Musing on how to best better humanity

See? You scared him off, @Lasairiona_Raske

2 Likes

To have compassion.

Get more people to have more compassion and less greed.

1 Like

Damn.

only relativity is absolute

you answer your own question here.
your idea of a better humanity seem to be centered around knowledge and comfort.

Then you know what to do:
learn, from whatever source you can and apply this knowledge.

From my own point of view, there is no “better”, only evolution.

everything in this universe is a fractal.

groups act like atoms, electron leaving and coming, exchanging energy and thus changing the charge of the atom, as people come and go from groups to groups, propagating ideas, morals and culture.

I’m no psychologist, but to me it look like you are looking for a path. my advice would be to search for what make you live each day.
based on that, look for a path to get there, whatever the cost, whatever it take.

if you find no path you like, then maybe your objective isn’t what you think it is.

2 Likes

Negative.

knowing that exact “click” for such a “eureka!” state is ever changing. I guess that’s the beauty of it. I, for example, may find out how to better my own humanity tomorrow…for my past self, not present, and it might not fit for the future. I’m not philosopher by any means. But I don’t think I (or my humanity is) am meant to get better. An ever changing spectrum for an ever changing individual.

Then thinking about the concepts of clones into the mix, if you believe your clone is “you” or not “you”. If you fluctuate with Omega and Alpha Clones, one might think about this more?

Then what happens if one were to be biomassed? It wouldn’t be out of the realm of belief that a saved mind can get sent to a different clone?

Oh gosh, and infinite parallel universes. We may or may not have found that solution? So, we’re in a constant state of both always and never the best at bettering humanity?

My word, rambling like a mad man for too long on a subject I barely comprehend. I’ll guess, but I personally don’t want to know. Bettering isn’t always for the best. My better “me” to better humanity would probably be boring as all-get-out anyways.

Maybe if I say, “BOO!” really loud and wiggle my fingers?

1 Like

You have, indeed, answered yourself right here. There will be times when to advance will be an unpopular choice and will leave you branded a traitor. Those who wield brands and narrow, factional points of view will pass into the noise of history.

If you wish to advance our knowledge and know that the welfare of humanity relies on that advancement, do so.

You have done so in the past - when it was not worth studying the Vigilant Tyrannos and the only course suitable was to “pursue and destroy all of them as a holy enemy” or whatnot. You and your organization learned from their works and even turned profit on raids on their facilities.

Your organization raced forward to be the first to recover the blueprint and components of the Blackglass implant, now used far and wide by advanced explorer capsuleers around the entire cluster.

Your organization was the first to break the Triglavian encoding and show the cluster the first ever recording of their starships and the Abyss.

Yes - the very moment you step out of what other people see as approved you will be slapped with a thousand labels. It was a “Dishonorable liar” from a minority, it may be a “Traitor of humanity” from more. In the end, no matter the label, the result is there on the table.

And for the love of every god we ever came up with, no matter how perverse and strange the deity, if you say “but it was not me, it was all you guys” I will go into your office and slap you in the face with a big fish. And it will not be a fresh one.

You have become a person to rally under. Someone with conviction to keep moving forward, regardless of what the big wigs at CONCORD say. You have managed to bring under your banner people from both heavily anti-authoritarian leaning and slightly pro-empire.

4 Likes

Ms. Seo, I’ve advised my staff to verify that you are free of rotten fish before you’re allowed into my offices.

4 Likes

TL;DR: Incentives are essential, and science give answers. Watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFEgohhfxOA and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNMkADpvO4w ; these two videos are good starting points for further research and discussion.

When considering deep philosophical questions like this one, I always start by defining important terms. I’ll start with “humanity” as that’s the easiest.

The term “humanity”, in its most common usage, designates a species. What does being a species mean? It means we’re a gene pool—we can reproduce with each other, but not with non-humans. Of course not every human can reproduce in the normal fashion. Some of us are too old, too young, have some medical condition that prevents it, or just aren’t interested. But even so, no human is more than one generation removed from someone who was capable of having kids with another human at some point. That means that all the alleles in any particular human’s genome could show up in any future human (except for mutations unique to humans who can’t reproduce, but those don’t get passed on to anybody at all so they don’t really matter). That’s the important distinction between species—future humans will have a mix of current human genes, plus any mutations that arise and persist. Similarly, future fedos will have a mix of current fedo genes, plus any new mutations that arise in their genome. But no human will ever have genes inherited from a fedo, or vice-versa.

In short, the humans of the future will be the product of the humans of the present, just as we were the products of the humans of the past.

One important footnote is that our cultural inheritance follows similar rules to the genetic inheritance rules described above, though more loosely (the “meme” concept). Contemporary human culture is the product of ancient human cultures blending together and splitting apart, with new changes and additions; and the culture of future humans will presumably be the result of similar processes. But, despite the best efforts of many groups to establish relationships between us humans and rogue drones our cultures remain separate—rogue drones are of different “species,” and their cultures are too alien for us to adopt any of their elements. (For more on cultural inheritance as an analogue to genetic inheritance, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meme).

The next term we need to define is “better.” “Better” is generally defined as “more in accordance with some standard.” In the specific instance of @Makoto_Priano’s question, the standard in question is morality/ethics (I believe, @Makoto_Priano can correct me if I’m wrong).

In this piece I’ll be defining “morality” as a general set of guiding principles humans use to decide whether certain behaviors are acceptable, and “ethics” as more specific rules borne of applying those guiding principles to specific situations. Generally individuals have unique moral/ethical norms, but they are closely based on those of their society, and certain principles are widely shared even between very different societies (for example, all human societies I know of have some ethical prohibitions against killing other humans, though the details and exceptions vary widely). When we encounter behavior that follows our moral principles and is in accordance with our ethical rules, we tend to reward that behavior; when we encounter behavior that goes against those principles or breaks those rules, we tend to punish it. This occurs both on the individual and on the societal level.

The capability for having moral norms and ethical rules is a genetic adaptation, borne of natural selection. The degree and mechanisms of influence of genetics and environment on what the norms and rules specifically end up being is a subject of debate (among people a lot more intelligent and knowledgeable than me, so I will leave the argument to them).

Certain behaviors persist and spread, others do not. For behaviors that are genetic in nature the rules of natural selection (and sexual selection, and genetic drift, and other factors) determine whether the behavior spreads. Culturally/environmentally-determined behaviors loosely follows some of the same rules (see above). The complex behavioral traits we care about (like tribalism, nationalism, criminality, openness, altruism, warfare, propensity to messing with stars, and so on) are greatly influenced by both genetics and environment, so the rules of both apply to some degree.

Many efforts have been made to try to eradicate “evil” or “violent” impulses or intentions from humanity. The Jove are especially famous for this kind of thing. All these attempts were doomed to fail because the people who tried them ignored the fact that these behaviors are the product of selection; eliminating the behavior won’t eliminate the selective pressures that led to the behavior emerging, so the behavior will reappear. In many cases the preponderance of a behavior revolves around an equilibrium (see the amazing video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNMkADpvO4w for an example of how this can work). The rewards and punishments that individuals and society give for behaviors based on moral norms and ethical rules influence this equilibrium.

The ultimate conclusion here is that the only way to effect long-term changes in human behavior is to change the incentives (the selective pressures) that gave rise to the behavior. Otherwise, things will just revert to the way they are now. This means finding better ways to reward the behaviors you want to see and punish those you don’t.

2 Likes

Noted. Will buy fresh. Trout or Halibut?

1 Like

Ocilan had the right idea. Shed this mess and go home.

Always go for the halibut.

1 Like

How to better humanity.

Hmm… kicking the Amarr out of it would be a nice start.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.