Mercenaries - A good idea?

There isn’t any.

The idea is unworkable conceptually and promotes non-social gameplay.

1 Like

Please inform me what opportunities for social gameplay new players or even solo high/lowsec players have at the outset?

Other than trying to join a corp - most of which are useless. Being able to talk in chat channels is the saving grace of the social aspect to Eve.

Introducing a mechanic that allows a few solo players to feel a bit more at ease while travelling between high and lowsec will not kill the many in-game industries. The only thing at risk of being affected are the endless opportunistic and empty entries on zkill. It will improve the game.

Let’s be objective here; if were to run a business, would you be prioritizing, and investing time / money on the ‘many’ clients who paid for your services or the ‘few’ ones who’d want a free ride? Maybe if that ‘few’ becomes a 1000 units/year for the next 3 yrs, only then I suppose it could be envisioned to adopt such investment - because they could represent future potential omegas.

Who’s getting a free ride?

I’m a 100% PvE/Indy player, currently paying for omega on 2 accounts (the other 4 are inactive due to lack of interest in the game beyond 1 or 2 accounts atm).

So your statement is untrue for myself and many other non pvp players who exist.

Was replying you, dear. Not saying you were the free riders. :laughing:

1 Like

Everything that isn’t solo cruiser in abyss.

You’re right, most corps are useless and it does take time to find a good one. But the reason the vast majority of corps are bad is actually because of ideas like this. Bad corps are a symptoms of gameplay that is too safe, too easy, too convenient and too isolationist.

The mobile tractor unit is a prime example. Something that new players could do right from day one was provide a salvage service for older players. They would strike up conversation with old players and ask if they could salvage missions for them for a cut of the loot. This was a service for vets because they could run missions faster than they could loot and sometimes were abandoning wrecks anyways.

In comes the noctis and then the mtu. Salvaging becomes a lot easier and more convenient for solo players. Business for salvagers is gone. A reason for players new and old reach out to eachother is gone.

That’s what you’re promoting. Players that can haul for eachother or fly with eachother for protection will be replaced by bots.

Seriously this idea is a non-starter.

2 Likes

No.

Self-reliance is good. You’re being fooled by the OP’s anti-social logic.
There is nothing self reliant in relying on NPCs helping you!

It’s not anti-social logic. It’s being practical.

EVE has a very serious problem with social contact for new players. If you don’t like new(ish) pilots playing solo, fix the social problem.

1 Like

No, it’s the same anti-social logic the OP exposed from post 0.
He wrongly believes that it is “self reliance” to rely on NPCs.

OP wrongly believes that giving people game mechanics that enable them to be less self reliant is a good thing. You’d still be more self reliant if you cared about makings friends who then can protect you, because then at least you did something! No, paying ISK isn’t equal to actually doing something for yourself!

I’m repeating this here, just to be sure:

Relying on others, even NPCs, is absolutely the opposite of being self-reliant!

I’ve never entered the abyss. I can’t be bothered to use that filament thing whatever it is i’ve seen as a free gift in my station hangar. Too much headwork. And I’ve seen all the npc kill reports. So much investment, so little success. It’s all a gamble.

Actually, most corps are bad because: people have lives and cannot play Eve all day long. Nobody is getting real currency for their time spent hauling, mining and being a station hitter for Test/Goon alliance fleets. It’s all by choice for a few hours of fun. So, there is zero guarantee of anyone fulfilling their role if they suddenly get bored/stray away from gameplay. This is normal.

I’m sorry. All of this is a logistical time consumer:- great in theory and in practice i’ve experienced a few successful teamups, but most attemps had hellish results.

The problem is you.

Excuse me?

OP and ELena Laskova
it is very easy to join a “newbie-friendly corp”. Some are bad, some are nice, yes. You can even create your own corp and recruit other rookies, and then you will try to learn the game altogether, you will rat together, do industry together, do abyssal sites with 3 t1 frigates etc. You will do with your corpmates some tasks that are easily done by a solo experimented player, yes, and you will learn and improve doing that, and you know what? you even get fun from that. Yes. You will loose ships, yes. And sometimes you will succeed in a difficult task together (doing a difficult combat site, building an expensive thing, getting your first citadel, doing a higher level abyssal site), and you will feel proud of your success. And you could even start talking with your corpmates on mumble/teamspeak, and soon you will talk with them about real life, job, your girlfriend etc.

so stop asking for somethg who would make you safer and help you to NOT interact with other players. I laugh when i see all the restrictions that the OP and the players who agree with him progressively added: npcs mercs could be used only in hi-sec, not during wars etc… At the end of the day, it will become “mercs npcs could be used onbly by OP and his friends”.
To be clear: Eve is a PVP game. and a sandbox MMO. And it is still alive because it carries a certain degree of difficulty and challenge, whereas most other MMOs die after a few years due to lack of content. Most players are proud of playing this game with a certain degree of difficulty.
If you want to play a game which allows you to play safely, with npcs helping you to play solo, without interacting with other players: this is the WRONG game for you. Play civilization, Mass effect (or dragon age), you can even play swtor (the pve part, without instances and raids) with your npc partners who will allow you to complete the story while not talking to any other player.

As often done by others, you come here, you propose somethg, most people here explain to you why it is a bad idea. Normally, you should say “mmmmm, if so many people disagree with me, maybe i am wrong and i could change my mind”. But no, you say "i am right, you are all wrong, and if you disagree with me, it is because you are all elite null sec blocks members/bumpers/veterans who don’t like newbies/…
ok
You don’t need a forum. A forurm means you can discuss and listen to the others arguments.

Thank you for completely misquoting my idea and then missing the point.

missing the point? you suggest to add merc npcs that you could pay to make you “stronger” (adding dps, adding hauling capacity, etc"?)
we tell you that you can already ask or pay other PLAYERS to help you (protect you while traveling, hauling things for you etc.) Yes paying merc players require some isks, but being in a corp and asking other corpmates does not cost you anythg else than… asking
it seems quite simple to me

1 Like

Natocha

Solecist represents a fairly large class of players who believe:

• Anything wrong with EVE is a due to changes made in the last ten years or so, “because EVE was perfect then”
  • Since EVE was perfect, and could be made so again by reversion, people who think otherwise are the problem. Any suggestion except reversion to the past just proves that the suggester is the issue.

Irrational of course, but no more so than the “Straw Man” addicts :slight_smile:

The most efficient (but not necessary the most entertaining) way to deal with this position is to ignore the posts completely. People who think that way cannot be persuaded.

1 Like

WOW. Thank you so much Elena for your feedback!

I’m not putting my idea forward as as if to say “this is what I think should happen and if it doesn’t then the game sux!”.

I’m simply suggesting a possible new feature (which I know will probably never be implemented in the slightest; but just for the sake of a discussion, what if it were possible? How could it work? What would be the good points/bad points?

That’s all :slight_smile:

I’m currently at four out of ten, one of which is learning corp management in a wormhole because they wanted to give it a try. So progress is being made.

Realistically any sort of feature like this is going to be abused in some way by everyone once they find a way to do it. Also rather than adding in more things, why not make use of what’s already existing and just add more faction police to high systems that do timed patrols instead.