead of cloak+cyno you are purely trying to maintain a perfectly safespace to rat, Therereally can be no other reason for that view.

Please forgive any typos, we had a bbq tea of fish, burger, chicken and squid, and perhaps a few too many limoncello after the beer and rose wine…

1 Like

You hit the nail on the head. All they want to do is be able to rat and mine in perfect safety. The solution is to simply not allow a cyno and cloak to be put on the same ship. If they are cloaked with no cyno, they are no threat to you. If they have a cyno but no cloak, they can be hunted down and killed. Simple as that.

1 Like

eves own rule set defines cloaky camping as a bannable offense :slight_smile:

as evidenced here, ccp finds any afk action that provides a person or entity a tangible gain while “not being present playing the game” as a person utilizing an exploit :

no, afk campers are not gaining isk, however they are performing an activity that benefits individuals and groups while not being active at their keyboard and playing the game. Thus if you are afk cloaky camping you are technically by ccp definition exploiting the system and should end up with your account banned…

i am currently debating the finer points of this logic with ccp, (and i absolutely expect an answer that makes sense) … its all for nothing anyway as cloaky campers die out when the observatory arrays come later in they year or early next year…

90% of miners and ratters would be banned if that were the case…

:roll_eyes:
No it doesn’t its literally listed under the ‘not an exploit’ part of the website.

1 Like

What tickles me is the belief these folks have that observatory arrays will help them. Here’s what’s most likely:

1. Ratters set up observatory thinking it will buy them a safe ‘personal’ local.

2. Campers will cyno in fleet to melt the array for the killmail and giggles.

3. Campers will then keep cloakies in system to watch for the new array.

4. Ratters will cry for more nerfs, but be ignored because they can use observatories if they want local.

Observatories will only help the biggest alliances. Anywhere else they will be ISK sinks with a big target on them.

2 Likes